Prospect Info: Otto Stenberg, 25th, 2023

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I don’t dislike Stenberg, but can someone sell me on why he’s a better pick than Musty or Ritchie?

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I don’t dislike Stenberg, but can someone sell me on why he’s a better pick than Musty or Ritchie?

Because he's a better offensive player, in my opinion. Fantastic shot, great skater, great on the powerplay, and though I don't think he'll be a center, there's always a place for a speedy, forechecking wing who can help facilitate a powerplay.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
i had ritchie ranked higher, but think both should be quality nhl players. ritchie is more likely to stick at center but stenberg i think has potential to maybe put up more offense.

What do you like about Ritchie? He is strong. Strong skater (literaly strong, not like skating is a strength cause his acceleration and top spped is meh but he has a strong stride and is strong on his skates), strong on the boards. But thats it as far as I'm concerned. Only 1 ppg in the OHL? That's not great for a guy who is poor defensively. Musty and Barlow are 1.47 and 1.34 respectively. I know production isn't everything, but I just don't see it with the eye test either.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
What do you like about Ritchie? He is strong. Strong skater, strong on the boards. But thats it as far as I'm concerned. Only 1 ppg in the OHL? That's not great for a guy who is poor defensively. Musty and Barlow are 1.47 and 1.34 respectively. I know production isn't everything, but I just don't see it with the eye test either.
i like ritchie's offensive sense, his passing, vision. every time i watched him he was making quiet plays to set up scoring chances. he played through injury this year (shoulder) so his numbers weren't what you would hope. i think once his body fills out he will be better skater and can be strong 2nd line center. my question about him would be is hedriven tobe a star or just complimentary player? i think stenberg is more cocky player, which is nice in that i think he wants to be great. if i thought stenberg was center i would rate him higher than 18, but ritchie has positional value.

i do like this pick a lot though, as he was captain and leading scorer of sweden u18 team that probably shoulda won gold medal. he is great add to our prospect pool. i know people say steen as comp for stenberg, but i see a lot of perron in his game.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
i like ritchie's offensive sense, his passing, vision. every time i watched him he was making quiet plays to set up scoring chances. he played through injury this year (shoulder) so his numbers weren't what you would hope. i think once his body fills out he will be better skater and can be strong 2nd line center. my question about him would be is hedriven tobe a star or just complimentary player? i think stenberg is more cocky player, which is nice in that i think he wants to be great. if i thought stenberg was center i would rate him higher than 18, but ritchie has positional value.

i do like this pick a lot though, as he was captain and leading scorer of sweden u18 team that probably shoulda won gold medal. he is great add to our prospect pool. i know people say steen as comp for stenberg, but i see a lot of perron in his game.

Hmm, I didn't know he played injured. That definitely factors in. I didn't spend as much time watching prospects as you. What I did see, he tended to force passes across the middle that weren't there. Seems that's his go to. Hold the puck, pass it across the middle whether its there or not. But if you saw good vision, I believe you.

I also read but didn't see that he played C and wing, and would get confused as to which he was playing in the D zone. That really turned me off. If he is lining up as wing, even part of the time in OHL, how does he project as a C in NHL? Never mind forgetting your defensive assignment.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hmm, I didn't know he played injured. That definitely factors in. I didn't spend as much time watching prospects as you. What I did see, he tended to force passes across the middle that weren't there. Seems that's his go to. Hold the puck, pass it across the middle whether its there or not. But if you saw good vision, I believe you.

I also read but didn't see that he played C and wing, and would get confused as to which he was playing in the D zone. That really turned me off. If he is lining up as wing, even part of the time in OHL, how does he project as a C in NHL? Never mind forgetting your defensive assignment.
my understanding is when he reinjured himself late in season he came back with limited mobility in the shoulder so he played wing bc he couldn't take faceoffs. he had surgery after season to fix the shoulder and is still recovering (he was in sling at combine and didn't test). you may have noticed he struggled putting jersey on tonight. i think he and stenberg were on same tier, so i have no qualms with picking stenberg, especially since we got center earlier tonight, but ritchie is a guy who i think will absolutely outperform his draft position.

Reactions: The Note

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I like this pick alot. We have alot of very solid on puck type of players coming up with good two-way ability. Snuggerud, Stenberg, Dvorsky, Neighbors. Those guys are what we had with our old core that was a winning formula. The direction of the amateur scouting team has been really really good.

Throw in a couple of high ceiling offensive players like Kyrou and Bolduc and we're in a good spot.

Thomas I see a bit as a two-way guy who has elite offensive ability but not the compete level of the first group i listed. His compete level isn't bad but that first group of four looks to be very active on retreivals in the offensive zone and a pain in the ass to play against. I also have alot higher hopes for Thomas' defensive game than he's shown at the NHL level this past year. He was an extremely good defensive player in his draft year. Pretty sure I remember him being responsible enough that London threw him on the defensive end of their PK for a while.

I'm not as familiar with Dean as I haven't really gotten in to him too much.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Because he's a better offensive player, in my opinion. Fantastic shot, great skater, great on the powerplay, and though I don't think he'll be a center, there's always a place for a speedy, forechecking wing who can help facilitate a powerplay.
Better offensively than musty? Come on now…..

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I'm greatly impressed that so many of you know a lot about people I have never heard of.
Some people (pointing finger at myself) are just doing some quick research and watching a couple videos.

Others have clearly invested a lot of time in this draft.

HF Blues has historically had some really good information and discussions about drafts. When we were rebuilding, there were a lot of us heavily invested in drafting and prospects.

I am sure that as we are drafting in better spots and having more picks, more people will be more invested in research and analysis.

We have a good community in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad