Prospect Info: Otto Stenberg, 25th, 2023

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I beg to differ. Stenberg comes to play and will try to beat you and lead his team to beat you anyway he can. I didn’t see a scenario where we would get Stenberg. I am ecstatic that we did. Super player

I like Stenberg a lot, I just don’t think he’s on Dvorsky’s skill level.

Reactions: Blueston

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Either you’re extremely high on Stenberg or not as high on Dvorsky
Little bit of both. I remained high on Stenberg even when people were statwatching and didn't get their sacred 1,5ppg+ in j20 or whatever and suddenly Dower Nilsson was the next Wayne Gretzky because he scored more. There is so many things to like about Stenberg as a hockey player. In terms of toolset, attitude and more I think sky is the limit in terms of what he can become. Obviously things has to go together at the right time, and I am concerned about his ice time and other things coming into next year which could hamper his development(he is on the same team that Lucas Raymond struggled to get his on), but if things go right I think you have the potential to get a high upside 2way-winger.

I see no reason Dvorsky doesn't become a decent NHLer, but personally I struggle to see the high upside at NHL level. His skating really needs to take a stride(no pun intended) before I feel safe saying he is a player that is going to lift the Blues into a different stratosphere or something like that. I guess it is partly because of his skating, but he also has a tendency to make the easy plays during stressful situations the at the higher levels he plays at, instead of a play that might be better and that a player of his caliber should be making(or at least attempting, even if it fails right now, to build a strong foundation). So upside is the thing I have been questioning with Dvorsky, even though he straight up slaps at the junior level, especially under-18s since he is so physically developed compared to pretty much everyone, but that is also something that has been to his advantage compared to some of his peers at the junior level that won't exist in the NHL.

But again, if his skating improves and he can then start making high level plays that he has the skillset(outside of the skating) to do, and I start to see that at senior level, I will change my mind. I just don't think there is enough to call a big separation between Dvorsky and Stenberg as prospects, and while I believe Dvorsky could be an NHLer sooner, I think there are good reasons to believe Stenberg could become the better player in the long run, even though that is absolutely no guarantee.

Watched these guys a ton since they are based in Sweden, and cheer for both to have great careers!
Dvorsky is an elite talent. Stenberg is good, but he’s not on Dvorsky‘s level.
I simply don't agree that they are in different tiers of prospect. Depends on what you categorize as elite, but I either see it as both are or neither are elite.

EDIT: If anyone doesn't like my not overly positive opinion on Dali, at least consider the fact that getting both in the top 25 should be seen as a dub.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Little bit of both. I remained high on Stenberg even when people were statwatching and didn't get their sacred 1,5ppg+ in j20 or whatever and suddenly Dower Nilsson was the next Wayne Gretzky because he scored more. There is so many things to like about Stenberg as a hockey player. In terms of toolset, attitude and more I think sky is the limit in terms of what he can become. Obviously things has to go together at the right time, and I am concerned about his ice time and other things coming into next year which could hamper his development(he is on the same team that Lucas Raymond struggled to get his on), but if things go right I think you have the potential to get a high upside 2way-winger.

I see no reason Dvorsky doesn't become a decent NHLer, but personally I struggle to see the high upside at NHL level. His skating really needs to take a stride(no pun intended) before I feel safe saying he is a player that is going to lift the Blues into a different stratosphere or something like that. I guess it is partly because of his skating, but he also has a tendency to make the easy plays during stressful situations the at the higher levels he plays at, instead of a play that might be better and that a player of his caliber should be making(or at least attempting, even if it fails right now, to build a strong foundation). So upside is the thing I have been questioning with Dvorsky, even though he straight up slaps at the junior level, especially under-18s since he is so physically developed compared to pretty much everyone, but that is also something that has been to his advantage compared to some of his peers at the junior level that won't exist in the NHL.

But again, if his skating improves and he can then start making high level plays that he has the skillset(outside of the skating) to do, and I start to see that at senior level, I will change my mind. I just don't think there is enough to call a big separation between Dvorsky and Stenberg as prospects, and while I believe Dvorsky could be an NHLer sooner, I think there are good reasons to believe Stenberg could become the better player in the long run, even though that is absolutely no guarantee.

Watched these guys a ton since they are based in Sweden, and cheer for both to have great careers!

I simply don't agree that they are in different tiers of prospect. Depends on what you categorize as elite, but I either see it as both are or neither are elite.

EDIT: If anyone doesn't like my not overly positive opinion on Dali, at least consider the fact that getting both in the top 25 should be seen as a dub.
I think you share some of my concerns about Dvorsky. But, I am more positive on him being able to make those strides.

I also could see Sternberg in the same tier of player in their careers.

I do think Dvorsky has the edge on reaching that level at the moment.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

Thanks for this write up! It never hurts to have some expectations tempered, and obviously we all hope they can work on things and come in and kill it! Hopefully we can get some insight from you as the season progresses? Cheers mate :cheers:

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Thanks for this write up! It never hurts to have some expectations tempered, and obviously we all hope they can work on things and come in and kill it! Hopefully we can get some insight from you as the season progresses? Cheers mate :cheers:
Absoutely agree, and there is nothing to suggest that either could not improve and become the best player possible!

Also, my opinion is as good or bad as anyone elses, I just happen to be more pretentious and involved in swedish junior hockey than the average fan.

I will try to jump in at some point this season and give my opinion. Unfortunately(for me) Dvorsky is loaned to the SHL next year, and I live almost within an hour to like 5 Allsvenskan teams, including AIK. But I will try to catch both in club play and as well as World Juniors, and hopefully they will both get sufficient ice time at the pros this year(less concerned for Dvorsky). Cheers!!

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Stenberg smashed his face against the board. He went to a X-ray yesterday, but no news about his status. Hopefully nothing major, and Frölunda confirmed no concusion which is good news.

Reactions: southsider

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
Stenberg smashed his face against the board. He went to a X-ray yesterday, but no news about his status. Hopefully nothing major, and Frölunda confirmed no concusion which is good news.
If he wants to be a Blue he'll learn to just rub some dirt on it & be ready for his next shift.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
As much as I'd love a Colaiacovo gif for the new era, I'd rather our top prospects avoid anything that gets them mentioned alongside the board's all-time leader on our injury report.
I think that has to be taken over by Peru by now. Cola did make it into the starting roster 10 games a season. Not sure Peru is going to get there. Hope I am wrong

Reactions: BleedBlue14

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t think Steen was more skilled.

I don't think Steen was more skilled either. ROR makes some pretty nifty plays at times. Steen was clearly the better goal scorer, much more physical and aggressive.

Stenberg injured already? Sheesh.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I don't think Steen was more skilled either. ROR makes some pretty nifty plays at times. Steen was clearly the better goal scorer, much more physical and aggressive.

Stenberg injured already? Sheesh.

Clearly the better goal scorer? Not really. ROR has more goals, more assists and played less games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad