Ottawa U18 Part 4

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
We'll agree to disagree on this point.....Ask your son if he would rather play 40 games against the same teams or if he would rather play against the best teams in the top 3-5 tournaments for Minor Midgets.....The league originally said it would save parents lots of money and it hasn't done that.

play the best teams in tournaments in toronto is subjective.
in your own league you play, 12 games against decent competition but the other 25 or so is weak.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
part of reason some of 2000's maybe stepped up is because,first they are older, have matured and are not playing against alot of 99 kids,like they did last yr.
im a big believer that lots of kids develope later and sometimes all they need is the opportunity.more kids in heo makes it better for more kids.

I think most of these kids that stepped up are late bloomers and finally getting the opportunity to show what they have. A lot of them never played AAA but they outperformed the ones that played AAA every year. This is one of the pros of this league now wish they could get rid of a few more cons.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
I think most of these kids that stepped up are late bloomers and finally getting the opportunity to show what they have. A lot of them never played AAA but they outperformed the ones that played AAA every year. This is one of the pros of this league now wish they could get rid of a few more cons.

not sure what that last comment ment, but agree with everything else you say

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
play the best teams in tournaments in toronto is subjective.
in your own league you play, 12 games against decent competition but the other 25 or so is weak.

How is the Silver Stick, Marlies Classic and OHL Cup subjective? Did you ask your son if he missed playing in tournaments?

ValleyTitans

Jul 18, 2015
If making money is ok in youth hockey then open the borders and forget about the U18 draft. Play wherever you want and may the best association win.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
How is the Silver Stick, Marlies Classic and OHL Cup subjective? Did you ask your son if he missed playing in tournaments?

he himself didnt miss those.by his minor midget yr, he had played in 25-30 through the yrs.the yr he played aaa with its 6 teams locally got real repetitive quickly and two teams dominated, every one else was just surviving.
he liked the variety with heo and its more teams.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
If making money is ok in youth hockey then open the borders and forget about the U18 draft. Play wherever you want and may the best association win.

the cost of either system is close to the same.
when you factor in having to go out of town 3-5 times a yr.
wether im giving it to a cchl team or the holiday inn, the bottom line is, its still $ out of my pocket.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

If the CCHL can make money at it. It will happen.Open borders? Imports?
Imports at minor hockey never happen? CCHL teams are opening up academy's to get transfers of minor aged players approved. Are they not?

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
not sure what that last comment ment, but agree with everything else you say

Means giving more opportunities to kids to prove themselves is a benefit of this league. The lack of communication by people running this league is a negative and if relationship between league and players/parents gets better then it would help. The scouts do not even know who runs this league.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Means giving more opportunities to kids to prove themselves is a benefit of this league. The lack of communication by people running this league is a negative and if relationship between league and players/parents gets better then it would help. The scouts do not even know who runs this league.

This league was to be co run by HEO Minor and the U 18 executive but in reality it is run by the CCHL.

IN HEO Minors last breath they should end the 3 year pilot and force a discussion to create a different league.
Let the pilot finish its third year and take all year to form a plan to create a new competitive program that benefits the players. Talk to the players/parents, associations.
Do what the paying people want. Listen to the public. Do what is right by the player not the associations, HEO or the CCHL.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
he himself didnt miss those.by his minor midget yr, he had played in 25-30 through the yrs.the yr he played aaa with its 6 teams locally got real repetitive quickly and two teams dominated, every one else was just surviving.
he liked the variety with heo and its more teams.

That is good, If he was happy playing the same teams every Sat. and Mon. and not missing playing against the best in tourneys that's fine....Best of luck to him in the future as hockey should be fun.and a challenge in order to keep interested in it.

60 minutes

Jan 10, 2012
PLK RBC Cup Champs 2011 and CPC 2017

Bold 1 Yes I do.
Bold 2 He is not finding them hear is he?
Bold 3 Pembroke had the most amount of imports when they won also. Wake up.

Just wanted to share the make up of the PLK team in 2011 and this years CPC team.

PLK 2011
25 man roster

14 HEO players
6 US players
5 from out of district (Canadian)

Playoffs
Number 1 goalie-HEO
6 of top 10 in team scoring from HEO

CPC 2017
23 man roster (including 1 AP)

8 HEO players
5 US players
10 from out of district (Canadian)

Playoffs
Number 1 goalie- not HEO
2 of top 10 in team scoring from HEO

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Just wanted to share the make up of the PLK team in 2011 and this years CPC team.

PLK 2011
25 man roster

14 HEO players
6 US players

Playoffs
Number 1 goalie-HEO

CPC 2017

8 HEO players I see only 6 am I incorrect?
5 US players

Playoffs
Number 1 goalie- not HEO

Got this right from the Pembroke Kings website.
2007-08 season[edit]
Sheldon Keefe recruited players deep into the United States and poaching the best U.S.-born players. The Lumber Kings roster was made up of mostly American players. This paid off as the Lumber Kings won their second-consecutive Art Bogart Cup with a 5-0 win with goals from U.S born players Brandon Richardson and Scott Wentworth over the Smiths Falls Bears in game 5. Going into the Fred Page Cup the Lumber Kings were ranked number one in all of Canada in the CJHL polls for the last month of the season and highly favored to win the 2008 RBC. However, the Lumber Kings were upset as the Fred Page Cup was won by the Pictou County Weeks Crushers of the Maritime Junior Hockey League.

60 minutes

Jan 10, 2012
2007-08 season[edit]
Sheldon Keefe recruited players deep into the United States and poaching the best U.S.-born players. The Lumber Kings roster was made up of mostly American players. This paid off as the Lumber Kings won their second-consecutive Art Bogart Cup with a 5-0 win with goals from U.S born players Brandon Richardson and Scott Wentworth over the Smiths Falls Bears in game 5. Going into the Fred Page Cup the Lumber Kings were ranked number one in all of Canada in the CJHL polls for the last month of the season and highly favored to win the 2008 RBC. However, the Lumber Kings were upset as the Fred Page Cup was won by the Pictou County Weeks Crushers of the Maritime Junior Hockey League.

This is what I have uncovered.

PLK 2007/08
23 man roster

10 HEO players
11 US players
2 from out of district (Northern Ontario)

Playoffs
Both goalies US
4 of top 10 in team scoring from HEO

PLK 2016/17
21 man roster

7 HEO players
8 US players
6 from out of district (Canadian)

Playoffs
Missed playoffs

My point is that the HEO players were a big part of successful PLK teams prior to U18...43% of the roster in 2007/08, 56% of roster in 2010/11.
This years PLK team 33% of roster were HEO players. This years CPC roster 35%.
Should the numbers not be going up rather than down?

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
2007-08 season[edit]

your one of two people, part of of old aaa regiem or one of these parents with a mid range player.if its the latter, time is running out,we humans continue to age and windows begin to close.if other, dang, buisness is buisness and as long as there is money and ego on the line, the fight continues.
i love a good debate:)

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
your one of two people, part of of old aaa regiem or one of these parents with a mid range player.if its the latter, time is running out,we humans continue to age and windows begin to close.if other, dang, buisness is buisness and as long as there is money and ego on the line, the fight continues.
i love a good debate:)

two springs ago,i attended a meeting put on by one of the old aaa teams,
this was one last push by them to muster support to stop the new heo from taking away their buisness.
one of the questions a parent had was with regards to what was going to happen to families $,those that had already paid for this aaa teams spring camp?
the member reassured the person and everyone else in the room that if the camp did not take place, not to worry,they had more than enough $ to pay everyone back,WHOOPS, there was abit of a gasp in the room with this comment.:amazed:
and the old aaa was all about the hockey?????:sarcasm:

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017

PLK 2007/08
23 man roster

10 HEO players
11 US players

Playoffs
Both goalies US

PLK 2016/17
21 man roster

7 HEO players
8 US players

Playoffs
Missed playoffs

My point is that the HEO players were a big part of successful PLK teams prior to U18...43% of the roster in 2007/08, 56% of roster in 2010/11.

cp has had alot of success lately and as a result of that, the word is out that this is the place to play if you want to win, get reconized and even perhaps nhl drafted.
due to this, lots of kids from all over want to be a part of whats going on there, we humans are very much copycat like in our thinking.
i assure you things will eventually swing and our focus will be on another team who begins to have success, most of us are front runners and dont think to think outside the box.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

PLK 2007/08
23 man roster

10 HEO players
11 US players

Playoffs
Both goalies US

PLK 2016/17
21 man roster

7 HEO players
8 US players

Playoffs
Missed playoffs

The HEO numbers are going down because the CCHL is a pay to play league. The CCHL owners need the money to finance their teams.
The HEO U18 league will not increase HEO players in the CCHL because the U18 league is not producing quality mid range players.
It is producing some high end talent for OHL and CCHL then players for CCHL2.

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010

PLK 2011
25 man roster

14 HEO players
6 US players

Playoffs
Number 1 goalie-HEO

CPC 2017

8 HEO players
5 US players

Playoffs
Number 1 goalie- not HEO

Be careful to compare apples to apples. In 2011 I believe any player from outside HEO was considered an import and teams were allowed I think 6. Once they played a year in CCHL they were no longer imports. In 2016 any player from outside Canada was considered an import. Not sure how many were allowed. But I think you could have 10 players from TO if you wanted. The other thing to watch when looking at rosters to compare number of HEO players is to check playoff rosters. Allot of teams brag about all the HEO players they sign at start of season, but that number changes after Jan 10th as players are sent down to CCHL2 and U18 so they can bring in better players from outside HEO. Don't quote me on specific numbers, but I think you get the idea.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
You guys like numbers.....please provide me 12 teams in any Jr A league in North America that has over half local players players playing on their team and all 12 teams must be with in 3hrs of each other or 9 teams with in 45 mins....

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
You guys like numbers.....please provide me 12 teams in any Jr A league in North America that has over half local players players playing on their team and all 12 teams must be with in 3hrs of each other or 9 teams with in 45 mins....

I don't know the numbers but if you are saying the CCHL is the only league that does this great...It should have at least 50% local players and numbers should rise as you are grooming them from the age of 15 now.

ValleyTitans

Jul 18, 2015
Are we going to a club system here in eastern Ontario? It sure looks like it. Up in the valley will Pembroke control my kid from novice on up?

60 minutes

Jan 10, 2012

Just checked the posted CCHL rosters for 2016-2017 season and found that 8 out of 12 teams list 45% or more HEO players. The remaining 4 teams range from 22% to 35% HEO players.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Be careful to compare apples to apples. In 2011 I believe any player from outside HEO was considered an import and teams were allowed I think 6. Once they played a year in CCHL they were no longer imports. In 2016 any player from outside Canada was considered an import. Not sure how many were allowed. But I think you could have 10 players from TO if you wanted. The other thing to watch when looking at rosters to compare number of HEO players is to check playoff rosters. Allot of teams brag about all the HEO players they sign at start of season, but that number changes after Jan 10th as players are sent down to CCHL2 and U18 so they can bring in better players from outside HEO. Don't quote me on specific numbers, but I think you get the idea.

some legit poinst.but you want a competitive league, the owners are incurring cost so fair to recover those and if you make a profit, your probably producing winning,
entertaining and successfull playoff runs.sounds like mandating a certain % of local talent will not attain this.
u18 is for development, jr a is quite high level hockey.you gotta make it on ability.
doesnt make sense that a cchl team wouldnt take a local kid if his whole game is same as import.taking local kid would be good for buisness

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

Like I have said before I do not care what you do at Junior CCHL or CCHL 2.\
Just stop telling the kids/parents that you draft at Bantam to your U18 league that U 18 is the path to your league because it is not. Less than 49% of the players in the CCHL are HEO kids. Your league has about 30 HEO kids per birth year so 30 times 4 is 120. You draft what about 127 bantams per year so the odds on making a CCHL team from the bantam draft are very slim.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: