Ottawa U18 Part 4

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The new trendy thing now will be to own and operate every level of hockey in specific geographic areas. Pembroke is starting it all by owning multiple levels of hockey all under the HEO umbrella. Soon this will trickle down all the way from novice. They will own your ass from 6 to 21 and make a lot of coin in the process.

While it might be new to hockey its not new to youth sports.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
The new trendy thing now will be to own and operate every level of hockey in specific geographic areas. Pembroke is starting it all by owning multiple levels of hockey all under the HEO umbrella. Soon this will trickle down all the way from novice. They will own your ass from 6 to 21 and make a lot of coin in the process.

Brockville had all three levels last season already and now heard they have purchased a Jr.A team in Quebec so will have Braves, Jr.A team in Quebec, Tikis and u18AAA. It was in Brockville Recorder but I don't have link handy.

Also, heard a few good CCHL players are leaning towards USHL instead of returning to CCHL because better level of hockey, no costs while keeping eligible for NCAA. The ones I heard going are all committed. This will hurt league if true.

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
Brockville had all three levels last season already and now heard they have purchased a Jr.A team in Quebec so will have Braves, Jr.A team in Quebec, Tikis and u18AAA. It was in Brockville Recorder but I don't have link handy.

Also, heard a few good CCHL players are leaning towards USHL instead of returning to CCHL because better level of hockey, no costs while keeping eligible for NCAA. The ones I heard going are all committed. This will hurt league if true.

That guy gets to sell the dream to even more kids. Owners in Brockville scam so many kids its sickening. Charges $400 for a camp for 3 games and have 25 players on a team.

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013

Oh boy...here's the link

http://www.recorder.ca/2017/05/03/you-say-you-want-a-revolution

...so much wrong with this. Geez, you better hope everyone gets a DI scholarship because with all the money paid out to try out and play AAA/Junior it's probably comparable to just paying for 4 years at a Canadian university.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
I have never understood why the goal was to get kids drafted...the goal should be to get them in the leagues to play, whether that is OHL or CCHL.....the draft is just an ego stroke for the most part....sure kids should be proud to be drafted but at the end of the day it is actually playing that matters.

i agree.its alittle like a pretty girl approaches you and asks you out,rather than you making the first move.by her asking you,you believe she likes you,she picked you.its a nice feeling but that passes and now your abilities are what will get/not get you future dates with the pretty girl.
getting drafted is flattering but that passes and what you do on the ice is what matters.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Oh boy...here's the link

...so much wrong with this. Geez, you better hope everyone gets a DI scholarship because with all the money paid out to try out and play AAA/Junior it's probably comparable to just paying for 4 years at a Canadian university.

i think you learn way more playing aaa/junior hockey than university, talk about a artificially pumped up industry(post secondary).
ya in many cases you need that piece a paper to get that good job but its because society has bought that theory.
the vast majority of what you learn at post secondary is stretched out and inflated over multiple yrs in order to charge what they do.
heard of a proffesor telling a kid, college prepares you to work the day after graduating, university(bachelor) prepares you for graduate school.
CHAAAACHING, and most of society has licked this concept right up.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Two CCHL teams have been sold in the past year. Rumor is both for over $500.000.00.
If that is true that is a huge jump in the price of a francize. Is it because the CCHL now runs CCHL2 and those teams are being bought up by CCHL teams. Prescott moves to Cobden and run by Pembroke. Clarence Creek bought by CP and moving.Plus please remember they own/run the U 18 league.Some teams in CCHL have started academy's this is two fold it is revenue generating and circumvents the underage transfer rule of Hockey Canada. Player moved to go to school not play hockey.

CCHL,CCHL, and U18 have an equipment deal with CCM. Is the CCHL getting a kick back from CCM. I would think so. CCHL now controls about 40 teams not 12 that kick back if happing could be huge. Big enough to get most of the equipment used at the CCHL for free a huge saving that comes off the bottom line of each team making CCHL teams expenses go down. Making CCHL teams worth more money.

If HEO takes AAA away from HEO, Junior hockey will own/control the top level competitive hockey. They have the votes at the HEO BOD.
Please put a stop to this madness.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
90 players at the recent Brockville camp? Holy crap! Talk about selling the dream.

If parents stop buying the dream. The selling will stop.

The 2002 parents have an option and they can play Minor Midget AA. The scouts will show up.

Last edited:

CC87

Nov 16, 2011
Oh boy...here's the link

When you read that article, he is presenting himself as an expert on QMJHL / OHL, NCAA and education in general.

Facts are:

-Played 8 games in the QMJHL
-Left school after 3 years, without graduating, to play low level pro.

Buyer beware.

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
When you read that article, he is presenting himself as an expert on QMJHL / OHL, NCAA and education in general.

Facts are:

-Played 8 games in the QMJHL
-Left school after 3 years, without graduating, to play low level pro.

Buyer beware.

Also on his 4th JR A Coach, 3 different CCHL2 coaches so theirs no stability.

HEO needs to step in and regulate some of this.Too many families being taken advantage of.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Two CCHL teams have been sold in the past year. Rumor is both for over $500.000.00.
If that is true that is a huge jump in the price of a francize. Is it because the CCHL now runs CCHL2 and those teams are being bought up by CCHL teams. Prescott moves to Cobden and run by Pembroke. Clarence Creek bought by CP and moving.Plus please remember they own/run the U 18 league.Some teams in CCHL have started academy's this is two fold it is revenue generating and circumvents the underage transfer rule of Hockey Canada. Player moved to go to school not play hockey.

CCHL,CCHL, and U18 have an equipment deal with CCM. Is the CCHL getting a kick back from CCM. I would think so. CCHL now controls about 40 teams not 12 that kick back if happing could be huge. Big enough to get most of the equipment used at the CCHL for free a huge saving that comes off the bottom line of each team making CCHL teams expenses go down. Making CCHL teams worth more money.

If HEO takes AAA away from HEO, Junior hockey will own/control the top level competitive hockey. They have the votes at the HEO BOD.
Please put a stop to this madness.

Yup... it has gotten out of control. I'm still digesting fact that these kids have to pay to play ..lol. I'm a dinosaur I guess. I played in the Central for a year in early 80s and they were paying US!! (Or at least some of us) I stopped following the league for decades and only started again when my kid was born few years ago and when I was told that the players now pay to play I literally laughed. OHL has to wonder what the hell they are doing wrong! Here they are in a legal battle over player wages and I bet if they said to each kid you will now pay us 6.. 7 grand to play not one current player would walk away... lol

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Yup... it has gotten out of control. I'm still digesting fact that these kids have to pay to play ..lol. I'm a dinosaur I guess. I played in the Central for a year in early 80s and they were paying US!! (Or at least some of us) I stopped following the league for decades and only started again when my kid was born few years ago and when I was told that the players now pay to play I literally laughed. OHL has to wonder what the hell they are doing wrong! Here they are in a legal battle over player wages and I bet if they said to each kid you will now pay us 6.. 7 grand to play not one current player would walk away... lol

ivy league schools and a few others aside, where would one think you'll get a better education,(if you buy the whole post secondary sell job that is) american university or canadian university?

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017

back in the 80's,one could get a 4 yr degree for around 15 to 20 grand and when done,have a good chance of getting a good job to start your adult life.
now, a4 yr degree costs 40 to 60 thousand and it is meaning less and less every yr,so one must continue on into a graduate degree for many many more thousands of dollars.unfortunately its the way things are,i think they refer to it as, BUISNESS.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
back in the 80's,one could get a 4 yr degree for around 15 to 20 grand and when done,have a good chance of getting a good job to start your adult life.
now, a4 yr degree costs 40 to 60 thousand and it is meaning less and less every yr,so one must continue on into a graduate degree for many many more thousands of dollars.unfortunately its the way things are,i think they refer to it as, BUISNESS.

What are you talking about?

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
What are you talking about?

this was in reference to back in the 80's you didnt pay to play junior hockey.
hockey is like any other buisness, it has gotten inflated over the yrs and the example of post secondary was a little jab at an industry which hasnt been critically considered enough.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
what exactly is your dislike for current system of midget hockey in ottawa ?

My dislike for this league is well documented over the last two years of its existence. . You are a recent participant and I would suggest you go back and read previous post.

baylormaines

Jul 25, 2015
No worries now, mate. As I heard someone at yesterday, the coup d'etat is underway.

HEO has launched a series of moves to take over AAA and eliminate HEO Minor and its continual demands for accountability and real financial reporting. The nerve!

All I can say is watch where the money goes and who collects it.

And if you think this has anything to do with the brutal mistreatment of the HEO Minor President, you're right. That was just the first move.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
No worries now, mate. As I heard someone at yesterday, the coup d'etat is underway.

HEO has launched a series of moves to take over AAA and eliminate HEO Minor and its continual demands for accountability and real financial reporting. The nerve!

And if you think this has anything to do with the brutal mistreatment of the HEO Minor President, you're right. That was just the first move.

Bold 1 The money will go were it is going now from U 18 to the CCHL teams and owners. HEO Minor jumped in bed with the CCHL and never thought it through. Now the CCHL (HEO) is going to take AAA away from HEO Minor. AA and A are next.

Bold 2 Please tell me you are kidding. Mistreatment of the HEO Minor president. OMG, if the rumors are half true that is too much.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

Looks like your source was correct.
Word in the rink is HEO Minor has been told to leave the HEO Offices by July 1.
Is this the beginning of the end to HEO Minor?
They should have been more careful of who they made alignances with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad