Ottawa U18 Part 4

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Just looked at NCAA D1 Commitments. As of today 1070 commitments. CCHL has 32 of those 32 That is about 3%. Could be lowest % of all Jr A leagues in Canada except the Northern Ontario league. 17 of the 32 are HEO area players.
Slim odds on getting a D1 commitment.
Slim odds on getting to CCHL from U18. 30 players per birth year make the CCHL. Why?
CCHL has less than 50% of its players from the HEO area. (pay to play)

your arguements are simplistic and reek of contempt.
put your tools towards something more worthwhile.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
I have no issue with that, but remove the boundaries and let people choose the best program for them, like the GTHL, Swim Clubs, Karate, etc...

here's an idea, hire great people who know hockey.not just the top 12yr old (things change) and if you really understand hockey watch the play away from the puck, it tells you a ton about hockey iq.
the thing about the better kids when their young is, they have the puck lots and its mostly their ability that seperates them from alot of other kids, but when the other kids catch up and compete and intensity factor in, they dont have the puck as much and guess what?there lost .now even some of those kids can factor in but its difficult because well they have been told how good they are from a young age,and its almost like they have to learn a new game.

P.S.- IM AVAILABLE TO BE ONE OF THOSE GREAT COACHES I REFERENCED EARLIER.

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Just a few comments on some recent posts:
1) We make nothing off CCM deal of CCHL2, no kick back, they are separate from us
2) Midget does not have a CCM deal so no Kickback there, it is optional for players, our team chages approx 10 percent over cost, basically a handling fee, by no means do we get rich.
3)Div 1 College commitments list is missing 3 of ours, Tugnutt, Guy and Gaudet so I am not sure how accurate it is...
4) We are also proud of our Div 3, CIS and Major Jr guys, overall I think we ended up with 11 guys committed. Even the discounted tuition CIS guys get is a great deal, plus they get to keep playing game wile going to school. A lot of players move on to higher levels across the league,, you also have to remember we only have 12 teams.
5) FYI, for some reason a lot of posters on his site seems to know a lot more about what the CCHL is doing than I do, maybe I fell asleep at our meetings, if you hate something we do fine, but please stop making up stuff, remember what happens when you assume!!

If you have any questions feel free to call me.

Terry Nichols
Kemptville 73's GM
613-282-8310

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
1) We make nothing off CCM deal of CCHL2, no kick back, they are separate from us
2) Midget does not have a CCM deal so no Kickback there, it is optional for players, our team chages approx 10 percent over cost, basically a handling fee, by no means do we get rich.
3)Div 1 College commitments list is missing 3 of ours, Tugnutt, Guy and Gaudet so I am not sure how accurate it is...
4) We are also proud of our Div 3, CIS and Major Jr guys, overall I think we ended up with 11 guys committed. Even the discounted tuition CIS guys get is a great deal, plus they get to keep playing game wile going to school. A lot of players move on to higher levels across the league,, you also have to remember we only have 12 teams.
5) FYI, for some reason a lot of posters on his site seems to know a lot more about what the CCHL is doing than I do, maybe I fell asleep at our meetings, if you hate something we do fine, but please stop making up stuff, remember what happens when you assume!!

Terry Nichols
Kemptville 73's GM
613-282-8310

dont have to prove that to me, we had the advantage of not only seeing it, but being a part of it.
hey, every year is different and once again everyone needs to prove their abilities, players and management.there are no free rides, but once again, we were fortunate where we ended up, know not all teams are equal.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

Terry Nichols
Kemptville 73's GM
613-282-8310

1)IMO your CCM deal at CCHL and CCHL2 would be reduced price for your equipment based on the volume of equipment purchased by the 3 leagues.
IMO Using U18 payments for equipment helps reduce cost of equipment at the CCHL level. So therefore that reduced cost is only a benefit to the CCHL owners.

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Just looked at NCAA D1 Commitments. As of today 1070 commitments. CCHL has 32 of those 32 That is about 3%. Could be lowest % of all Jr A leagues in Canada except the Northern Ontario league. 17 of the 32 are HEO area players.
Slim odds on getting a D1 commitment.
Slim odds on getting to CCHL from U18. 30 players per birth year make the CCHL. Why?
CCHL has less than 50% of its players from the HEO area. (pay to play)

your arguements are simplistic and reek of contempt.
put your tools towards something more worthwhile.

My post above is what is on the NCAA D1 Commitment website. As Terry posted it might not be right up to dated but like I said "as of today".
Just pointing stuff out. Sorry you do not like what I post.

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
My post above is what is on the NCAA D1 Commitment website. As Terry posted it might not be right up to dated but like I said "as of today".
Just pointing stuff out. Sorry you do not like what I post.

The College Commits site isn't the best source for this as it just shows the commitments and the current teams they are playing for.

The CCHL has a section on their website that shows all commitments from their league as well as current players who are playing there who committed from past leagues.

http://www.centraljuniorhockeyleague.ca/view/centraljuniorhockeyleague/ncaa-commitments

So that being said the current number of CCHL players committed is not far off your original number of 32. It is 33. 20 from the HEO branch.

Compare that to the other Jr A leagues in Canada, but please note these are only their current teams, some of these numbers may not be completely accurate since players may have committed from different league originally. It is clear that the BCHL is superior, but the CCHL is on par or above the rest when it comes down to moving players on the the NCAA Division 1 level.

AJHL (16 teams) - 32 commitments
BCHL (17 teams) -102 commitments
CCHL (12 teams) - 33 commitments (from CCHL website)
MHL (12 teams) - 0 commitments
MJHL (11 teams) - 3 commitments
NOJHL (12 teams) - 1 commitment
OJHL (22 teams) - 38 commitments
QJHL (12 teams) - 1 commitment
SJHL (12 teams) - 6 commitments
SIJHL (6 teams) - 0 commitments

freeagent

Jul 21, 2015

AJHL (16 teams) - 32 commitments
BCHL (17 teams) -102 commitments
CCHL (12 teams) - 33 commitments (from CCHL website)
MHL (12 teams) - 0 commitments
MJHL (11 teams) - 3 commitments
NOJHL (12 teams) - 1 commitment
OJHL (22 teams) - 38 commitments
QJHL (12 teams) - 1 commitment
SJHL (12 teams) - 6 commitments
SIJHL (6 teams) - 0 commitments

My observation is that the BCHL takes many players on a gap year, transitioning between US Prep school and college, who were already committed to NCAA programs. I assume that these players are captured in the commitment numbers. Not a model that helps local kids. Of course I haven't done the math, so maybe BCHL has some other secret sauce for scholarships others are missing out on.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
My observation is that the BCHL takes many players on a gap year, transitioning between US Prep school and college, who were already committed to NCAA programs. I assume that these players are captured in the commitment numbers. Not a model that helps local kids. Of course I haven't done the math, so maybe BCHL has some other secret sauce for scholarships others are missing out on.

D1 Commitments
You can sort by Date commitment given, Current team (the one I use), Collage that gave commitment, players name, or the starting date of commitment.
To find out where the player was playing when he received his commitment you can click on that players name and it will show his playing history. You should be able figure out where he was playing when he received his D 1 commitment.
Example
Peyton Francis looks like he got committed from the CCHL2 Ottawa West Golden Knights

Hope this helps.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
D1 Commitments
You can sort by Date commitment given, Current team (the one I use), Collage that gave commitment, players name, or the starting date of commitment.
To find out where the player was playing when he received his commitment you can click on that players name and it will show his playing history. You should be able figure out where he was playing when he received his D 1 commitment.
Example
Peyton Francis looks like he got committed from the CCHL2 Ottawa West Golden Knights

Hope this helps.

i think you referenced my poor grammar/spelling earlier:shakehead
as long as you get what i mean, stay focused and not to caught up in the window dressing of things:sarcasm:

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
D1 Commitments
Example

Hope this helps.

I think he was probably viewed by Alabama-Huntsville during a call-up with CP where he played 9 games. I doubt UAH went to a single CCHL2 game and I also doubt it was OWGK who was in contact with this school. He did play OWGK full-time so I can see how it would show he committed from there.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Anyone know if the review of this league has been done? Will there be any changes to league this upcoming season?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Anyone know if the review of this league has been done? Will there be any changes to league this upcoming season?

Review of what? Budget? Schedule?
To the posters that supported this league. Congratulations you got what you wanted.
I hope you get what you deserve with out hurting your player.
You know longer will have anyone to voice your concerns with. Your player is controlled by the CCHL. You won be happy. The league is hear to stay, not going away.I do not expect changes.
The kids/players will now be treated as junior players at age 15. Parents will pay there money and be given little to know information. Same as Junior hockey.

I lost my fight. Not my last post but they will be few and far between unless information posted is incorrect and IMO I have the correct info.

InigoAtOttawa

Nov 17, 2008
Ottawa
To the posters that supported this league. Congratulations you got what you wanted.
You know longer will have anyone to voice your concerns with. Your player is controlled by the CCHL. You won be happy. The league is hear to stay, not going away.I do not expect changes.
The kids/players will now be treated as junior players at age 15. Parents will pay there money and be given little to know information. Same as Junior hockey.

I lost my fight. Not my last post but they will be few and far between unless information posted is incorrect and IMO I have the correct info.

"information posted" where?

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013

I hope we don't lose you 'nothappy'
As someone who grew up in Eastern Ontario and has moved away (for reasons unrelated to hockey) your posts, insights, and insider info were always a joy to read, and I consider them my favourite 'pipeline' to receive info.
Please don't equivalent no recent posts as an admission that we've all gone to dark side.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I hope we don't lose you 'nothappy'
As someone who grew up in Eastern Ontario and has moved away (for reasons unrelated to hockey) your posts, insights, and insider info were always a joy to read, and I consider them my favourite 'pipeline' to receive info.
Please don't equivalent no recent posts as an admission that we've all gone to dark side.

Thank you but being knowledgeable, and some what informed did not help the players in the HEO area.

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Hockey Canada

Rumor,

Looks like HEO Minor won its appeal at Hockey Canada. HEO Minor back in charge of minor hockey.(Including Midget).

Does this spell the end of U18 after this year? One can only hope.

I would assume HEO can also appeal this decision. More to come.

I love/hate minor hockey. Never about the kids/players always about who is in control.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Rumor,

Looks like HEO Minor won its appeal at Hockey Canada. HEO Minor back in charge of minor hockey.(Including Midget).

I love/hate minor hockey. Never about the kids/players always about who is in control.

Didn't HEO Minor Council approve the initial U18 pilot. It was architect-ed by two prominent members of Minor Council, and voted in.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Rumor,

The lack of effort by HEO Minor when AAA was run is one of the reasons this new u18AAA league was formed.

Nothing will change until there a a group of people in charge that are there for the players first and good luck with that.

If the rumour is true, then chances of more HEO kids in CCHL will drop again.

I want the CCHL involved with minor hockey but merge it with a committee that represents the players then it can become a great league. Will this allow u18AAA to restructure the league allowing two minor Midget teams to be in the league(top kids from two divisions) then go to big tournaments?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
1 The lack of effort by HEO Minor when AAA was run is one of the reasons this new u18AAA league was formed.
2 Nothing will change until there a a group of people in charge that are there for the players first and good luck with that.
3 If the rumour is true, then chances of more HEO kids in CCHL will drop again.
4 I want the CCHL involved with minor hockey but merge it with a committee that represents the players then it can become a great league.
5 Will this allow u18AAA to restructure the league allowing two minor Midget teams to be in the league(top kids from two divisions) then go to big tournaments?

1 Not True U 18 was formed to control players from ages 14 at the CCHL bantam draft till the end of junior hockey at 20 and make money for CCHL owners.
2 You could be right here.
3 How do you figure that?
4 Why the CCHL has had 2 years at running U18 and have not made any changes to the league to improve and less HEO kids are in CCHL than ever before.
5 Time will tell.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
1 Not True U 18 was formed to control players from ages 14 at the CCHL bantam draft till the end of junior hockey at 20 and make money for CCHL owners.
2 You could be right here.
3 How do you figure that?
4 Why the CCHL has had 2 years at running U18 and have not made any changes to the league to improve and less HEO kids are in CCHL than ever before.
5 Time will tell.

One positive to u18AAA league was it allowed players that should have been playing AAA and never made it because the parents clics in each organization. It was very obvious which players should not have been playing as well. The elite players were still elite but this league is good at exposing strengths and weaknesses in each player. I can't see going back to AAA executives filled with parents.

The success of u18AAA league to me will depend on where the players with 2 years of playing end up. Any OHL, How many CCHL and CCHL2. In future, how many get scholarships to D1 schools will also be interesting.

Changes need to be made and that was on parents and players feedback the first year. Second year nothing was asked so shows they don't care about player and family. First thing is to remove the 9:30 and 9:45 games on Monday nights and allow teams to have a few more local games. Gate fees removed because not like there is no seating room and I think $6K per player should cover the expenses to run league. The 4 man referee system was better but younger refs still need to learn. Playoff format like CCHL so regular standings actually mean something but shorter series. AGM should be open to public as well.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
The lack of effort by HEO Minor when AAA was run is one of the reasons this new u18AAA league was formed.

Nothing will change until there a a group of people in charge that are there for the players first and good luck with that.

If the rumour is true, then chances of more HEO kids in CCHL will drop again.

I want the CCHL involved with minor hockey but merge it with a committee that represents the players then it can become a great league. Will this allow u18AAA to restructure the league allowing two minor Midget teams to be in the league(top kids from two divisions) then go to big tournaments?

I thought the AAA league was well run over the past 6 or 8 years. They did a good job at keeping some Minor Execs out of their business who had far too large a personal agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad