Ottawa U18 Part 4

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Are we going to a club system here in eastern Ontario? It sure looks like it. Up in the valley will Pembroke control my kid from novice on up?

If AAA moves to HEO the answer is yes. This is about to happen by September.
Next year or following years HEO will take over AA and A.
Look at the BOD of HEO and figure out who runs/controls the votes.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Like I have said before I do not care what you do at Junior CCHL or CCHL 2.\
Just stop telling the kids/parents that you draft at Bantam to your U18 league that U 18 is the path to your league because it is not. Less than 49% of the players in the CCHL are HEO kids. Your league has about 30 HEO kids per birth year so 30 times 4 is 120. You draft what about 127 bantams per year so the odds on making a CCHL team from the bantam draft are very slim.

its a path ,not a gaurantee,lots of factors play into wether you make team.
sometimes the reason they dont move up is because, there not good enough, like in lots of different things in life.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
I don't know the numbers but if you are saying the CCHL is the only league that does this great...It should have at least 50% local players and numbers should rise as you are grooming them from the age of 15 now.

they should just rise eh?there are 12-15 rounds, every team must use there alloted draft choices, lots of kids who are fringe players.cant say for sure how things will play out because, kids develope at different times, including not really developing much at all.makes sense

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
they should just rise eh?there are 12-15 rounds, every team must use there alloted draft choices, lots of kids who are fringe players.cant say for sure how things will play out because, kids develope at different times, including not really developing much at all.makes sense

The CCHL are in charge of U18 and the development of kids from the age of 15....If they can't develop at least 50% of their team through their own system something needs to be fixed...It only takes 3 to 4 kids from each age group 17,18 and 19 throw in a good 16 year old and that's at least 10 players...

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
The CCHL are in charge of U18 and the development of kids from the age of 15....If they can't develop at least 50% of their team through their own system something needs to be fixed...It only takes 3 to 4 kids from each age group 17,18 and 19 throw in a good 16 year old and that's at least 10 players...

there was a ottawa boy, a 2000 who this past yr played ohl as a true 16 yr old, the yr previous he was in heo.he had a very good yr but by no meams did he dominate, his #s were good but not dominant.my point is the league overall is quite competitive,
he played almost every game this past season on his ohl team and was an effective player,heo has good hockey but that doesnt mean a certain amount of players will for sure play at the next level.what your talking about is affermative action, thats not based on ability, thats quotas.

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
The Problem with the league is that they don't put the player's first the number 1 priority is to make the CCHL teams money.

If they cared about the players
1) Cost would be down
2) No 9:30 games
3)Better playoff format
4) League would enforce that all teams are doing what was promised.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
there was a ottawa boy, a 2000 who this past yr played ohl as a true 16 yr old, the yr previous he was in heo.he had a very good yr but by no meams did he dominate, his #s were good but not dominant.my point is the league overall is quite competitive,
he played almost every game this past season on his ohl team and was an effective player,heo has good hockey but that doesnt mean a certain amount of players will for sure play at the next level.what your talking about is affermative action, thats not based on ability, thats quotas.

I'm not talking about a quota....If they say that U18 is a development league show they can develop players by getting these kids on the roster at 3-4 kids per year and 3-4 kids to CCHL2...so at least 6-8 kids each year should graduate from U18 to the next level to show the league is developing players so 9-12 players per team should be a goal not a quota.

60 minutes

Jan 10, 2012
I'm not talking about a quota....If they say that U18 is a development league show they can develop players by getting these kids on the roster at 3-4 kids per year and 3-4 kids to CCHL2...so at least 6-8 kids each year should graduate from U18 to the next level to show the league is developing players so 9-12 players per team should be a goal not a quota.

Exactly. No one wants quotas.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
The Problem with the league is that they don't put the player's first the number 1 priority is to make the CCHL teams money.

1) Cost would be down
3)Better playoff format

1- costs are comparible to old aaa way of doing things
2-we played i think 4 or 5 of these, not ideal but not a deal breaker
3-this is debatable, was told at start of first yr, meat and potatoes of yr is regular season.i agree playoff format is not perfect but playing same two nights weekly all season long is a BIG PLUS.
4-from my perpective,they have kepted their word for most part.
we could litigate that they do this but that would only benifit the fat cat lawyers.
your not one of those guys are you?

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Looks like my OHL draft prediction was very close. Please see above. Higher than I thought.
7 U18 players drafted in first 6 rounds. 13 players drafted round 7 to 15.
Lowest OHL draft total in years from HEO area
The top end players will always be found. The middle of the pack players are the ones being hurt by this league. The midget draft this year is an example of my statement. 19 players that were past over last year got drafted this year. Yes this has always happened but not to this scale. To many first year players being past over. This trend will continue till the HEO are goes back to Minor Midget AAA.

hogwash

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016

1) Cost would be down
3)Better playoff format

Those are some of the things I have been saying needs attention. A few other suggestions I had was eliminate gate fees, family members should not have to pay to watch a relative play only twice at home.

Probably can't reduce 9:30 games a lot but give teams a few more home games even if it was mid week at a better start time and get local communities get more involved. No one is going to drive over one hour to Ottawa on a Monday night to watch if they don't have someone on team.

The video coverage is very poor quality.

Finally, executive be more accessible. Only email you will ever get from league is when they want your money and how to send it. I don't see why an open AGM is not possible?

Finally, who is doing review of this pilot program? I am going to see my friend this summer that works for Hockey Canada and maybe he can give me some more input on this HEO u18AAA league and what a pilot program really means.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
2017 aaa

Are there any published facts about next years AAA programs. Rumours are Major Peewee is a go and the boundaries are being realigned.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Are there any published facts about next years AAA programs. Rumours are Major Peewee is a go and the boundaries are being realigned.

not sure about this but do know some existing aaa teams will fight it.
boundaries have for yrs been overly favorable to a select 2,causing their highly inflated egos to believe that they are the developers of the best hockey in ottawa when in fact they have had highly favourable boundaries.
its about time someone's doing something about this!!!!:yo:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016

Haven't heard anything but I know boundary realignment was in talks even before this HEO u18AAA league started. Population within each boundary has changed a lot with more people moving to areas like Orleans and Stittsville for example and less in rural areas. People knew it was an issue when 67s would have more goalies trying out then some other teams had skaters show up.

B Rep organizations are merging to put a team on the ice so there is an issue in the rural areas. I heard one area it took 6 organizations to make 2 teams. A lot of players are quitting hockey because high cost and playing soccer or lacrosse instead.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Haven't heard anything but I know boundary realignment was in talks even before this HEO u18AAA league started. Population within each boundary has changed a lot with more people moving to areas like Orleans and Stittsville for example and less in rural areas. People knew it was an issue when 67s would have more goalies trying out then some other teams had skaters show up.

B Rep organizations are merging to put a team on the ice so there is an issue in the rural areas. I heard one area it took 6 organizations to make 2 teams. A lot of players are quitting hockey because high cost and playing soccer or lacrosse instead.

yup, and you can add the titans into having favourable boundaries for yrs.
this only magnified the problem with old aaa and not enough competion, thus the thinking we will go to toronto 4 times a yr.
ottawa is a big enough city with some thoughtfullness you could better divy up zones creating more balanced league.the big 2 wont stand for that though.

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017
Two CCHL teams have been sold in the past year. Rumor is both for over $500.000.00.
If that is true that is a huge jump in the price of a francize. Is it because the CCHL now runs CCHL2 and those teams are being bought up by CCHL teams. Prescott moves to Cobden and run by Pembroke. Clarence Creek bought by CP and moving.Plus please remember they own/run the U 18 league.Some teams in CCHL have started academy's this is two fold it is revenue generating and circumvents the underage transfer rule of Hockey Canada. Player moved to go to school not play hockey.

CCHL,CCHL, and U18 have an equipment deal with CCM. Is the CCHL getting a kick back from CCM. I would think so. CCHL now controls about 40 teams not 12 that kick back if happing could be huge. Big enough to get most of the equipment used at the CCHL for free a huge saving that comes off the bottom line of each team making CCHL teams expenses go down. Making CCHL teams worth more money.

If HEO takes AAA away from HEO, Junior hockey will own/control the top level competitive hockey. They have the votes at the HEO BOD.
Please put a stop to this madness.

still havent answered question,are you old aaa or parent of mid range player?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
still havent answered question,are you old aaa or parent of mid range player?

There is nothing in my post below that makes you ask any other questions other than, are you old aaa or parent of mid range player? WOW. No questions/thoughts about what is going on in our hockey area? Were is the money going? Whos making the money? Why am I paying for uniforms of Jr A players?
Why is the hockey at U18 so weak? The U18 rep at Midget regionals scored 2 goals in what 4 games. I felt for those kids.

Originally Posted by nothappy
Two CCHL teams have been sold in the past year. Rumor is both for over $500.000.00.
If that is true that is a huge jump in the price of a francize. Is it because the CCHL now runs CCHL2 and those teams are being bought up by CCHL teams. Prescott moves to Cobden and run by Pembroke. Clarence Creek bought by CP and moving.Plus please remember they own/run the U 18 league.Some teams in CCHL have started academy's this is two fold it is revenue generating and circumvents the underage transfer rule of Hockey Canada. Player moved to go to school not play hockey.

CCHL,CCHL, and U18 have an equipment deal with CCM. Is the CCHL getting a kick back from CCM. I would think so. CCHL now controls about 40 teams not 12 that kick back if happing could be huge. Big enough to get most of the equipment used at the CCHL for free a huge saving that comes off the bottom line of each team making CCHL teams expenses go down. Making CCHL teams worth more money.

If HEO takes AAA away from HEO, Junior hockey will own/control the top level competitive hockey. They have the votes at the HEO BOD.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
yup, and you can add the titans into having favourable boundaries for yrs.
this only magnified the problem with old aaa and not enough competion, thus the thinking we will go to toronto 4 times a yr.
ottawa is a big enough city with some thoughtfullness you could better divy up zones creating more balanced league.the big 2 wont stand for that though.

If the rumours are true, your "big two" will not have a say in this. Once again, all decisions will be made by HEO (Junior) and the minor associations will do as they are told.

hardfacts

Jan 18, 2012
There is nothing in my post below that makes you ask any other questions other than, are you old aaa or parent of mid range player? WOW. No questions/thoughts about what is going on in our hockey area? Were is the money going? Whos making the money? Why am I paying for uniforms of Jr A players?
Why is the hockey at U18 so weak? The U18 rep at Midget regionals scored 2 goals in what 4 games. I felt for those kids.

Markham Waxers, Don Mills Flyers, Toronto Red Wings, Toronto Canadians , Marlies, Vaughn Kings....all owned by business men....money to be made in hockey....

Makes me laugh to think people can make big money being swim coaches( Nepean swim club has full time staff) every corner there is a karate club in the city which guys are making a full time living...equestrian coaches can't make a full time living....but God forbid somebody makes a living coaching hockey....yes and all those sports mentioned above the coaches are making money off the parents backs....and those sports have had full time people for 20 yrs....hockey in Ottawa is 20 yrs behind.....good for the guys doing what they love to do.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Markham Waxers, Don Mills Flyers, Toronto Red Wings, Toronto Canadians , Marlies, Vaughn Kings....all owned by business men....money to be made in hockey....

Makes me laugh to think people can make big money being swim coaches( Nepean swim club has full time staff) every corner there is a karate club in the city which guys are making a full time living...equestrian coaches can't make a full time living....but God forbid somebody makes a living coaching hockey....yes and all those sports mentioned above the coaches are making money off the parents backs....and those sports have had full time people for 20 yrs....hockey in Ottawa is 20 yrs behind.....good for the guys doing what they love to do.

I have no issue with that, but remove the boundaries and let people choose the best program for them, like the GTHL, Swim Clubs, Karate, etc...

hardfacts

Jan 18, 2012
I have no issue with that, but remove the boundaries and let people choose the best program for them, like the GTHL, Swim Clubs, Karate, etc...

Most populated hockey area in Canada and I could only name 5 or 6 good organizations....if that happened in Ottawa there would be 2.....

Nothing wrong with system now.....other than 930pm games.....half the cost as TO to play

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017

your views are so unreasonable that you have to be one of the two.
if your only concern is to be the mother theresa(conscious) of hockey in the ottawa area, take up a more worthy cause, oh say, poverty or violence, homelessness and ****** parenting.their are tons of things which need to be improved beyound hockey.
unless you have a different AGENDA that is!!!!!

STILL IN GAME

Apr 9, 2017

thanksfor the cold hard facts,lol.
its refreshing to hear old fashion common sense, even when it hurts.
hope to see more of same from you.
not the only wolf out there,lol.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Just looked at NCAA D1 Commitments. As of today 1070 commitments. CCHL has 32 of those 32 That is about 3%. Could be lowest % of all Jr A leagues in Canada except the Northern Ontario league. 17 of the 32 are HEO area players.
Slim odds on getting a D1 commitment.
Slim odds on getting to CCHL from U18. 30 players per birth year make the CCHL. Why?
CCHL has less than 50% of its players from the HEO area. (pay to play)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad