Confirmed Trade: [OTT/VAN] Alex Burrows for Jonathan Dahlen; Burrows re-signs 2 years/2.5M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
2 years left after this one. Moves like this help show him they are willing to invest to be a perennial playoff team

Yea, nothing says serious competitors like getting the highly coveted after Alex Burrows

No doubt about it, EK will likely take a huge paycut and extend for 1-yrs to continue playing with such incredible talent

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Yea, nothing says serious competitors like getting the highly coveted after Alex Burrows

No doubt about it, EK will likely take a huge paycut and extend for 1-yrs to continue playing with such incredible talent

EK seemed genuinely happy when talking about the acquisition. And even Dorion said when he told players they were elated.

Players dont care about prospects like Dahlen, they care about winning now, and like it or not Burrows helps us do that. This shows EK we are willing to give up future to help the team now.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'm just surprised the senators gave him an extension so fast. Both term and dollars.

Didn't think he would get a two year deal, let alone one worth $2.5 per. Thought he had dropped down to the $1 mill range now.

Max at $1.5 per.

The Canuck

Feb 22, 2017
EK seemed genuinely happy when talking about the acquisition. And even Dorion said when he told players they were elated.

Players dont care about prospects like Dahlen, they care about winning now, and like it or not Burrows helps us do that. This shows EK we are willing to give up future to help the team now.

Would you classify this as a good trade though if the Sens get ousted or even swept in the first round?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Slightly better stats than Filip Forsberg. Both played 2 years in that league. So, yeah he's a blue chip prospect. This could come back to bite them in the ass.

It's amazing to think that despite having a better draft year than Forsberg, Dahlen was taken in the second round. If Ottawa fans went around saying Dahlen their top 5 or 6 prospect was a bluechip prospect, I can't imagine the reaction. Dahlen is a good prospect but come on.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's amazing to think that despite having a better draft year than Forsberg, Dahlen was taken in the second round. If Ottawa fans went around saying Dahlen their top 5 or 6 prospect was a bluechip prospect, I can't imagine the reaction. Dahlen is a good prospect but come on.

Some fans had him surpassing Brown as their 3rd best prospect. Is Logan Brown a good prospect in your mind?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

Dahlen was a year older at the draft. Forsberg was drafted after his 17 year old season, whereas Dahlen was drafted after his 18 year old season. Not really fair to compare their draft year and draft year +1 stats.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Such a terrible trade :-( HE'S THIRTY FREAKIN SIX.... if he retires at any time we still carry the hit too...

Seriously.. Dorion is a ****in nutjob

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Would you classify this as a good trade though if the Sens get ousted or even swept in the first round?

I would classify it as a non-consequential trade, tbh. He's going to be a 3-4th liner. If that is the determining factor of us getting outsted, this team has WAAAY larger problems than a trade where we gave up a good prospect.

Dahlen has no effect on our playoffs this year.

Burrows will might have a minor positive effect or none at all.

Grand scheme of things, I would consider this a lost trade unless Burrows scores the Game 7 1st round OT winner because unless Dahlen busts (with management predicting so), a roster contributor down the line is more valuable than 2-3 pts in a playoff series that we lose.

Some fans had him surpassing Brown as their 3rd best prospect. Is Logan Brown a good prospect in your mind?

I call BS on this.

Undisputed top 3:
Chabot
White
Brown

Rounding out the next two was up to personal taste of:
Dahlen
Englund
Jarros
Perron
Gagne

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Such a terrible trade :-( HE'S THIRTY FREAKIN SIX.... if he retires at any time we still carry the hit too...

Seriously.. Dorion is a ****in nutjob

Players over 35 just go on the IR instead of retiring.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I think Logan Brown has a much higher ceiling than Dahlen. In my mind Dahlen has yet to pass Chlapik, let alone Brown. I get the excitement about a player doing really well after the draft, it's encouraging but despite how good these players perform in their respective leagues it's still about projecting to the NHL level. I have a hard time buying that Dahlen should be considered a blue chip prospect but it depends on how loosely you want to use that term.

By no means am I saying this isn't a bad trade for Ottawa but there's the usual sensationalism when evaluating this trade.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
You do realize that Dahlen had like 7 goals in 5 games at the WJC's right? He's up there with Matthews and Laine as far as I'm concerned.

Congratulations, you win the prize for the dumbest comment on this thread.

Matthews and Laine dominated the WJ as 17 year olds.

Dahlen was 19 and he wasn't even the best player on his own team.

Also, your stats are wrong. Dahlen had 5 goals (and 0 assists) and wasn't even in the top 10 in scoring at that tourney.

** Edit.. sorry my sarcasm meter is malfunctioning today.

Last edited:

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Congratulations, you win the prize for the dumbest comment on this thread.

Matthews and Laine dominated the WJ as 17 year olds.

Dahlen was 19 and he wasn't even the best player on his own team.

Also, your stats are wrong. Dahlen had 5 goals (and 0 assists) and wasn't even in the top 10 in scoring at that tourney.

** Edit.. sorry my sarcasm meter is malfunctioning today.

Excuse the mess. Some are less informed than others.

Anyone claiming that about Dahlen is here to troll or here to troll.

I think the most important thing to remember is that Canuck fans didn't really expect much of a return for Burrows if he was traded. Most of us were hoping for a 3rd round pick at most.

I think that's why some seem to be overrating Dahlen, or sound like they do. None of us expected to get anything like Dahlen in return and are over the moon because of it. I'm sure many are overrating him like the fine poster your quoted managed to do with that ballsy comparison, but it's just such a surprise.

Burr was a buyout candidate not long ago, and now we got another addition to our top 5 prospects in Jonathan Dahlen. I can't blame people for getting excited, I'm excited. Not because I think Dahlen is Filip Forsberg, but because I never dared to think we would get something quite valuable in return for Burr.

Last edited:

dman34

May 6, 2011
I think people are overrating Dahlen a tad around here.

His stock has increased but Ottawa has better prospects in the pipeline. Brown/White/Chlapik alone are better forward prospects and all could command top 6 spots. I don't see a guy like Dahlen being useful in a bottom 6 role.

Yes, OTT maybe has better prospects in their system currently but it doesn't mean they should use them to overpay for a 36 year old Alex Burrows. That's just poor asset management.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Gordie "Mr Elbows" Howe was a massive cheapshot artist that liked to threaten people.

Remind me again how many times "Mr. Hockey" was suspended for his "cheapshots". Howe fought his own battles while being the best player in hockey, a concept very foreign to the Canucks team of the past 20 odd years. Hopefully Bo Horvat et al is different. Hey, "true Canuck fans" can mourn the departure of one of the biggest bags of garbage ever to lace up skates in the NHL all they want but there's a lot of people like me who just found out we can REALLY root for our team again without cringing.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I love his work ethic and his ability to score timely goals but these are hardly unique qualities. As an older poster here who watched (and revered) players such as Jean Beliveau, Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe stuff like his "trash talking", his lying and embellishing are the absolute antithesis of the kind of hockey I love and grew up loving. Guys like Burrows, Cooke, Avery and, yes, Lapierre make me sick every time I watch them play and when one (or worse, two) of these parasites are playing for YOUR team you start to question why you are watching. As a Canuck fan I went into the 2011 final rooting for my team but watching game 6 (particularly Burrows' dive fest but more the knowledge that our 5 worst divers also included 4 of our 5 best players) made me think that the Bruins earned their Cup fair and square. You can bet I will be monitoring his future progress carefully. First Lapierre (a punk) then Kesler (selfish diva) and now Burrows (satan personified IMHO), talk about "draining the swamp". I'm a happy guy and we haven't even finished the season yet. My team just got a lot classier...

LOL Dive fest watch the highlights bud, it went both ways with both teams in that series. Burrows is Satan, oh yah that's why he did so much in the community right? That's why our young players have done so well under his leadership right? He scored some of the most important goals in the teams history, was a huge part of raising awareness for mental health in Canada, but yah totally Satan.

Please find another team to cheer for, we have enough fans like you as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad