Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Tim Stützle signs extension with the Senators (8 years, $8.35M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Seems high now because of the current cap situation. In a couple of years as the cap starts rising. This has the potential to be an incredible deal for the Sens.

Reactions: SensFactor

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
True, though I don't think that really holds water in Ottawa's case. The problem wasn't the top line or Chabot's pairing, it was a complete and utter lack of depth anywhere else in the lineup.
and like i said in the original post if you keep handing out 8 milion dollar contracts youre going to have complete utter lack of depth eslwhere in the lineup.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Nah, I saw plenty of his play and progress last year. What you’re saying may well happen, but this isn’t a great deal until Stutzle proves he’s an upper echelon forward. He’s definitely well on the way, but there’s still risk here for the team.

The thing is, there's risk with 98% of signings. There are a tiny minority of players that are close to risk-free (McDavid, Makar, Matthews), but with everyone else, it's next to impossible to remove all risk.

Look at these 3, very different, signings:

Stützle at 8x8.35M.
Miller at 7x8M.
Sergachev at 8x8.5M.

All players at different stages of their careers, with different levels of having "proven it"... yet all have risks associated with them.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
and like i said in the original post if you keep handing out 8 milion dollar contracts youre going to have complete utter lack of depth eslwhere in the lineup.
Cap will go up big time too though. It all coincides perfectly to when the prediction of a cap increase is.

It's a bananas deal. Stutzle left a good amount of $$ on the table IMO.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Of course, but you can only predict future performance based on past performance.

Sure, but past NHL level production is not the only input. Past performance includes a lot more things. Stützle was a 3rd overall pick, flourished in junior and at international tournaments, and showed massive progression over the course of the last season (PPG for the final 50 games), where he was just 19. This summer, it's been reported that he's made very big physical strides (he's come to camp bigger and stronger).

He's not an unknown, just like Jack Hughes was not an unknown. NJ didn't need to wait to have Hughes put up a point per game season before being confident that he'd turn into a point per game player.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The thing is, there's risk with 98% of signings. There are a tiny minority of players that are close to risk-free (McDavid, Makar, Matthews), but with everyone else, it's next to impossible to remove all risk.

Stützle at 8x8.35M.
Miller at 7x8M.
Sergachev at 8x8.5M.

All players at different stages of their careers, with different levels of having "proven it"... yet all have risks associated with them.

Oh no argument here. I’m also not saying this deal is bad at all, to be perfect clear. Just that the player has to grow into it.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Well, the pressure is officially on in Ottawa.

I like this contract more than the Norris one, tbh. Crazy to think DeBrincat might get 9+ as well.

Reactions: SensFactor

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

That's Draisaitl's card after his last ELC season, and Stützle's card after his 2nd ELC season.

We can compare them after this upcoming year.

I certainly don't expect him to be Draisaitl though. But even if he's 75% of that, this is a good deal. At the time of signing, Draisaitl got 11.3% of the cap. Today, the equivalent contract would be $9.3M AAV. So Stützle got a bit less.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Stützle at 8x8.35M.
Miller at 7x8M.
Sergachev at 8x8.5M.

I think the biggest difference is that Miller and Sergachev didn't have RFA years anymore. With Stutzle, you are paying a premium for RFA years, which we rarely see - Marner is a recent example.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Credit to Dorion for getting his core locked in.

This is the market now, clearly: An upward trending, potential superstar coming off his ELC is looking at an $8M x 8 contract, give or take.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think the biggest difference is that Miller and Sergachev didn't have RFA years anymore. With Stutzle, you are paying a premium for RFA years, which we rarely see - Marner is a recent example.

You're paying a premium for RFA years, but not much of one. Even on a bridge, assuming Stützle put up 70+ points next season (which is what Ottawa projects) he'd get ~$7M per on a 3 year deal.

Ottawa is banking on significant savings in years 3-8 outweighing the relatively minor premium paid in the RFA years.

Will it work out? Time will tell. For a franchise like them, though, it's a gamble you have to take.

Reactions: Altimus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad