Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Tim Stützle signs extension with the Senators (8 years, $8.35M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Oh my gosh...how in the heck did this happen? Robbery for Ottawa and really and truly, thank you Stu, you're a f***ing A team guy. Everyone who followed this knew he could have gotten more.

f*** YES!

:scared:

I’m sure it’ll be fine. Maybe even very good. But calling it highway robbery when the player signed a contract they will yet have to grow into seems a little nonsensical.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Higher than Jack Hughes' AAV by a hair, great deal
Signed almost a year later. Reports are indicating a big cap increase in the next couple of seasons. Teams are trying to get players locked up for 8 years and will be looking back in 2 years thinking this contract is now a steal compared to what some will ask for.

Reactions: Daeavorn

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I’m sure it’ll be fine. Maybe even very good. But calling it highway robbery when the player signed a contract they will yet have to grow into seems a little nonsensical.
Only if you haven't followed his meteoric progression. Just watch. The deal won't even have kicked in before people are saying, great deal!

Reactions: guyzeur and Altimus

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The point is they won't be able to keep all those players if they keep giving out 8 mil+ contracts.
We've given out the big tickets to the huge players, the absolute core and heart of the team. Right now there's Zub to work on and then Debrincat, then eventually Sanderson, but Dorion has positioned this team to be ultra competitive, young, full of desire to win and locked in. It's beyond exciting.

Reactions: Grungy Remnant

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Only if you haven't followed his meteoric progression. Just watch. The deal won't even have kicked in before people are saying, great deal!

Nah, I saw plenty of his play and progress last year. What you’re saying may well happen, but this isn’t a great deal until Stutzle proves he’s an upper echelon forward. He’s definitely well on the way, but there’s still risk here for the team.

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
The point is they won't be able to keep all those players if they keep giving out 8 mil+ contracts.
That tends to happen when you have players that are all worth that much. Presently we've got our 1D, 1/2C and 1LW locked up to those deals for 5+ years, with Batherson providing some relief with his amazing deal. We may have to make some tough calls when it comes to resign DeBrincat, Sanderson, and Pinto; but for now I don't think we've put a foot wrong.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
These new RFA contracts are gross.
this is a consequence of the salary cap and analytics. The analytics say that players in their mid 20s are the most productive players in the league and so paying these players the most money is the most efficient use of limited cap space.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Feels like we are heading to another lockout with the current RFA contract meta

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I was off on the Hughes one thinking they paid a bit too much too soon, but I like this one. Good gamble for Ottawa imo

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
That tends to happen when you have players that are all worth that much. Presently we've got our 1D, 1/2C and 1LW locked up to those deals for 5+ years, with Batherson providing some relief with his amazing deal. We may have to make some tough calls when it comes to resign DeBrincat, Sanderson, and Pinto; but for now I don't think we've put a foot wrong.
not good when you have players that are all worth that much and you didnt even sniff getting clsoe to the playoffs.

Reactions: Ivo and Laus723

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Rookie:
Stutzle: 29pts in 53 games
Draisaitl: 9pts in 37 games

Sophmore:
Stutzle: 58pts in 79 games
Draisaitl: 51pts in 72 games

Year 3:
Stutzle: Time will tell
Draisaitl: 77pts in 82 games

Draisaitl exploded in year 5, which would be year 2 of Stutzle's contract. I'm not saying Stutzle will be quite on that level, but he has outpaced Drai so far. I don't think it's far fetched to think Stutze can be a 90pt player very soon.

This contract will be similar to Drai's in terms of value IMO. Especially since the cap will go up. Drai's was 11.33% of the cap and Tim's is 10.12%.

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
not good when you have players that are all worth that much and you didnt even sniff getting clsoe to the playoffs.
True, though I don't think that really holds water in Ottawa's case. The problem wasn't the top line or Chabot's pairing, it was a complete and utter lack of depth anywhere else in the lineup. The offseason moves have gone a long way to address that - just need to sort out RD.

Reactions: Psycroptic86

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Nah, I saw plenty of his play and progress last year. What you’re saying may well happen, but this isn’t a great deal until Stutzle proves he’s an upper echelon forward. He’s definitely well on the way, but there’s still risk here for the team.
Meh. Not in my eyes

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Love it for the Sens. He wasn't an $8.35 mil AAV last year, more like $5 mil, but he's very skilled, competes very hard, seems very driven, young and rapidly improving - a good kid to bet on IMO. Chances are strong he'll be worth $8.35 mil AAV soon, and more than that soon after. This deal doesn't even kick in until 2023/24, I'll bet it's already a fine price in 2023/24, and a good price shortly after.

Locking him up for his whole prime at this price, a small risk but mostly a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Rookie:
Stutzle: 29pts in 53 games
Draisaitl: 9pts in 37 games

Sophmore:
Stutzle: 58pts in 79 games
Draisaitl: 51pts in 72 games

Year 3:
Stutzle: Time will tell
Draisaitl: 77pts in 82 games

Draisaitl exploded in year 5, which would be year 2 of Stutzle's contract. I'm not saying Stutzle will be quite on that level, but he has outpaced Drai so far. I don't think it's far fetched to think Stutze can be a 90pt player very soon.

This contract will be similar to Drai's in terms of value IMO. Especially since the cap will go up. Drai's was 11.33% of the cap and Tim's is 10.12%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad