Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] D Jake Sanderson signs extension with the Senators (8 years, $8.05M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
Damn close to it. It's just Norris Trophy candidates hes getting compared to thats all. No big deal right?

Sens fans actually claiming they are getting a deal by making Sanderson the 12th highest paid defenseman in the league. If that's a team friendly deal where does that rank him in defenseman? Is he the 5th best defenseman in the league at 20 years old? Is he already the 12th best defenseman and just going to get better? This entire thread Sens fans have been extra with this kid. If he lives up to half of what Sens fans are talking about in this thread he will be a shoe in for the Hall of Fame.

Sanderson IS NOT the 12th highest paid defenseman in the NHL. He is on his last year of his ELC this year.

If you want to play this semantic game, then his contracts are for 9 years and 7.1 million per year.

This is the gap in your position. Wait until next year and see if you were right, but it makes for a boring position, so I understand why it is more fun to take your position this year.

Basically this is a roll of the dice. As a Sens fan I can say that Sanderson is as rock solid a bet as I have seen for years, so I like the bet.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Damn close to it. It's just Norris Trophy candidates hes getting compared to thats all. No big deal right?

Sens fans actually claiming they are getting a deal by making Sanderson the 12th highest paid defenseman in the league. If that's a team friendly deal where does that rank him in defenseman? Is he the 5th best defenseman in the league at 20 years old? Is he already the 12th best defenseman and just going to get better? This entire thread Sens fans have been extra with this kid. If he lives up to half of what Sens fans are talking about in this thread he will be a shoe in for the Hall of Fame.

Sens fans think this will be a good deal for the team in 3-5 years when he's solidly in his prime (ie a true 1D), the team is competing and the cap has gone up (ie he won't be the 12th highest paid D in the league). Hence team friendly.

But yeah pretend the extension kicks in this year and no other defencemen will get a raise above $8M and if he doesn't make the hall this is a bust of a deal.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa
Sens fans think this will be a good deal for the team in 3-5 years when he's solidly in his prime (ie a true 1D), the team is competing and the cap has gone up (ie he won't be the 12th highest paid D in the league). Hence team friendly.

But yeah pretend the extension kicks in this year and no other defencemen will get a raise above $8M and if he doesn't make the hall this is a bust of a deal.
He's already a true number 1 D, watch him play!

• Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If you're Sens management or even just a Sens fan that has watched Sanderson play and blossom at an insane pace the past 2 seasons specifically, you're pretty much convinced that he will be a #1 all situations D.

That being said, do you give him the chance to break out even more this year and risk having to pay him 9M+? Or do you take a little gamble and pay him 8M right now before that happens?

Choice seems pretty easy imo

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Can Sens fans elaborate on how a true #1 put up as few of points as he did? I could see 50 points projecting into a #1 but as little production as he had? I don't see him enough, so what makes him on the same level as a top 10 dman in the league?

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
IMHO, these very long-term contracts are nutty insofar as the player has to stay good for eight years which seems statistically unlikely. If in Year 2 a player tears an ACL and never quite gets his speed back, then you're stuck with an albatross contract for six more years. Guess with the Cap finally going up, $8M might not be that bad, but the risk doesn't seem to be worth it.

We're going through that with Mark Stone right now, who has four years left at $9.5M but has a chronic back injury that can't seem to heal up and thus his availability is at best sporadic. So basically we have a part-time player eating a whopping $9.5M of cap for four more years. Much beloved emotional captain and the beating heart of the team, but golly.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
IMHO, these very long-term contracts are nutty insofar as the player has to stay good for eight years which seems statistically unlikely. If in Year 2 a player tears an ACL and never quite gets his speed back, then you're stuck with an albatross contract for six more years. Guess with the Cap finally going up, $8M might not be that bad, but the risk doesn't seem to be worth it.

We're going through that with Mark Stone right now, who has four years left at $9.5M but has a chronic back injury that can't seem to heal up and thus his availability is at best sporadic. So basically we have a part-time player eating a whopping $9.5M of cap for four more years. Much beloved emotional captain and the beating heart of the team, but golly.
Stones back issues were known before he went to Vegas though

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

So...you don't like 7/8 year contracts in general? That's fair enough, but they're the predominant contract for good players in this league, so there's no chance of escaping them.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Are you implying that the people here know nothing?
Compared to people that are current and former coaches, players, and scouts? Absolutely! And I'm including myself in this group.

I should soften that to say that we don't know nothing, say compared to someone that's never watched hockey, but compared to real hockey people we know nothing.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
My son, I don’t think you understand how contracts work, or even how people age. Let me start out with facts for you:

Sanderson is 21 y/o not 20. He is making ~925k this upcoming season. In another year he will be 22 y/o and making 8 million for the 2024/25 season. By that time he won’t be the 12th highest paid D, and you will have watched enough hockey to stay out of this thread with your poor opinions.
LMAO, what a response. Sens fans going full emotional.

Here is how contracts work. You find comparable players and give your guy a similar contract. Who is Sanderson’s comparable?

Reactions: dirtydanglez

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Sanderson IS NOT the 12th highest paid defenseman in the NHL. He is on his last year of his ELC this year.

If you want to play this semantic game, then his contracts are for 9 years and 7.1 million per year.

This is the gap in your position. Wait until next year and see if you were right, but it makes for a boring position, so I understand why it is more fun to take your position this year.

Basically this is a roll of the dice. As a Sens fan I can say that Sanderson is as rock solid a bet as I have seen for years, so I like the bet.

I’m 100% behind this statement. Like who you like. Hope for the best.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
LMAO, what a response. Sens fans going full emotional.

Here is how contracts work. You find comparable players and give your guy a similar contract. Who is Sanderson’s comparable?

Who do you think Sanderson is comparable to? How much do you think he should getting?

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Debrincat? Not a core player, which he identified himself through his play last year.

Anyway, super stoked that Sanderson will be with the sens through his 20s. Whether or not this is a bargain or a stretch, the sens bought all of his prime playing years. I think it will be a steal, and it will be obvious by the end of year 1 of the contract to everyone.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
theyre not the sens. they didnt even try to get a long term deal done.

It says something doesn't it.

DeBrincat would have been overpaid (which you would have loved to criticize) to stay given his production on the 2nd line of the team behind Tkachuk.

Even so, Detroit wasn't comfortable committing to him long-term.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
It says something doesn't it.

DeBrincat would have been overpaid (which you would have loved to criticize) to stay given his production on the 2nd line of the team behind Tkachuk.

Even so, Detroit wasn't comfortable committing to him long-term.
well yea, yzerman > dorion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad