Other Domestic Leagues 17/18

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I was checking the Argentine league, what a mess :facepalm:

So, a few years ago, for whatever reason, they went from 18/20(?) teams to 30. Last year they had two divisions of 15 teams each, with both winners playing eachother for the title. Then this past season they went back to 1 league of all 30 teams. Now for the new season it's suddenly 1 league of 28 teams :huh:

I came across this:

So WTF was the point then of going to 30 teams in the first place?

Won't be able to give you a definitive answer. Their federation has been a hot mess since the death of Grondona so the clubs (not the federation) created this Superliga with new format and rules. AFA will only be in charge of the third division and below.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Djurgården vs Hammarby derby in Sweden tomorrow. Djurgården for some inexplicable reason haven't won a derby since 2011. Last chance to win a derby this season and also put a little bit of pressure on Malmö who pretty much have the title locked up. Please win or kill me slowly I can't take this much longer :laugh:

Standings:
https://www.svt.se/svttext/tv/pages/343.html

Nope. 1-1. Fml. Six straight season without a derby win :cry::rant:

dif-hif-1.jpg

Last edited:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I was checking the Argentine league, what a mess :facepalm:

So, a few years ago, for whatever reason, they went from 18/20(?) teams to 30. Last year they had two divisions of 15 teams each, with both winners playing eachother for the title. Then this past season they went back to 1 league of all 30 teams. Now for the new season it's suddenly 1 league of 28 teams :huh:

I came across this:

So WTF was the point then of going to 30 teams in the first place?

Wasn't one of the big clubs at risk of getting relegated? So they expanded the league to protect against that?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ajax is a straight mess right now. My Heerenveen playing some really nice football though. Zeneli has been a real bright spot.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
In Russian Premier League, Lokomotiv cuts Zenit's lead to 2 points after soundly beaten Dynamo 3-0, while Zenit surprisingly lost points against the last-place Anzhi (2-2).

CSKA drew 0-0 against Ufa, Krasnodar and Terek both lost 0-1 against outsiders Arsenal and Tosno. CSKA loses Wernbloom to an injury, in addition to Dzagoev being hurt once again. The competition behind the top 2 teams is ridiculous this year, with CSKA clearly regressing and Spartak losing some luck that was essential in their championship last year.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Rangers with solid win over Accies.

Still Celtic's league to win though. Jesus, is there any other league that is so one team race?

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Lots of derby matches in the leagues outside the top 5 in Europe this weekend and most ended in draws too

RUSSIA: CSKA and Zenit played a scoreless draw, Zenit still on top but Loko only three points back with a game in hand. CSKA are 3rd, four points back of Zenit

UKRAINE: Dynamo held to a scoreless draw at home to Shakhtar and they are struggling (for their standards) in Ukraine...Shakhtar are 7 points above them, hard to see them lose that much in a league where outside the top two there isn't much quality

TURKEY: Wouldn't be an Istanbul derby without a sending off and one did happen in Gala-Fener, not much quality, more like rugby than soccer. Galatasaray still unbeaten and in a comfortable lead at the top early in the season

CROATIA: Hajduk-Dinamo was the most dramatic, three goals scored from the 89th-95th minute to end in a 2:2 draw but the news is against mostly off the field, another flares show, fight in the VIP lounge, referee mistakes etc.. :D

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Well well, after fumbling several chances to come ahead in the championship race, Lokomotiv defeats Krasnodar 2-0, catches Zenit up with 29 points and now leads RFPL on tiebreaker :cool: the Sunday visiting game in St. Petersburg will be enormous. We'll see how Fernandes and Miranchuk twins will fare against Zenit defense that's only conceded 6 goals so far.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Big game in Holland as well today as Ajax trashed Feyenoord 4-1 in Rotterdam.

It was an even match until Ajax got a couple of late goals. Neres played quite well, but De Ligt made two big mistakes (the one leading to penalty and responsible for the goal against).

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Celtic crushed Aberdeen 3-0 today in Aberdeen to move 3 points clear. The rangers were up 1-0 in stoppage time before getting a penalty. Between the penalty being awarded and taken Ryan Jack of the rangers got himself sent off for the 3rd time this season. The rangers pen taker missed the penalty and Kilmarnock countered to equalize in the 95th minute at 1-1. amazing.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Celtic crushed Aberdeen 3-0 today in Aberdeen to move 3 points clear. The rangers were up 1-0 in stoppage time before getting a penalty. Between the penalty being awarded and taken Ryan Jack of the rangers got himself sent off for the 3rd time this season. The rangers pen taker missed the penalty and Kilmarnock countered to equalize in the 95th minute at 1-1. amazing.

I have a feeling that was a death blow for any chance of Dons winning the league.

It’s really sad. Nearly 40 years since a team outside Old Firm won the league. No league is that bad. Not even Spain. Every now and then Atletico and Sevilla win.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
In Czech league news, Sparta fell out of the Cup with a loss to Banik, meaning they've (basically) no chance of a trophy this year (in fifth place 18 points back of first-place Plzen, who are already running away with the title). The two teams now have a rematch in league action in what is basically a must-win if Italian coach Stramacionni wants any chance of holding on to his job. Management has said they will evaluate things at the winter break but you have to figure Sparta need to win out the rest of autumn if he wants to survive.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Zenit lost at home 0-3 to Lokomotiv.

Dinamo Zagreb beat Rijeka 3-1 in Croatia and are now in firm control of the league.

Also worth noting that, in Belarus, BATE's run of 11 straight titles could come to an end. With 3 games left they trail leaders Shakhtyor Soligorsk by 4 points, and second place Dinamo Minsk by 1 point. The top three don't play eachother anymore and they all have winnable fixtures remaining.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Dinamo Zagreb pretty much have the title wrapped up, and its not like they improved much from last season either, its Rijeka who are in free fall. Rijeka doesn't have the squad to compete in two competitions (last season they were eliminated in the EL qualifying rounds so their entire focus is on the league) and there are some rumors that there isn't much unity in the locker room, their Swiss striker Gavranovic wants to leave the club and one player questioned his attitude publically in the media after the loss. Also the coach, Matjaz Kek, offered his resignation after the loss last week which was denied but he is heavily linked to the Slovenian NT job. Hajduk simply isn't good enough despite the annual summer euphoria. Osijek in fact haven't lost this season to the top three (Dinamo, Rijeka, Hajduk) but they dropped a lot of silly points to the bottom feeders like Rudes, Istra and Cibalia...I guess that's expected with the style they play, ultra defensive, hard working, physical etc..

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Lozano looks very good, but Neres has been impressing me more with his raw talent and work rate.

yeah Neres has been a beast ever since Keizer introduced him to the starting XI, 4 goals and 3 assist in 4 games is really impressive for a winger. I've been watching most of his game, but couldn't catch the last one against Willem II as it as at the same time as the SPFC game. Now, if only Keizer would play Kluivert at left wing instead of Younes or Dolberg, that would be great. Frenkie is also a guy I'd love to see getting more minutes, seems ready. Donny-Frenkie-Ziyech-Kluivert-Neres-Huntelaar/Dolberg would be fun to watch.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Zenit lost at home 0-3 to Lokomotiv.
The game itself wasn't as dire for Zenit fans as the score; the slumping forces of evil created a lot of chances and dominated the 1st half, but got caught on counter-attacks in the 2nd. 3 times. The championship is becoming way more interesting than expected. Another big match coming on Sunday (Lokomotiv-CSKA).

A banner commemorating the 120th anniversary of what is considered the 1st official football game in Russia:

crMtPlacJ6I.jpg

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
In Croatia, Istra 1961 who haven't paid their players since the start of the season and could barely afford to away trip to Vinkovci still managed to beat Cibalia 4:1 :skeptic:

A few years back they were taken over by an American investor (Michael Glover) but this seems to be another shady character in football

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad