Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXXIV: March Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Why do you like bad sports? Do you also prefer high school football to college football?

I like the higher level of excitement and the fact that its all about the sport and not the publicity. The NFL is just a bunch of flags and commercials now. I still like it, just thoroughly enjoy college more.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The one and done aspect of the tournament makes it a lot of fun, sure. Nba is still better.

But there's no way that cfb is better than nfl. And nfl playoffs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>college bowls. There's no argument.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Quality of players better? Yes. No argument. Higher parity, less flags, less commercials, and much faster pace of play creating greater entertainment? That can easily be argued.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Quality of players better? Yes. No argument. Higher parity,

NFL has far more parity. In CFB, the same teams battle at the top every year.

less flags, less commercials, and much faster pace of play creating greater entertainment? That can easily be argued.

Those three things are really all the same point, that a college game is faster. But that's not true either.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/18/entertainment/la-et-ct-nflrun-20120918

According to the NFL, so far this season the average run time of a typical game is 3:11:56.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...football-games-pushing-320-on-average-in-2013

College football games pushing 3:20 on average in 2013

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
NFL has far more parity. In CFB, the same teams battle at the top every year.

Those three things are really all the same point, that a college game is faster. But that's not true either.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/18/entertainment/la-et-ct-nflrun-20120918

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...football-games-pushing-320-on-average-in-2013

Pace of play is far different than total time of game. College stops the clock on first downs, has a longer half time break, etc. Dont know why you referenced different tears either, or if the college link is only on a specific conference. Watching te tournament so dont care to read them either. All I know is when I watch the NFL I have far more "bored time" than when I watch CFB.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
upload_2015-3-19_13-52-31-png.2504
'

Well **** me, right?

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Pace of play is far different than total time of game. College stops the clock on first downs, has a longer half time break, etc. Dont know why you referenced different tears either, or if the college link is only on a specific conference.

Yes, stopping the clock on first down and a longer halftime break contribute to cfb games being longer than nfl games. That actually hurts, not helps, whatever point it is you're trying to make. But suit yourself.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I tend to like college football better. I enjoy the fact that there are option offense, spread offenses, pro style, etc. Also fans are more intense, every game is a playoff game and rivalries are way more intense.

In basketball I despise what Kentucky and co have done to the sport but I also hate how prima dona-ish the NBA is.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Yes, stopping the clock on first down and a longer halftime break contribute to cfb games being longer than nfl games. That actually hurts, not helps, whatever point it is you're trying to make. But suit yourself.

How so? I'm arguing that the pace of play is faster. It can't be argued logically otherwise.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I tend to like college football better. I enjoy the fact that there are option offense, spread offenses, pro style, etc. Also fans are more intense, every game is a playoff game and rivalries are way more intense.

In basketball I despise what Kentucky and co have done to the sport but I also hate how prima dona-ish the NBA is.

Maybe you should shift your misplaced anger at Kentucky to the true culprit, the sham that is the NCAA.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL

Agree with this completely.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I like college football because no one can make a 30 yard field goal. Bad special teams is fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad