Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXXIV: March Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm not much of a basketball fan altogether, so for me the college game is more enjoyable. I like my sports low scoring, so I'd rather watch a 65-62 game than a race to 95. I can watch a whole college game and enjoy it, but there's so many possessions in an NBA game I can't get into it until late in the game. The possessions are so quick, 1 or 2 passes and boom make a shot. I'd rather watch teams pass for awhile, but I know I'm not the norm.

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
I really don't like college sports, I'll only participate in NCAA tournament brackets (but not watch any games) and maybe watch the NCAA hockey final. I understand the arguments of pro-college people (intense crowds every game for certain schools, amateurs, etc.), but I really prefer to watch the best in the world instead of the college kids who may have more passion or pure love for the game or whatever. I also don't like any basketball regardless of the level though, so that makes the college/NBA point moot.

Side note, between the two big upsets I've only lost one Sweet 16 team (had Iowa St out in round 2), so I'm doing alright.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I picked GA ST to beat Baylor but had Iowa St in the elite eight so I'm screwed.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I'm not much of a basketball fan altogether, so for me the college game is more enjoyable. I like my sports low scoring, so I'd rather watch a 65-62 game than a race to 95. I can watch a whole college game and enjoy it, but there's so many possessions in an NBA game I can't get into it until late in the game. The possessions are so quick, 1 or 2 passes and boom make a shot. I'd rather watch teams pass for awhile, but I know I'm not the norm.

The scores are so low in college because no one can make a basket.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The scores are so low in college because no one can make a basket.

2880 seconds in an NBA game / 24 second shot clock = a minimum of 120 possession

2400 seconds in a college game / 35 second shot clock = a minimum of 68.57 possessions

Yeah, it's all because the players can't shoot, has nothing to do with the timing rules. :facepalm:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
2880 seconds in an NBA game / 24 second shot clock = a minimum of 120 possession

2400 seconds in a college game / 35 second shot clock = a minimum of 68.57 possessions

Yeah, it's all because the players can't shoot, has nothing to do with the timing rules. :facepalm:

You watch the games, college players can't shoot. Taj Gibson as an average shooting 4 is a better shooter than most college 2 guards. Those pick and pops at the top of the key that just about every power forward in the pros can drain is a college 3 pointer.

Also, the longer shot clock isn't a positive. Again for people who like college more than pro, you must love highschool basketball where there is no shot clock or commercial breaks.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
You watch the games, college players can't shoot. Taj Gibson as an average shooting 4 is a better shooter than most college 2 guards. Those pick and pops at the top of the key that just about every power forward in the pros can drain is a college 3 pointer.

Also, the longer shot clock isn't a positive. Again for people who like college more than pro, you must love highschool basketball where there is no shot clock or commercial breaks.

I agree, the shooting isn't good. But if you don't think the lower scoring has anything to do with the clock rules, I don't know what to tell you, because you're clearly wrong and just being dense for the sake of it.

As for the bold, I think it is, but again, I'm not a typical basketball like yourself. I like that teams are able to take the air out of the ball, that there's ways coaches can shorten the game and give themselves a chance. That strategy existing is more interesting for me than a made shot every 40 seconds.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I like some fallibility in my sports. I like that a FG kicker can miss a gimme to cost a game, that a team can go cold like Baylor and lose a 13 point lead in 2 minutes. It makes it fun and unpredictable.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Wow that goaltending... might have been the right call but there was no way that was going in.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kentucky is everything wrong with college athletics.

If the NBA would let players declare out of high school then there wouldn't be such thing as a "Kentucky." You can't expect elite/good players to play more than 1 year if they're guaranteed to be drafted and have 0 interest in actually getting an education. Not the case for all players but its become more common in recent years. The Harrison twins could've easily gone in the 1st round last year but stayed on and will likely benefit by getting picked higher.

It differs from case to case. Davis dominated the NCAA and was too good for his competition so he obviously left after a season. Noel I think should've stayed another year after tearing his ACL but luckily for him the 76ers wanted to tank so he got picked 3rd.

But ti all comes down to the NBA refusing to let players play right out of high school. If the nBA make sit mandatory that they will have to play 2 seasons of NCAA ball then I won't be shocked if more guys take the Brandon Jennings/Emmanuel Mudiay route and play overseas until they're draft eligible.

That being said I find March Madness way more exciting than the NBA Playoffs. Theres a lot more on the line, i.e draft position and the one-and-done game concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad