Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXXIV: March Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Kentucky/Wisoconsin/Nova/Utah. Agree with Murray that UK,Wisc, and AZ are the only three that feel like title teams. Still making up my mind on Villanova and the Eastern regional.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Yeah, 8th best team on KenPom and a pretty easy road, Duke is 7th and Gonzaga is 6th so they are right there with those teams. Duke, Zags, and Georgetown have all underperformed a lot in recent tournaments.

To be fair, a lot of the failings from Duke have been because the low post game was either non-existent (with Parker) or completely overshadowed (with Rivers).

I wouldn't be shocked if we lost, but I'm at least more confident in this team than those teams.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
To be fair, a lot of the failings from Duke have been because the low post game was either non-existent (with Parker) or completely overshadowed (with Rivers).

I wouldn't be shocked if we lost, but I'm at least more confident in this team than those teams.

Yeah they were obviously fatally flawed when they had Parker playing Center and they have had more recent success that the other 2 teams mentioned (E8 in '13, S16 in '11, Natty in '10) so it's probably a little unfair to lump them in those two. If I had to take another team in that region it would be them and I might have taken them in vacuum but I needed an upset and really like that Utah team.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
As of the spring of 2012, Pomeroy is also an instructor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Utah.

Haha, interesting coincidence I guess. Sagarin has them pretty high too though at #12 (Duke #5, Zags #7, Iowa State #11).

As an aside, why the heck are Portland AND Seattle opening round sites? They're only 173 mi apart and the Pacific Northwest is hardly pumping out a bunch of tournament teams, let alone protected seeds. Now Arizona is traveling 1400+ mi as a 2 seed.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Ah, time for my classic, "think long, think wrong" bracket strategy, where I complete the bracket in under a minute, to utterly fail.

Kansas vs Wisconsin; Oklahoma vs Gonzaga
Oklahoma over Kansas

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just realized that I'll miss the Illinois/Alabama NIT game on Tuesday on account of the fact that I'll be at the Isles/Hawks game instead.

I sat and pondered that for a few moments, before reaffirming that I couldn't care less. Hope we get lots of practice in the loser tournament, but I honestly could not possibly care what we do in that thing.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Zags will get knocked out early, I believe that. Just don't think they're very good. But who knows this time of year, literally anything can happen.

My FF is Kentucky/Wisconsin/Virgina/Iowa State

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
UK is going to kill it this year. We have a much better team than last year and nearly won it.

This team looks better than the 2012 one. I know that's ballsy to say but it's got a lot more experienced players which comes a long way in an extremely short tournament.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
UK is going to kill it this year. We have a much better team than last year and nearly won it.

This team looks better than the 2012 one. I know that's ballsy to say but it's got a lot more experienced players which comes a long way in an extremely short tournament.

We? Toronto location?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Lol.

But yeah, Illinois blows. Getting absolutely blown out twice in a row, and blew a lead against Purdue as well. Embarrassed to say I'm a fan of that team.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Nice final stinker on the season by the Illini. Not only do we not get into a real tournament, but we don't even get meaningful practice and game time out of a consolation tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad