OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVII: Baez Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Cubsden said Dodgers put their entire outfield on waivers, I may see if they'd let Andre Ethier go if the Cubs claimed him. Stick him in left for the next few years.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The homer totals are about what I'd expect, a little high, but this is a 40 home run hitter, not 30, not 35. His power is better than that. The steal totals are a little low though. I see him more in the 18-22 range. I think the numbers are solid overall. The guy is a freak. Not a great or even good contact hitter. Not a selective or patient hitter. But the power is just unheard of.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Cubsden said Dodgers put their entire outfield on waivers, I may see if they'd let Andre Ethier go if the Cubs claimed him. Stick him in left for the next few years.

Absolutely, he'd be an upgrade over the castoffs we've been plugging in there.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
To me that just sounds like they're pulling numbers out of their ass for projections, then.

● Oliver - This system was created by Brian Cartwright and is available over at The Hardball Times. It’s a comparatively simple projection system – using weighted averages of the past three seasons of data, and adjusting for aging and regression – but it calculates its major league equivalencies (MLEs) in a different way than most systems, taking the raw numbers and adjusting them based on park and league. Since most projection systems simply try to adjust for the transition between each minor-league level, Oliver’s projections are better when showing how young players will perform at the major league level. This is also the only projection system to include a fielding and WAR component.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/projections/

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Please no.

For me, it comes down to is this year a blip or is he about to fall off of a cliff. He's been a pretty consistent 2-3 WAR player for most of his career. He's over priced but better than what else they'll put in left for the next 3 years unless they plan to move Bryant to left

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
● Oliver - This system was created by Brian Cartwright and is available over at The Hardball Times. It’s a comparatively simple projection system – using weighted averages of the past three seasons of data, and adjusting for aging and regression – but it calculates its major league equivalencies (MLEs) in a different way than most systems, taking the raw numbers and adjusting them based on park and league. Since most projection systems simply try to adjust for the transition between each minor-league level, Oliver’s projections are better when showing how young players will perform at the major league level. This is also the only projection system to include a fielding and WAR component.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/projections/

Any idea how accurate it's been?

It just seems there is a freaking stat for everything when it comes to baseball. I'm sure you can find the average steps a pitcher takes from the dugout to the mound, and then broken down by inning, day vs night game, if you looked hard enough.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Whenever you have the opportunity to add a 32 year old platoon outfielder making 18M a year for three more years, you have to do it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The only place Lake should be starting is Iowa. The kid just does not have the make up.

I'd rather he just flat out suck the last two months than let Coghlan or Ruggiano live out their dream any more than they already have.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Sorry, but do you know how waivers work?

If someone claims him and the Dodgers say "he's yours", you're on the hook for 100% of the deal.

That's not at all how they work. How can you be so confident with so little to back it up?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
But you do for Lake? I mean I understand what you are trying to get at, I just don't think you are doing a good job doing so.

There's nothing else to say. Lake has a 10% chance of making himself valuable and Coghlan has a zero percent chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad