OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVII: Baez Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Dont you cry no more (and for the whiners...quit whining about the new contracts)

Love Kansas.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Rizzo and Sale are leading the All Star voting apparently. Hope they both make it, they deserve to

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Going to chuckle when Tanaka has to have Tommy John surgery

Why? He's been amazing for them and they'd sign the deal all over again...actually, probably even offer more money even knowing he would have TJS. The fact that we botched that thing is not funny at all.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Why? He's been amazing for them and they'd sign the deal all over again...actually, probably even offer more money even knowing he would have TJS. The fact that we botched that thing is not funny at all.

He started off hot but he hasnt been nearly as good his 2nd time through the league: 29.2 IP, 32 H, 22 K, 3 BB, 4.25 ERA. Now there's a chance he may miss the next season and a half. You can't be serious they'd sign Tanaka all over again knowing he'd need TJ surgery after 3 months.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He started off hot but he hasnt been nearly as good his 2nd time through the league: 29.2 IP, 32 H, 22 K, 3 BB, 4.25 ERA. Now there's a chance he may miss the next season and a half. You can't be serious they'd sign Tanaka all over again knowing he'd need TJ surgery after 3 months.

If they get to know that, they also know he tore MLB a new a-hole first and will continue to after surgery, so yeah, they would.

Slopo

Nov 3, 2011
Rizzo and Sale are leading the All Star voting apparently. Hope they both make it, they deserve to

I think at least one, maybe more, of the pitchers on the AL squad pitch on Sunday, so Sale may get in that way as well.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If they get to know that, they also know he tore MLB a new a-hole first and will continue to after surgery, so yeah, they would.

If he has TJ surgery, he's going to miss the rest of this year and likely most of next year. Thats $44 mil for basically nothing. Plus if he comes back and pitches well, he can opt out after year 4. So basically they'd be paying $88 mil for about 70-75 starts.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If he has TJ surgery, he's going to miss the rest of this year and likely most of next year. Thats $44 mil for basically nothing. Plus if he comes back and pitches well, he can opt out after year 4. So basically they'd be paying $88 mil for about 70-75 starts.

It's baseball, not finance. You get an opportunity to bring in one of the best players in the game at 25, there is no limit to the cost. 100M per is fine by me, not my money. There's no cap in baseball. I hate when people even mention money when it comes to a non cap sport.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So money means nothing? Not allowed to spend your funds better in other places?

Okay then.

The Yankees don't operate like that. If someone is out there that can help, they pay the price and get him. L.A. is the same way, both teams. The Cubs should be like that too.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Sounds about right for the evil empire.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's just so ****ed up when people talk about contracts in baseball. They really mean nothing. If the guy can't start anymore, you just added a good arm to the pen. If he can't field anymore, you just got yourself a good pinch hitter. Next man up, just get the checks out on time and stay out of the way.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So now you've the moved the goal post from "baseball" to "just the Yankees and Dodgers"

:shakehead

He's laughing at the Yankees for having signed one of the best players in the world because he is going to miss a bunch of starts and push his cost per start up. Like I said, I'd pay him a 100M per with the more than obvious disclaimer being there is no budget.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
You so ****ing full of it. Contracts matter in baseball just as much as any other sport. Just because there is no cap doesn't mean that teams don't have budgets, revenue limits, etc that determine their spending.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm not even talking about the Yankees, though. CS wants to throw everything related to money out the window because NO CAP!! That's asinine.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm not even talking about the Yankees, though. CS wants to throw everything related to money out the window because NO CAP!! That's asinine.

As long as there is no internal budget, **** it. The Yankees have no budget and that's why they always get great players. Tanaka got hurt. They'll just get somone else. They don't care. It's not funny that they are "wasting" money because it has no effect on their decision making process when it comes to the baseball side. Nobody is going to tell Cashman not to bring in any more high priced players. He's going to do whatever he wants and they are going to approve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia