OT: OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers and our pointless bowl games we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I just don't see it, but what the hell do I know. Care to explain?

NE has gone agt the grain of conventional football for years... BB doesn't fall into the old school way of thinking and worry about balance.

He's going to look at the Steelers secondary and have Brady throwing all day. He's not the kind of coach that worries about having to run a set amount of times.

Tomlin can't fall into that same trap he always does and worry about balance agt NE.

The Steelers just hung 39 points on a very good D last night, and they didn't do it by trying to be balanced.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
yep Belicheck is all about finding the matchups that pay off, and working them. And working them.
Really it is the opposite of the Bylsma Bleat: "just need to get to our game".
Actually reminds me of Classic Bowman - simply trying to get the right players on the ice at the right time for the most favorable matchups.

It really is what coaching's about at its core.

And why Bylsma/Tomlin and other coaches who try to to play "our game" will always be at a disadvantage.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
NE has gone agt the grain of conventional football for years... BB doesn't fall into the old school way of thinking and worry about balance.

He's going to look at the Steelers secondary and have Brady throwing all day. He's not the kind of coach that worries about having to run a set amount of times.

Tomlin can't fall into that same trap he always does and worry about balance agt NE.

The Steelers just hung 39 points on a very good D last night, and they didn't do it by trying to be balanced.

I never said they have to be balanced. If they have to throw that much though, the defense is letting them down. Which I think we all expect that to happen, whether it be BB exploiting the weak secondary or the horrible outside run coverage the linebackers have.

I just don't see them winning a game like that against the Patriots. They got lucky last night because Flacco is not that good and for some reason teams think single outside coverage is good enough against Brown.

Reactions: Rossi Rat

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I never said they have to be balanced. If they have to throw that much though, the defense is letting them down. Which I think we all expect that to happen, whether it be BB exploiting the weak secondary or the horrible outside run coverage the linebackers have.

I just don't see them winning a game like that against the Patriots. They got lucky last night because Flacco is not that good and for some reason teams think single outside coverage is good enough against Brown.

I'm pretty sure the defense will be letting them down, and even if Tomlin and Butler somehow magically figure out how to slow them down, they need to keep throwing the ball and attacking. It's never over agt them... no lead is safe as Atl found out.

Tomlin has to have the mindset that his offense needs 42-45 points, and that isn't happening running the ball.

Roth has been playing lights out the last few weeks and is the star they need to ride to beat Brady, not Bell.

I don't see how you think attacking them all day through the air is not going to work. The Steelers have the leading passer and receiver in the NFL, and you ride that advantage. I guarantee you BB is going to ride Brady's arm...

Reactions: Kip Drordy

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm pretty sure the defense will be letting them down, and even if Tomlin and Butler somehow magically figure out how to slow them down, they need to keep throwing the ball and attacking. It's never over agt them... no lead is safe as Atl found out.

Tomlin has to have the mindset that his offense needs 42-45 points, and that isn't happening running the ball.

Roth has been playing lights out the last few weeks and is the star they need to ride to beat Brady, not Bell.

I don't see how you think attacking them all day through the air is not going to work. The Steelers have the leading passer and receiver in the NFL, and you ride that advantage. I guarantee you BB is going to ride Brady's arm...

The next time Tomlin does that will be the first time.

One other thing . . . I'd press receivers. I'd bring numbers sometimes with the intent to hammer Brady. If Butler and Tomlin go soft zone, it's over . . . even IF Ben somehow can hang 40 on the Pats, Brady will hang 50 on us.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
dolphins are giving them a ton of trouble with bootlegs
I can’t decide whether I like this or not.

Patriots loss here likely won’t mean much should they just win next week. And losing tonight would certainly fire them up/make them more hyped for next week.

Oh hell, I’m still enjoying it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Patriots merely trolling Tomlin as it would be more fun to make him think that he can beat them. They likely lose next week then beat the Steelers by 50 in the playoffs in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: KIRK

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The next time Tomlin does that will be the first time.

One other thing . . . I'd press receivers. I'd bring numbers sometimes with the intent to hammer Brady. If Butler and Tomlin go soft zone, it's over . . . even IF Ben somehow can hang 40 on the Pats, Brady will hang 50 on us.

Just said the exact same thing to a friend. They need to abuse the Pats receivers at the line.

Reactions: KIRK

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Steelers get home field advantage if they can beat NE this Sunday thanks to their loss against the Dolphins.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
That was the worst I've ever seen Brady. Was missing open WRs left and right and making bad reads. Looked flustered.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Any idea what kinds of pressures and coverages the Dolphins were running?

Tomlin and Butler should be looking at what the Dolphins and Chargers did to keep the Patriots' offense in check, create a scheme based on what worked best in those games, and mix in whatever the Buccaneers did to keep the Pats out of the end zone.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Great post, this is spot on. Did anyone else notice that the only loll in the Steelers offense was when they tried to establish the running game in 3rd quarter. It led to short series and Baltimore taking the lead. Unleash the offense, get aggressive to grab a big lead.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Any idea what kinds of pressures and coverages the Dolphins were running?

Tomlin and Butler should be looking at what the Dolphins and Chargers did to keep the Patriots' offense in check, create a scheme based on what worked best in those games, and mix in whatever the Buccaneers did to keep the Pats out of the end zone.

Doesn't matter. Gronk wasn't playing and he dictates completely different schemes. Brady also historically struggles in Miami.

Great post, this is spot on. Did anyone else notice that the only loll in the Steelers offense was when they tried to establish the running game in 3rd quarter. It led to short series and Baltimore taking the lead. Unleash the offense, get aggressive to grab a big lead.

I honestly don't trust them to stay agresssive all game. There is some kind of weird fear Tomlin gets agt the Pats and he tends to do the opposite of what he should be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad