OT: OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers and our pointless bowl games we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The NFL has a ton of issues.

And this kid lost his head and made a mistake with taunting.

However his is one of the big things that is right about the NFL and reminds us of when players simply had fun and did it right. He is going to be one of the most popular players in town in any sport.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
seems like a great kid. you can forgive an element of the juju taunting just based on the fact that burfict is pretty much viewed as a bully. pretty sure david stood over goliath for a bit but goliath didnt get a flag

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If the Steelers beat the Patriots and finish no worse than 13-3, and the Jaguars win out, the Steelers are the 1 seed, the Jaguars the 2 seed, and the Patriots are the 3 seed.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Any idea what kinds of pressures and coverages the Dolphins were running?

Tomlin and Butler should be looking at what the Dolphins and Chargers did to keep the Patriots' offense in check, create a scheme based on what worked best in those games, and mix in whatever the Buccaneers did to keep the Pats out of the end zone.

So I am a huge Chargers fan and I'm not trying to flame or start anything but the Steelers don't have the ability to run what the Chargers ran simply because they don't have guys that can get to the QB the way that Ingram and Bosa can. The Chargers run a 4-3 this year and play mostly man coverage and sprinkle in zone here and there. They usually line Bosa up on the opposite side of Ingram to make teams focus on each guy, but will also occasionally line them up together to throw a wrench at teams.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
You know what’s scary though is that while the Steelers’ defense has seemingly regressed throughout the year, New England’s has improved. I’m not even too familiar with many of their current defensive players other than like Patrick Chung, Malcolm Butler, whichever McCourty... but Matt Patricia is simply a brilliant defensive mind. Bet there will be a plan for AB/Bell.

And the Steelers may get their points. It’s just the problem is keeping up with Brady - they could end up being mostly garbage time points. They can’t settle for field goals and go MIA in a whole quarter like they did last night, or the game will get out of hand with Brady delivering death by 1,000,000 paper cuts.

New England's defense looked awful last night. It's pick 'em at this point for Sunday....for both teams...

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
So I am a huge Chargers fan and I'm not trying to flame or start anything but the Steelers don't have the ability to run what the Chargers ran simply because they don't have guys that can get to the QB the way that Ingram and Bosa can. The Chargers run a 4-3 this year and play mostly man coverage and sprinkle in zone here and there. They usually line Bosa up on the opposite side of Ingram to make teams focus on each guy, but will also occasionally line them up together to throw a wrench at teams.

We run a 3-4 vs a 4-3, so the defensive packages are already different....

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Steelers don't have the personnel to do what the Dolphins did and aren't practiced in press coverage. Also, no Gronk last night. And we don't have Shazier to try to match up with him. We really have no ILs to cover him.
I think we'll have to try to playinga press scheme and play an extra safety in place of an IL. Play Vince Williams in the box and a safety covering. That will make us even more susceptible to the run however
Hard decisions

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
We run a 3-4 vs a 4-3, so the defensive packages are already different....

Exactly. But even if the Steelers ran a 4-3 they don't have guys that can rush the QB the way that Bosa and Ingram do so there really isn't a way for them to replicate what the Chargers did.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ike Taylor among those suspended from NFL Network for sexual harrassment/misconduct.

Marshall Faulk and 2 Others Suspended by NFL Network Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations

I am going to catch hell for this, but the whole sexual harrassment thing seems like it is becoming a bit of a witch hunt. I get it, men are all vile creatures and need to be put in their place. But it seems like an area ripe for abuse.

Is there actual sexual harrassment? Of course.

But when something like this gets rolling it becomes weaponized and abused. I think to the abuse of the PFA process in divorce. Do women (and men for that matter) get battered and/or seriously fear for their safety? Yes, of course. However I have spoken to Judges who handle these and they hate them. Because you have to find for the person because you do not want to end up in the papers as letting someone off and a tragedy happens. But many learned that they could make a simple charge and get out of paying $500 or $600 for a petition for exclusive use of the marital residence and the courts got filled with these cases.

Not only is this current craze going to be abused, and much more, for political, monetary, and other gain. But no doubt it already is.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i would counter the 'witch hunt' comment by saying just be a normal, nice person and you wont have any problems?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
i would counter the 'witch hunt' comment by saying just be a normal, nice person and you wont have any problems?

Of course.

I stand by my comments though. I have seen too much in divorce courts over the years to not know the process can be abused, is in fact abused, especially when there is financial incentive to do so.

In this case those suspended were suspended after the filing of a lawsuit.

That does not mean that the allegations did not happen. That does not say that there are not real issues. Merely that not every accusation is the word from on high truth.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
So every pundit and their mother is saying you need to pressure Brady and play press coverage...like some of us on here have said for YEARS. What are the odds we actually do that, compared to “not living in our fears” and sitting back in 10 yard cushion soft zone?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So every pundit and their mother is saying you need to pressure Brady and play press coverage...like some of us on here have said for YEARS. What are the odds we actually do that, compared to “not living in our fears” and sitting back in 10 yard cushion soft zone?

They are idiots.

Tomlin knows that if the Steelers just get to their game it will work this time.

Reactions: KIRK

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Reports are that Ike tried to grab a woman in an inappropriate manner but she slipped right through his hands.
macuiGS.gif

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

The Steelers don't have guys who can get to the QB like Ingram? Cam Heyward has the same number of sacks whilst playing a much more demanding position that it's harder to get to the QB from. Do you have an ILB with 7 sacks? Your defense has 37 sacks, we have 41. Yeah, we don't have a pass rusher with the raw skill of Joey Bosa, but we also don't run a scheme that'd utilize him properly. Do you think he'd have double digit sacks playing as a five technique end in our defense? He wouldn't. For all the issues our defense has had at various times, getting to the QB isn't one of them.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Actually, I should clarify. The ability to get to the QB isn't one of them. Constantly deciding to rush three like imbeciles is obviously a mitigating factor. If there's any factor that will limit our pass rush, it's not our personnel, it's our play calling.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
OT but Zarley Zalapski dead at 49. MUch too soon RIP

Wow. Just wow. I remember when he was drafted. If I remember wasn't he the key piece in the infamous Ron Francis trade?

He was considered so promising that again, id I am remembering he even had a commercial nationally in Canada.

He along with guys like Craig Simpson were going to finally lead the Pens out of the wilderness and instead became trade bait and never reached what people thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad