OT: OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers and our pointless bowl games we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Cullen was really the key for Hartford. It's a shame to see anyone go at that age. I hope it's not CTE-related.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Wow. Just wow. I remember when he was drafted. If I remember wasn't he the key piece in the infamous Ron Francis trade?

He was considered so promising that again, id I am remembering he even had a commercial nationally in Canada.

He along with guys like Craig Simpson were going to finally lead the Pens out of the wilderness and instead became trade bait and never reached what people thought.

Craig Simpson ended up doing well in Edmonton after he was part of the Coffey deal. Zalapski had promise, but was kind of a bust.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Interesting angle.

Brady was diagnosed with an achilles injury three games ago, and his stats since then have been very un-Brady like. Including losing almost 100 yards per game passing and 5 TDs vs. 4 INTs. Granted Gronk was not there one of those three games, but still.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Interesting angle.

Brady was diagnosed with an achilles injury three games ago, and his stats since then have been very un-Brady like. Including losing almost 100 yards per game passing and 5 TDs vs. 4 INTs. Granted Gronk was not there one of those three games, but still.

It's definitely affected his mobility. I mean, he's not fleet of foot, but he's typically superb making those slight moves in the pocket to buy himself more time.

Of course, that assumes the Steelers will bump his receivers and bring pressure, which is quite the assumption where Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber's game planning is concerned.

In the meantime, for your enjoyment, insider video of Keith Butler coaching TJ Watt on how to go after Brady . . .

giphy.gif

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's definitely affected his mobility. I mean, he's not fleet of foot, but he's typically superb making those slight moves in the pocket to buy himself more time.

Of course, that assumes the Steelers will bump his receivers and bring pressure, which is quite the assumption where Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber's game planning is concerned.

In the meantime, for your enjoyment, insider video of Keith Butler coaching TJ Watt on how to go after Brady . . .

giphy.gif

Brady could be moving around on a cane and still exploit the coverages Tomlin throws at him.

It would almost be comical how he still tries to defend him in a similar manner every time, if you know, we weren't Steeler fans and all.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Brady could be moving around on a cane and still exploit the coverages Tomlin throws at him.

It would almost be comical how he still tries to defend him in a similar manner every time, if you know, we weren't Steeler fans and all.

Actually, I'm a Steelers fan, and I find it comical, if only because the alternative would involve me smashing rather expensive electronics.

As a serious aside, I'd blitz the **** out of him and hit him all day. We may win. We may lose. But, there's no reason we should lose the last two . . . so let him feel this one. And, yes, I'd bump his receivers all day . . . I mean, what's the worst that will happen? We'll get beat for big plays. Boy, that would be some departure from what he's going to do to our zone.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Actually, I'm a Steelers fan, and I find it comical, if only because the alternative would involve me smashing rather expensive electronics.

As a serious aside, I'd blitz the **** out of him and hit him all day. We may win. We may lose. But, there's no reason we should lose the last two . . . so let him feel this one. And, yes, I'd bump his receivers all day . . . I mean, what's the worst that will happen? We'll get beat for big plays. Boy, that would be some departure from what he's going to do to our zone.

They are on a league record pace for giving up plays over 40 yards anyway... so obviously their zone schemes arent exactly "keeping it all in front of us".

My favorite thing is playing ten yards off on 3 and 3... that's been their real key to success. I'm sure that will befuddle Brady like it has the second stringers they have faced.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They are on a league record pace for giving up plays over 40 yards anyway... so obviously their zone schemes arent exactly "keeping it all in front of us".

Logic would dictate that. To wit Mike Tomlin replies 'I see your logic and raise you two cliches'.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Brady hates to take a hit, he came close to intentional grounding a couple of times against Miami. Yeah I would try and bang him up even more, win or lose.

I am not advocating trying to injure a player. But hitting him util he is incapable of competing into the playoffs is fair game. ;)

Reactions: KIRK

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Two big news items heading into the game:

Pittsburgh Steelers CB Joe Haden returns to practice

This is a big week for Joe Haden.
The Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback has an opportunity to make his return in Week 15. Haden hasn’t practiced since suffering a fractured fibula in Week 10. He was back at practice on Wednesday, per Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.
Pittsburgh was targeting Week 15 all along for Haden’s return. It’s a prime time for the Steelers to get their top cornerback. The Steelers host the New England Patriots on Sunday.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said this will see how Haden performs in practice this week before determining if the corner can play in Sunday’s showdown. The team currently lists him as questionable. Signs are pointing in Haden’s favor.

Joe Haden took a major step on Wednesday

Of course the Patriots' news was expected for this game. He went down in week 8. But going into the playoffs it is a big deal.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I kind of think that the Patriots will double team AB and bring everyone up to the box to hold Bell in check and dare the rest of the Steelers to beat them. And I am good with that. But Bryant will need to get his head out of his rear and James and JuJu will have to have big games. The Pats do not have a great pass rush, bottom third of the NFL. Ben could stand there all night and pick them apart.

On the other side of the ball the Steelers have the second best pass rush in the NFL. Brady needs to be on his rear at least a couple of times, even after the ball is out of his hands. Take the extra 15 if you need to. Gronk is going to be an issue with Shazier out. But pull a page out of their book and take him out of the game and let them try and beat you with the run.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I kind of think that the Patriots will double team AB and bring everyone up to the box to hold Bell in check and dare the rest of the Steelers to beat them. And I am good with that. But Bryant will need to get his head out of his rear and James and JuJu will have to have big games. The Pats do not have a great pass rush, bottom third of the NFL. Ben could stand there all night and pick them apart.

On the other side of the ball the Steelers have the second best pass rush in the NFL. Brady needs to be on his rear at least a couple of times, even after the ball is out of his hands. Take the extra 15 if you need to. Gronk is going to be an issue with Shazier out. But pull a page out of their book and take him out of the game and let them try and beat you with the run.

Well, that's what they did last year.

One thing I'd like to see in response: Let AB run more crossing routes. The double is designed to take away that fly pattern he ate the Ravens alive with, but he'll have a chance to exploit them on the crosses.

And you're 100% on Bryant. He's going to have single coverage all day on deep plays. He damn well better step up.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
[QUOTE="KIRK, post:

And you're 100% on Bryant. He's going to have single coverage all day on deep plays. He damn well better step up.[/QUOTE]
I've lost hope in Bryant......but I could see a big game from juju

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

One thing I'd like to see in response: Let AB run more crossing routes. The double is designed to take away that fly pattern he ate the Ravens alive with, but he'll have a chance to exploit them on the crosses.

And you're 100% on Bryant. He's going to have single coverage all day on deep plays. He damn well better step up.

Bryant looks like he's afraid of getting hit. Ben doesn't trust him and why should he. MB has been so frustrating to watch....

Reactions: KIRK

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Losing their starting right tackle for the rest of the year is open invitation to hammer Brady. Especially for a team with the second most sacks in the NFL.

Win or lose we need to ding him up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Losing their starting right tackle for the rest of the year is open invitation to hammer Brady. Especially for a team with the second most sacks in the NFL.

Win or lose we need to ding him up.

I wrote that BEFORE today's news, so I'm on the same island as you and @Mr Jiggyfly

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Affecting any chance to play more press man coverage, it looks less likely that Haden will be able to play. He was limited in practice and said his leg was sore...

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It’s important to win tomorrow, could be the difference in the 1 seed compared to the 3 seed by seasons end...but it’s not the end of the world if we lose.

I just want to see what our team is going to do, that’s the biggest thing to watch. I wouldn’t rush Haden back if he’s still sore and if we meet the pats in the playoffs, he’d be an x-factor IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad