OT: OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers and our pointless bowl games we got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I never said that scenerio is better but #1 or 2 seeds have laid eggs right and lost in round 2. The Steelers are hot and if they stay hot the bye could could hurt their momentum.

It's been 5 years since a team that didn't get a first round bye made it to a Super Bowl. This team has injuries and will desperately need a bye when the regular season ends.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Id rather him stay out one more week and then we have a new gameplan if we can get to the AFC title game.

Reactions: KIRK

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's been 5 years since a team that didn't get a first round bye made it to a Super Bowl. This team has injuries and will desperately need a bye when the regular season ends.
I obviously want us to have a bye, but 5 years isn't exactly a long time when there is a theoretical 1 in 6 chance of making the Superbowl if you make the playoffs.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
As usual, a lot of beaten down mindsets after a win. Does this team have warts? Of course. But everyone has warts this time of the season. We had far worse warts in 2005 & that turned out just fine. They'll be fine. I want that #1 seed. Let New England or whomever come to Heinz Field instead of us going on the road.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Well, New England won it all last year without Gronk, and they’re without Edelman and Hightower the rest of this year. Granted they are a team that can seemingly lose anyone but Brady and still be fine.

And Not that I have confidence in being able to beat them twice like I feel they’ll need to do to get to the Super Bowl... but just find a way.

Losing Hightower is pretty significant, much more than losing Edelman.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Losing Hightower is pretty significant, much more than losing Edelman.
You know what’s scary though is that while the Steelers’ defense has seemingly regressed throughout the year, New England’s has improved. I’m not even too familiar with many of their current defensive players other than like Patrick Chung, Malcolm Butler, whichever McCourty... but Matt Patricia is simply a brilliant defensive mind. Bet there will be a plan for AB/Bell.

And the Steelers may get their points. It’s just the problem is keeping up with Brady - they could end up being mostly garbage time points. They can’t settle for field goals and go MIA in a whole quarter like they did last night, or the game will get out of hand with Brady delivering death by 1,000,000 paper cuts.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Id rather him stay out one more week and then we have a new gameplan if we can get to the AFC title game.

I'd agree with this if we had a coaching staff even half as clever as Belichick. I don't trust them to be able to come up with one game plan against the Pats, let alone two. This great idea requires a coaching staff who can come up with one dummy game plan that sets them up for the next game. If there's a playoff game, they then would also have to have a Plan B for the second half once Belichick starts to make adjusts. Do you really see Tomlin et al doing this?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I obviously want us to have a bye, but 5 years isn't exactly a long time when there is a theoretical 1 in 6 chance of making the Superbowl if you make the playoffs.

Having to play in the Wild Card round is the path harder traveled though.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
What's maddening about this D is the lack of so many fundamentals. Poor tackling, poor communication, lousy coverage, poor discipline (idiot penalties).
If we kept the personnel identical and improved simple fundamentals, what a world of difference it might be.
But Brady is going to feast on this group.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
What's maddening about this D is the lack of so many fundamentals. Poor tackling, poor communication, lousy coverage, poor discipline (idiot penalties).
If we kept the personnel identical and improved simple fundamentals, what a world of difference it might be.

It's especially frustrating since that has been going on for years now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Of course he is, that's why they need to outscore them.

There are only a small handful of teams that have the offensive firepower to outscore the Pats, and give them a huge dose of their own medicine.

The Steelers happen to be one of those rare teams, but that basically means Tomlin and Haley have to get out of Roth's way.

How many people feel confident that will happen... ?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
What exactly has Butler brought to the defense??? It doesn't look much more than a watered down version of Lebeau's defense. Not crazy with his hire.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Yep I do not see what benefit Butler has brought.
And the worst part is, even if we matched well v Pat's, we know that BB will out-coach us embarrassingly.
Are we going to see another soft-zone scheme v Brady?
Prolly Yes.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside, THIS is why the NFL and NHL face some real challenges in the coming decade. They still have no grasp of sensible rules changes and adjustments, or even following those put into place, that need to be done to keep the sports viable even after an almost billion dollar settlement.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Lets hope they don't have to throw 60+ on Sunday. If they do that against NE, they will lose badly.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I just do NOT want a repeat of last year's soft-zone, hoping inexperienced (but athletic) secondary can out-think Brady. Let them be athletic, play to their strengths. Blitz, bump the line hard, play man. Mix it up. Use the demographic (young/athletic) that you have.
Not saying it will win, but sitting back hoping to beat Brady in a game of zone chess was an embarrassing fail last year. Really awful to watch.

Reactions: KIRK

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
At best, we might have a chance in a Score O Rama game.
D keeps it under 30.
O puts it over 30.
All I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad