Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Name one forward who has played more minutes per game over the last 3 years than ROR.

1st line center.

Yeah, 3 years on a horrible team and still produces 60 points a year. Plus, the guys one of the hardest working centers I've ever seen. Things you can't appreciate if you don't watch him. He's a 1st line center on a lot of teams. He's a 1A-1B on a lot of teams. If you have a better center then him, add O'Reilly, and have a decent team already, your golden.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeo's has had very good defensive teams as well but his teams cant score. I don't think Parayko has been only the only reason the Blues has remained a top defensive club since Hitch left. Its their identity regardless. They are still one of the most structured teams in hockey without Hitch.
Yeo's is successful defensively because everyone collapses down low and concedes the perimeter to point shots in low percentage chances. This leads to extended dzone time and wears out the skaters. That's why you see the Blues rarely maintain any offensive pressure, the guys are tired by the time they get the puck. Couple that with the cycle it around the boards non stop and you have a recipe for low scoring. In the first part of the season, the Blues were successful when guys like Parayko acted like a 4th forward and rushed the puck. Swapping him out for a forward isn't going to drastically increase offense without sacrificing defense unless you have a replacement. That's one of the reasons the Blues could move on from Shattenkirk, they had an in house 20min+ horse waiting to go

WildThingRickVaughn

Apr 7, 2016
Why would Buffalo trade 5 years of proven 1st line center play.... for a few assets that very likely amount to nothing?

ROR is not a rental... he cannot be had for Prospect, Pick, and Filler returns.

He only goes in a hockey trade.

1st line center for 1st pair D.

Dallas's 2018 first rounder could be is top 15 in a strong class. Honka is more of a change of scenery player more than anything. I would do it easily if another prospect or under 25 player was included like Shore, or an NHL ready prospect, that would be a great deal for Buffalo.

That's more value than what Buffalo originally paid for him as well with Zadorov, Compher, reclamation project Grigorenko, and the 31st overall pick. I cant say the assets Buffalo traded amounting to nothing either. I'm sure Colorado is quite happy with Zadorov and Compher. As a Buffalo fan, I know Paryko, Heiskanen, Klingberg, or Hanifin is not happening for O'Reilly.

It's about finding the right partner, and at the end of the day, if ROR is traded, with the way things look right now, it's looking more like a deal where the best partners will need to be a package of picks and prospects coming back. I don't think there;s a team out there who can offer a defenseman of equal value who needs ROR, and can afford to take him.

I think Ryan Ellis would be very fair 1 for 1 value (if he had more term left), but he only has a year left and Nashville does not need ROR. Paryko would be a fair return, but I don't think that's happening because I think St. Louis values him way too much

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Dallas's 2018 first rounder could be is top 15 in a strong class. Honka is more of a change of scenery player more than anything. I would do it easily if another prospect or under 25 player was included like Shore, or an NHL ready prospect, that would be a great deal for Buffalo

That's a god awful deal for Buffalo

That's more value than what Buffalo originally paid for him as well with Zadorov, Compher, reclamation project Grigorenko, and the 31st overall pick. I cant say the assets Buffalo traded amounting to nothing either. I'm sure Colorado is quite happy with Zadorov and Compher. As a Buffalo fan, I know Paryko, Heiskanen, Klingberg, or Hanifin is not happening for O'Reilly.

No, it's less than Buffalo paid.... and that payment was for 1 year of ROR who was a pending UFA who made it clear he was leaving.

It's about finding the right partner, and at the end of the day, if ROR is traded, with the way things look right now, it's looking more like a deal where the best partners will need to be a package of picks and prospects coming back. I don't think there;s a team out there who can offer a defenseman of equal value who needs ROR, and can afford to take him.

If ROR is traded for anything resembling a package of hope, Botterill should be fired before the paper hits the fax machine.

Monumentally stupid.... Peter Chiarelli level stupid.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I know he is so overrated that almost every trade involving the Blues he is requested by the other team ..... He is not overrated, he is an elite #2/ low end #1 right now and he still is growing as a player.
"almost every trade involving the Blues he is requested by the other team..."

You got a wire-tap on Army's phone? Or are you basing this off of what is said on HF? Also, your value of a guy is based on how much they are requested via your wire-tap or an internet forum? Come on dude... I am a Blues fan. I love Parayko. But he is severely overrated and was downright awful the last half of this season. If Buffalo said ROR for Parayko and Army said no he should be fired quicker than the amount of time it would take him to hang up.

Hes not elite. Come on dude. He is good, overall he can eat minutes and has pretty good defense and an OK shot that is not consistent at all.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Dallas's 2018 first rounder could be is top 15 in a strong class. Honka is more of a change of scenery player more than anything. I would do it easily if another prospect or under 25 player was included like Shore, or an NHL ready prospect, that would be a great deal for Buffalo.

I think Ryan Ellis would be very fair 1 for 1 value (if he had more term left), but he only has a year left and Nashville does not need ROR. Paryko would be a fair return, but I don't think that's happening because I think St. Louis values him way too much
Doesn't have to be those guys in particular, but if someone in that ballpark isn't on the table for O'Reilly then you keep him. What we paid for O'Reilly as an impending UFA that wanted out of Colorado is irrelevant. He's a 27 year old 1st line center locked up for 5 more years. If a team wants him they are going to have to make an offer that hurts, not a bunch of B prospects and easily replaceable roster players.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I know he is so overrated that almost every trade involving the Blues he is requested by the other team ..... He is not overrated, he is an elite #2/ low end #1 right now and he still is growing as a player.

He's requested because he's a solid top 4 guy and you have Pietrangelo on the same side which makes people think he might be had for the right price. I see Payako, Ristolainen, and Rielly all in the same tier. And if a team is strong enough defensively to trade one of those guys for O'Reilly, I make that trade without hesitation. Especially if I'm weak down the middle. If you watched O'Reilly play regularly, you'd know why.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Yeo's is successful defensively because everyone collapses down low and concedes the perimeter to point shots in low percentage chances. This leads to extended dzone time and wears out the skaters. That's why you see the Blues rarely maintain any offensive pressure, the guys are tired by the time they get the puck. Couple that with the cycle it around the boards non stop and you have a recipe for low scoring. In the first part of the season, the Blues were successful when guys like Parayko acted like a 4th forward and rushed the puck. Swapping him out for a forward isn't going to drastically increase offense without sacrificing defense unless you have a replacement. That's one of the reasons the Blues could move on from Shattenkirk, they had an in house 20min+ horse waiting to go

Maybe if they had more talent up front they wouldn't be forced to cycle or depend on defenseman to score off the rush. Saw plenty off examples where a dman got caught up in the zone and we were burnt and blew coverage in our own zone. We had no other options but to rely on our defenseman to score. Our 2nd line was a 3rd/4th line. Pick up scoring and slot the defensive minded 2 way forwards down the line up. Just my opinion but a reliable second pairing dman is easier to acquire than a top 6 center. I like Parayko's defense but I think he lacks fire and compete and it seemed even defense took a step back this year. He didn't look good at all down the road. I think we as Blues fans tend to overrate our own players and do not consider there are other ways to build a team. Pietrangelo Edmundson Dunn Bortuzzo Gunnarson and Bouwmeester is still a better top 6 than most teams. Bouw and Gunn will play on the Blues next year and can play big minutes. They will get healthy and have no value so we are stuck with them. Again adding another RHD will be easier than a top 6 C. In our future, we have Mikkola who looked like another steal when we saw him play in training camp preseason. Walman is no longer 2 years away. Schmaltz will be 25. Parayko isn't our only option here. I'm not saying we must trade him. I'm saying if we should at least look at his market value and see if we cant get a better player.

There are other fans that believe this. This isn't the only one. There are more threads that talk about the Parayko's play. The hockey he played I the 2nd half was disappointing and he didn't exactly blow anybody away in the first half:
STLtoday.com • View topic - Parayko

Last edited:

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
"almost every trade involving the Blues he is requested by the other team..."

You got a wire-tap on Army's phone? Or are you basing this off of what is said on HF? Also, your value of a guy is based on how much they are requested via your wire-tap or an internet forum? Come on dude...
I am a Blues fan. I love Parayko. But he is severely overrated and was downright awful the last half of this season. If Buffalo said ROR for Parayko and Army said no he should be fired quicker than the amount of time it would take him to hang up.

Hes not elite. Come on dude. He is good, overall he can eat minutes and has pretty good defense and an OK shot that is not consistent at all.

Yeah I'm talking about HF post, I'm not sure if you realize this but that is where you posted your opinions, you talk as if you have some insider sources/knowledge but here you are posting on HF also. You are not smarter or better than anyone else posting here. Mocking someone for posting/discussing internet forums WHILE posting/discussing on that same forum is a special kind of stupid.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Would be extremely hard for me to take, but realistically I would give up Faksa in the right deal for ROR. Add a top 15 pick + Honka and possibly more though? No thanks there.

But, props to everyone here for not including Heiskanen in any deal. Seriously, thank you for not including him.

Also Klingberg is not getting moved. We aren't opening up an even bigger hole in our lineup to fill a less important role. ROR can easily be acquired with other assets. Shore + Ritchie can be added for free in any deal including him - this offer lasts forever and isn't limited to one per customer.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah I'm talking about HF post, I'm not sure if you realize this but that is where you posted your opinions, you talk as if you have some insider sources/knowledge but here you are posting on HF also. You are not smarter or better than anyone else posting here. Mocking someone for posting/discussing internet forums WHILE posting/discussing on that same forum is a special kind of stupid.
No, I gave an opinion. YOU are the one saying "but everyone on a hockey forum requests him in the trade talk section!" as your justification of real value of a player.

I never mocked you or said I was smarter than anyone.

Holy cow you are getting way to sensitive about this. Take a deep breath dude. All I said was it's silly to me to judge the value of a player based on the trade talk on a hockey forum on the internet.

I think Parayko is overrated and the Blues / Army would be idiots if they said no to trading Parayko for ROR. If that upsets you to the point where you have to lie and say I am mocking you and saying I am smarter than everyone else then maybe you need to take a break.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Maybe if they had more talent up front they wouldn't be forced to cycle or depend on defenseman to score off the rush. Saw plenty off examples where a dman got caught up in the zone and we were burnt and blew coverage in our own zone. We had no other options but to rely on our defenseman to score. Our 2nd line was a 3rd/4th line. Pick up scoring and slot the defensive minded 2 way forwards down the line up. Just my opinion but a reliable second pairing dman is easier to acquire than a top 6 center. I like Parayko's defense but I think he lacks fire and compete and it seemed even defense took a step back this year. He didn't look good at all down the road. I think we as Blues fans tend to overrate our own players and do not consider there are other ways to build a team. Pietrangelo Edmundson Dunn Bortuzzo Gunnarson and Bouwmeester is still a better top 6 than most teams. Bouw and Gunn will play on the Blues next year and can play big minutes. They will get healthy and have no value so we are stuck with them. Again adding another RHD will be easier than a top 6 C. In our future, we have Mikkola who looked like another steal when we saw him play in training camp preseason. Walman is no longer 2 years away. Schmaltz will be 25. Parayko isn't our only option here. I'm not saying we must trade him. I'm saying if we should at least look at his market value and see if we cant get a better player.

There are other fans that believe this. This isn't the only one. There are more threads that talk about the Parayko's play. The hockey he played I the 2nd half was disappointing and he didn't exactly blow anybody away in the first half:
STLtoday.com • View topic - Parayko
The entire team looked bad in the end half and down the stretch. There's no denying Parayko looked bad, but so did Petro, he was absolutely brutal at times. They are still top pairing dman. I do not agree that a good top 4 dman is easier to acquire then a top 6 center. Both Duchene and Turris was acquired with future packages. There just aren't any realistically available top 6 centers available that I would move our 2nd best dman for. RoR definitely isn't on that list. He's a more expensive stastny.

If the only way the Blues can get another top 6 center is by trading Parayko, then I'd rather they just rely on Thomas or FA. Creating holes to try and plug later just isn't a viable solution.

Reactions: 67Blues

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Would be extremely hard for me to take, but realistically I would give up Faksa in the right deal for ROR. Add a top 15 pick + Honka and possibly more though? No thanks there.

But, props to everyone here for not including Heiskanen in any deal. Seriously, thank you for not including him.

Also Klingberg is not getting moved. We aren't opening up an even bigger hole in our lineup to fill a less important role. ROR can easily be acquired with other assets. Shore + Ritchie can be added for free in any deal including him - this offer lasts forever and isn't limited to one per customer.

If it would be hard to give up Faska for ROR, then I just don't know what to say. That's like saying it would be hard to give up Reinhart for Matthews lol.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If it would be hard to give up Faska for ROR, then I just don't know what to say. Lol

Obviously I'd give him up in a straight up deal no questions asked lmao. I'm saying the package deal better be right because I'm not adding a ton to Faksa. He would be the main piece in the package

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Obviously I'd give him up in a straight up deal no questions asked lmao. I'm saying the package deal better be right because I'm not adding a ton to Faksa. He would be the main piece in the package

If you wanted O'Reilly, you'd add a lot. There's no way on earth Buffalo would even entertain the idea.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I couldnt have put that better myself. It is funny how we dont shop him but every team asks for him and the claims he is overated. lol

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
He's requested because he's a solid top 4 guy and you have Pietrangelo on the same side which makes people think he might be had for the right price. I see Payako, Ristolainen, and Rielly all in the same tier. And if a team is strong enough defensively to trade one of those guys for O'Reilly, I make that trade without hesitation. Especially if I'm weak down the middle. If you watched O'Reilly play regularly, you'd know why.

But we have no one that can step up and replace his mins. No one at all. Besides, we have some young talent coming up and their are some UFA centers that we can throw money at before trying to trade for one. Thomas almost made the team out of camp last year. I am sure he will make it this year. If not then we deal with it then, but not by creating holes in our defense.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
No, I gave an opinion. YOU are the one saying "but everyone on a hockey forum requests him in the trade talk section!" as your justification of real value of a player.

I never mocked you or said I was smarter than anyone.

Holy cow you are getting way to sensitive about this. Take a deep breath dude. All I said was it's silly to me to judge the value of a player based on the trade talk on a hockey forum on the internet.

I think Parayko is overrated and the Blues / Army would be idiots if they said no to trading Parayko for ROR. If that upsets you to the point where you have to lie and say I am mocking you and saying I am smarter than everyone else then maybe you need to take a break.

If you took the time to watch parayko, look at his stats, look at his toi, look at his warrior stats, compair him to others around him you would get why he is coveted the way he is. Since day one no one gave this kid his due cause he was a no name drafted in the 3rd round. All of a sudden he is on everyones list. You ask for him and when we say no thanks you get bhurt and say he is overated. ok you keep your opinion and we will keep our overated defense man.

Also for the other gentleman who thinks you should trade your second best defenseman for orielly because we have petro. Have you seen Nashvilles stacked D. Thats why

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
But we have no one that can step up and replace his mins. No one at all. Besides, we have some young talent coming up and their are some UFA centers that we can throw money at before trying to trade for one. Thomas almost made the team out of camp last year. I am sure he will make it this year. If not then we deal with it then, but not by creating holes in our defense.

If that's you angle, then that's fine. But to imply that O'Reilly has no business being valued like Parayko is nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad