Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
I didn't see anyone offering a second line center.

Any team that has ROR as their number one center will be struggling right Sabres ? Now when the Habs acquire Tavares and can put him as 2C i would be up for a trade, but not for top 5 tanked pick.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d offer Brodie + Mangiapane/Foo/Kylington + Rittich from Calgary.

Having Monahan/O’Reilly/Backlund would be deadly.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I love Toews but im not 100% certain he is a number 1 center anymore. But i would take him in MTL anyday.

Well if you'd take the last 3 years of Toews then you'd take O'Reilly. There the same tier of player. O'Reilly puts up the same type of numbers, except O'Reilly's been doing it on an awful team, he makes less, and is younger.

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
Well if you'd take the last 3 years of Toews then you'd take O'Reilly. There the same tier of player. O'Reilly puts up the same type of numbers, except O'Reilly's been doing it on an awful team.

Indeed very comparable players, but Montreal needs a true number 1 center in the position the are in atm. ( won't be easy to acquire ) JT is their best hope.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
That's bad for Buffalo. If O'Reilly's being moved, Brodie isn't the main piece coming back.

Brodie has been a star player for every coach not named Glen Gulutzan...

If he returns to form he’s a number 1 D that can control the whole pace of the game for 25 minutes.

Gulutzan just didn’t give him the green light and it ruined him because he wasn’t allowed to use his world class skating.

If he would be aloud to join the rush he would be way more effective. Put up around 45-50 a year.

There’s obviously risk, but Foo/Mangiapane/Kylington and Rittich are nice assets as well.

I mean people were calling him a snub for Team Canada’s World Cup team over Subban not that long ago. Interested to see if Peters can get him back into the star he was under Hartley and Sutter.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Indeed very comparable players, but Montreal needs a true number 1 center in the position the are in atm. ( won't be easy to acquire ) JT is their best hope.

Well yeah, if you can get JT, then your golden. But the odds of that happening are small. Montreal better do something soon IMO. You never know when Price and Weber will start regressing and there's a whole lot of cap tied up in those two.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

If he returns to form he’s a number 1 D that can control the whole pace of the game for 25 minutes.

Gulutzan just didn’t give him the green light and it ruined him because he wasn’t allowed to use his world class skating.

If he would be aloud to join the rush he would be way more effective. Put up around 45-50 a year.

There’s obviously risk, but Foo/Mangiapane/Kylington and Rittich are nice assets as well.

I mean people were calling him a snub for Team Canada’s World Cup team over Subban not that long ago. Interested to see if Peters can get him back into the star he was under Hartley and Sutter.

Buffalo isn't trading O'Reilly for a player that is coming off two straight disappointing years and has only 2 more years remaining on his deal. No B prospects can help bridge that gap either. There are no "if's" with O'Reilly, he's locked up for 5 more seasons he consistently produces around 60 points a year, and takes all the toughest matchups while playing great defensive hockey.

Reactions: sabrescupbound

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

He's just not the guy IMO. He's had two muh seasons, he'll be playing in a tire fire in Buffalo and asked to do a ton, And has only two years left on his contract, when he'll be 30 wanting a new deal. He'd be a sweetener to get a trade done for O'Reilly, not the main piece. Brodie as the main piece just doesn't do it for me and doesn't make sense. There's to much risk for losing a player like O'Reilly which would open up a big hole in an already abysmal top 6.

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So what happens when you dont get JT cause no one will trade you an elite level (abive ROR) number 1C for anything thats not bordering robbery? This draft is not really stacked with centers, so you have at least 3-4 years lead time until you have a C that can play at 1C level and thats if you are lucky drafting 1 this year or next.

Reactions: sabrescupbound

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
So what happens when you dont get JT cause no one will trade you an elite level (abive ROR) number 1C for anything thats not bordering robbery? This draft is not really stacked with centers, so you have at least 3-4 years lead time until you have a C that can play at 1C level and thats if you are lucky drafting 1 this year or next.

I agree. Montreal needs a retool, not draft picks and wait for years to see if the picks work out. Montreal's on a time clock.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
As far as Calgary goes, there are two pieces that both make sense for Buffalo, and Calgary could give as main pieces for O'Reilly. Tkachuk or Hamilton. Money has to be at least equal or in Calgary's favor. So it could be Tkachuk, Brodie, and Harmonic for O'Reilly and a pick or prospect ( something that doesn't involve cap space). Or Hamilton + something to move cap for O'Reilly. I'm not saying either team does it, but those are the only two that would make some kind of sense.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Any team that has ROR as their number one center will be struggling right Sabres ? Now when the Habs acquire Tavares and can put him as 2C i would be up for a trade, but not for top 5 tanked pick.

Eichel is the 1C, RIR will play agains other teams 1C

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
As far as Calgary goes, there are two pieces that both make sense for Buffalo, and Calgary could give as main pieces for O'Reilly. Tkachuk or Hamilton. Money has to be at least equal or in Calgary's favor. So it could be Tkachuk, Brodie, and Harmonic for O'Reilly and a pick or prospect ( something that doesn't involve cap space). Or Hamilton + something to move cap for O'Reilly. I'm not saying either team does it, but those are the only two that would make some kind of sense.
is that buffalo's 1st overall coming back to calgary with oreilly for tkachuk Brodie and Hamonic? LOL

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Resurrecting old threads!

Justin Braun
Chris Tierney
Pick #21
Maybe a prospect?

for

ROR

I don't think the Sabres do that. There's no "headliner" piece in there that other teams would surely offer for ROR. Don't get me wrong, Tierney would be a nice 3C for us, Braun would absolutely play in our top-4, and we could get another pretty good prospect at 21. But I'm skeptical that Braun, at 31, is really the type of player who'll put up 30+ ES points again, and the prospect at 21 is far from a guarantee. I just think that offer gets beat rather easily by another suitor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->