Only 96 playoff tickets went on sale in Toronto to the general public

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Toronto should have two teams. I’d love to see an inter-city rivalry there.

Theoretically, it would probably have a ranger/islander vibe. The corporate team against the blue collar team.

I would be on board, as the storylines write themselves. Have the leafs ever supported a 2nd team in the area idea? I'm guessing not. I'm also guessing that franchise has alot of pull, and will do whatever it takes to try and keep competition out of the marketplace.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Of the 96 tickets, 92 were single seats and 2 were pairs.

Two pairs of tickets were available to see the Toronto Maple leafs in the playoffs. Two.

I'm a full advocate for Toronto to somehow build a new 25,000+ capacity arena for the leafs .

I do wonder if some of the teams that get attendance no matter what, like Montreal, Toronto, would build new arenas at 27-30k in the future.

Is it even possible?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
This has been a myth.

I bought Leaf tickets off StubHub a year or two ago. Sens vs Leafs in Toronto on a Saturday night. Tickets were $150 each.

I haven’t been to a game in Ottawa for a while but I believe tickets started at $100 for Leaf games a few years ago. So unless you’re paying under $50 for gas, hotel, etc, you’re not saving any money. And when you factor in time..

Sounds to me like you're pretty close to equal. Even if you're coming out a bit cheaper, like a difference of $50, you can factor in parking for fans who don't live in TO. Where as getting to the rink during a visit to another city might be just a walk or cab ride.

But pettiness aside, It's pretty close. And that's rather ridiculous. And I'd rather spend $50 more and get to spend a weekend in a different City.

Last edited:

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Just ridiculous, and we wonder why ticket prices are so insanely over inflated when corporations buy them all up before any real fans get the chance. Those in smaller markets, appreciate what you have because this is bull****.

Prices coming down enough for ya? You're welcome.

- Da Bruins

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I would have assumed that season ticket holders get dibs so not sure what this is about? Why would there be casual tickets available for playoff games?

Reactions: Auston Marlander

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
oof. and I was whining about 180$ playoff tickets in boston. No wonder why teams like Toronto and Montreal have such a good presence at away games. Its probably cheaper to get a hotel, tickets, and probably make a mini vacation than it is to buy tickets to the ACC.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
oof. and I was whining about 180$ playoff tickets in boston. No wonder why teams like Toronto and Montreal have such a good presence at away games. Its probably cheaper to get a hotel, tickets, and probably make a mini vacation than it is to buy tickets to the ACC.

I've been to a decent amount of Devil's games over the years here in NJ and have met quite a few Leafs and Canadiens fans who take the trip because the entire cost of the trip and accommodations is less than just the tickets to go to a home game for their team.

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
Traveling Leaf fans and couple others end up paying off our season tix every year. So I don’t mind Leaf tickets are so hard to get.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It would appear at this point that the folks who bought up the 96 tickets got the short end of the stick. Assuming that they're Leafs fans, of course.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't understand. I could find tickets to the World Cup of Hockey final for around 30 dollars. This was in Toronto with a loaded Team Canada playing Team Europe.

Toronto is a Leafs city, not a hockey city. I mean you can can Marlies tickets with ease, and they are by far the best team in the AHL.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Season ticket holders get first dibs on playoffs for any team do they not?

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I've never been to a Leafs game in Toronto.

Last time I did the math, which was a few years ago, it was more expensive to get 2 tickets in TO than to get 2 tickets, a hotel, and gas to drive to Ottawa, Buffalo, NJ, or Carolina.

I've done trips to the first 3 (as well as some other cities, but not because they were cheaper).
If I was (still) a Leafs fan (and I'm not), I would switch allegiances to Ottawa, Buffalo or NJ, for this very reason.

Seriously, why support such a greedy, evil corporation and the greedy scalpers that also contribute to this system?

From the article:
MLSE imposes 30 per cent scalper surcharge on Leafs and Raptors season ticket holders deemed to be reselling their seats | The Star

"The Winnipeg Jets’ owner, True North Sports and Entertainment, handles commercial resellers’ profits in a different way.
Jets season ticket holders are required to lay down a deposit and sign an agreement that states, among other things, that they will not resell their tickets for a profit. If they breach the rule, they lose the deposit and their season tickets are cancelled."

Seems like one way to thwart scalpers. It's at least *something*. Yet, MLSE and Robbers, are reacting by just jacking up prices on who they think are scalpers. Scalpers will just react by increasing prices on the tix they are selling. The Leafs fan who just wants to see a game loses, either way.

Corporations who control or own the hockey teams know about the scalper world or at least, know their tix are getting purchased by scalpers and have known this has been going on for a while - they've done practically nothing up to now.

I agree with the OP: " Those in smaller markets, appreciate what you have because this is bull****. "
Good advice.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Toronto is a Leafs city, not a hockey city. I mean you can can Marlies tickets with ease, and they are by far the best team in the AHL.
Toronto isn't a Leaf city. It is an NHL city. 25-35% of the fans in the GTA are a mix of Habs, Bruins, Flyers, Oilers, Flames, Hawks, Penguins fans etc. Come playoff time then ya those numbers drop. I am talking about people who follow the team year round.
65-75% of fans are TRUE Leaf fans aprox and aprox 25-35% are non leaf fans
Come playoffs probably 90-95% of the fans are leaf fans but a third of those can't even name anyone on the fourth line.
Which is why there should be another team here. I want to watch NHL. I drive to Buffalo and support them, becasue it is the only place I can get a ticket. I cannot get a ticket in Toronto yet I watch highlights of numerous places that are at 75 percent capacity.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Toronto isn't a Leaf city. It is an NHL city. 25-35% of the fans in the GTA are a mix of Habs, Bruins, Flyers, Oilers, Flames, Hawks, Penguins fans etc. Come playoff time then ya those numbers drop. I am talking about people who follow the team year round.
65-75% of fans are TRUE Leaf fans aprox and aprox 25-35% are non leaf fans
Come playoffs probably 90-95% of the fans are leaf fans but a third of those can't even name anyone on the fourth line.
Which is why there should be another team here. I want to watch NHL. I drive to Buffalo and support them, becasue it is the only place I can get a ticket. I cannot get a ticket in Toronto yet I watch highlights of numerous places that are at 75 percent capacity.

You just gave a long winded answer showing that Toronto is a Leafs city...

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You just gave a long winded answer showing that Toronto is a Leafs city...
No I didn't. lol. They can still be hard to get tickets when most of it is corporate or season ticket holders selling them off. There is over 8 million people in the market and take away 25% of that there is still a lot of fans making it a high demand still. lol and like I said the corporate seats, the bottom half of the arena is filled with people who can't even name the whole lineup. Many of the true fans can't get tickets. The bandwagon fans that have money are the ones that are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad