Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I agree this is a big training camp and year for Stecher.....but worried about the trend....he's losing the size mis-match in his own zone and brings next to nothing to the table offensively. If the Canucks do upgrade their blueline, he could be one of the casualties.
I called this two years ago,WD is one stupid coach.He gifted him a spot over Tryamkin.Even a slightly out of shape Tryamkin is more effective than a guy slightly bigger than Cliff Ronning playing Defence.Ronning's open ice hits were WAY better than Stecher's.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I called this two years ago,WD is one stupid coach.He gifted him a spot over Tryamkin.Even a slightly out of shape Tryamkin is more effective than a guy slightly bigger than Cliff Ronning playing Defence.Ronning's open ice hits were WAY better than Stecher's.

Well Stecher is a top4 D man now. So there was something there for sure.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Well Stecher is a top4 D man now. So there was something there for sure.
Man,You're quick on the drawn just posted that.Stecher is only a top 4 on a lousy defence,Gudbranson is WAY better.Stecher looked like a crapped himself when Hartnell smacked him around.That wouldn't happen with the Guds.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Man,You're quick on the drawn just posted that.Stecher is only a top 4 on a lousy defence,Gudbranson is WAY better.Stecher looked like a crapped himself when Hartnell smacked him around.That wouldn't happen with the Guds.

Nah. Stecher is playing well enough to be an actual top4 dman. One of the best PK D-men in the league.
Wish Gudbranson showed as much effort night in and night out.

Gudbranson seems pretty injury prone too, he should probably steer clear of big strong power forwards like Hartnell to prolong his career.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Stetcher needs to be a lot better. He is still currently much more effective than Guddy. Stats show this, eye test shows this. Hell he is an adequate top 4 guy WITH Edler. Both him and Hutton with Tanev and Edler are a decent (far from great) top 4. Easily the best of the options we have... which isn't saying much.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So who would be a perfect partner for Juolevi who’s on the team or who is/will be available on the market over the next year or two? I mean, Doughty would be nice. Haha.

I think Juolevi is an interesting one to project in this respect. I'm not really sure what the "perfect partner" would look like. He projects as a pretty adaptable defenceman who can work with different types of partner.

He might do well with more of a physical "defensive defender" who can alleviate some of that element for him, while asking Juolevi to be the primary puck-mover with his quick decisions and consistently slick outlet passes (the biggest strength of his game).

But he also seems like the type who could fit quite nicely taking the more reliable, relaxed, defensive role to a more aggressive, offensive-minded, puck-rushing partner too.

I think that's part of what's kind of exciting about Juolevi if he lives up to his potential. Stylistically, he's the sort of defenceman where you probably don't have to worry so much about "the right partner". Should be able to find chemistry more easily than some others. In the same sense that Hamhuis (a trendy comparison for Juolevi) seemed pretty easy for a bunch of different types of partners to play with and look better for it. That's part of the value in what a player like Juolevi projects as. Even if he's not tracking as a "True #1D" or whatever, it's nice to have defencemen who can kind of chameleon into different roles with different players.

Yep. Can’t really underestimate how “tough” it must be not being aware that there are a handful of people on the INTERNET who think you might not be the best thing ever.

How do they even muster the will to drive to the rink each day?

I don't think it's really just about what this board or "the internet" thinks. It's about the environment with the Vancouver Canucks media and fanbase as a whole. Where i think it'd be extremely naive to suggest there isn't an abnormal amount of pressure and oftentimes negativity to handle here. It's been mentioned many times by various insiders, ex-players, etc. It's a thing. Especially since the tumble from the peak of our most recent Cup run i think.

It's weird. In Toronto, there's also insane spotlight...but it feels like their prospects are all largely treated as future superstars until proven otherwise. Whereas here...it seems to almost be flipped on its head. Our prospects are scrutinized with extreme intensity and often just torn down until they finally come good, or at least start to show truly remarkable progress (like Pettersson's magical season, Boeser coming in like a star, Gaudette winning the Hobey Baker, etc). I don't know if the massive overhype on that Hodgson+Schroeder duo broke us as a fanbase, or if it just comes with the chip on our shoulder having never won the big trophy. But there can very much be a pretty uniquely vicious character to the Canucks media and fanbase that doesn't seem to exist in a lot of other NHL cities for prospects (kids) to deal with.

Fortunately...i kinda get the impression Juolevi might actually be well-suited to that attribute of this market. He seems to have a pretty unflappable self-confidence in his abilities (sometimes maybe even unearned). Seems to let things roll off his back pretty well, which could serve him well here...as it did for the Sedins for so many years (especially in the tough ones).

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think Juolevi is an interesting one to project in this respect. I'm not really sure what the "perfect partner" would look like. He projects as a pretty adaptable defenceman who can work with different types of partner.

He might do well with more of a physical "defensive defender" who can alleviate some of that element for him, while asking Juolevi to be the primary puck-mover with his quick decisions and consistently slick outlet passes (the biggest strength of his game).

But he also seems like the type who could fit quite nicely taking the more reliable, relaxed, defensive role to a more aggressive, offensive-minded, puck-rushing partner too.

I think that's part of what's kind of exciting about Juolevi if he lives up to his potential. Stylistically, he's the sort of defenceman where you probably don't have to worry so much about "the right partner". Should be able to find chemistry more easily than some others. In the same sense that Hamhuis (a trendy comparison for Juolevi) seemed pretty easy for a bunch of different types of partners to play with and look better for it. That's part of the value in what a player like Juolevi projects as. Even if he's not tracking as a "True #1D" or whatever, it's nice to have defencemen who can kind of chameleon into different roles with different players.

I don't think it's really just about what this board or "the internet" thinks. It's about the environment with the Vancouver Canucks media and fanbase as a whole. Where i think it'd be extremely naive to suggest there isn't an abnormal amount of pressure and oftentimes negativity to handle here. It's been mentioned many times by various insiders, ex-players, etc. It's a thing. Especially since the tumble from the peak of our most recent Cup run i think.

It's weird. In Toronto, there's also insane spotlight...but it feels like their prospects are all largely treated as future superstars until proven otherwise. Whereas here...it seems to almost be flipped on its head. Our prospects are scrutinized with extreme intensity and often just torn down until they finally come good, or at least start to show truly remarkable progress (like Pettersson's magical season, Boeser coming in like a star, Gaudette winning the Hobey Baker, etc). I don't know if the massive overhype on that Hodgson+Schroeder duo broke us as a fanbase, or if it just comes with the chip on our shoulder having never won the big trophy. But there can very much be a pretty uniquely vicious character to the Canucks media and fanbase that doesn't seem to exist in a lot of other NHL cities for prospects (kids) to deal with.

Fortunately...i kinda get the impression Juolevi might actually be well-suited to that attribute of this market. He seems to have a pretty unflappable self-confidence in his abilities (sometimes maybe even unearned). Seems to let things roll off his back pretty well, which could serve him well here...as it did for the Sedins for so many years (especially in the tough ones).

Ya I dunno man. I think athletes are pretty good at just ignoring the media and all the stuff that we fans focus on. I mean if Jake doesn’t want to read about the mean crap that Botchford writes about him or Matt Sekeres says about him I think it’s pretty damn easy to just not read the Provies or listen to 1040. And most athletes aren’t really wired to base their confidence on the sentiment of the media anyway. They get it from coaches, teammates, and family members. In that sense I don’t think the Vancouver media is any more a factor than the media in any other market. I think we fans think it is because we read it and dwell on it every day. That’s not what players do.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I'm really sick of people pointing fingers at the fans and/or media coverage for their negativity. If any of these guys can't handle criticism from the media or internet, they shouldn't be here. That comes with the territory in any pro sport, many of which are far, far more fanatical than the Canucks or NHL. It's part of the drill and your precious little feelings are that vulnerable, go drive a cab.

And if you don't want all the horrible horrible negativity to fester, hey, there's always the option of putting a team on the ice that doesn't suck for years on end. There's always that, y'know? Blaming negative media and fan coverage is just one more excuse for Linden and Benning's failure to do what they said they'd do.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Guddy and Juiolevi absolutely do. And the two you mentioned, plus the two I mentioned are our top four next season, and we are going to the playoffs! :nod:
At Guddy's salary/term/injury history you can't say a playoff team would "absolutely" like to take that on (with any sincerity). With the two you mentioned in the Canucks top 4 it will be a bottom 3 team again.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Outside of Tanev and Edler, none of our Defensemen make the roster of a playoff team.
That’s not true at all. The Canucks are simply lacking another top pairing guy and a #4 guy. LOL. They have a #2 in Tanev, a #3 in Edler a decent #5 in Del Zotto and a gaggle of 6-8 guys. I’d deep six Hutton and Stecher and maybe Pouliott.

Their bottom pairing isn’t the issue. It’s comparable to most bottom pairings. It’s the fact that they only have two top 4 d men and one of them is constantly hurt.

If Olli doesn’t make the team out of camp I’ll be concerned. This should be an easy defence to crack

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
At Guddy's salary/term/injury history you can't say a playoff team would "absolutely" like to take that on (with any sincerity). With the two you mentioned in the Canucks top 4 it will be a bottom 3 team again.
Guddy was in the Playoffs with FLA. He was a beast, and averaged over 26 minutes per game. He played more than any other FLA Dman. I’d say there would be 31 other teams wanting Guddy for their playoffs.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Guddy was in the Playoffs with FLA. He was a beast, and averaged over 26 minutes per game. He played more than any other FLA Dman. I’d say there would be 31 other teams wanting Guddy for their playoffs.

This has been thoroughly debunked. They played multiple OT games that inflated his ice time, which was more in the 20 minute region, not to mention Brian Campbell babysitting him and doing all the puck moving for the pairing.

Reactions: CanaFan

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Paging @MS. @MS to the (....checks...) Olli Juolevi thread? Oh, brother.
The idea of Guddy in the Olli thread is the potential of their being in the top four together, and even being partners. Would ?Guddy or ?Tanev be better partner for Olli. When we make the playoffs, Guddy might be the best partner for Olli, because of his being awesome in previous playoff games with FLA.
I think this is totally about Olli’s place on our team.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The idea of Guddy in the Olli thread is the potential of their being in the top four together, and even being partners. Would ?Guddy or ?Tanev be better partner for Olli. When we make the playoffs, Guddy might be the best partner for Olli, because of his being awesome in previous playoff games with FLA.
I think this is totally about Olli’s place on our team.

As MS has said like a trillion times now, he played in one playoff series where 3 of the 6 games went to overtime, so saying he "averaged 26 minutes" is somewhere on the spectrum of misleading and disingenuous.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
As MS has said like a trillion times now, he played in one playoff series where 3 of the 6 games went to overtime, so saying he "averaged 26 minutes" is somewhere on the spectrum of misleading and disingenuous.
So you would say Tanev is the better partner for Olli? I agree. I see Guddy and Edler as our top pair, and Olli and Tanev as our second pair.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
31 other teams - so is that counting Seattle I guess or non NHL teams as well? I guess a lot of AHL teams would want him for their playoff roster.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
So you would say Tanev is the better partner for Olli? I agree. I see Guddy and Edler as our top pair, and Olli and Tanev as our second pair.
His numbers have been among the worst int he NHL in the last two years when he was used as a 5-6 dman. Put him on the top pair and maybe he could be, statistically speaking, the worst dman of all time?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Gudbranson belongs nowhere near an NHL top pairing. You can't prioritize "partnering" more than ability. It makes about as much sense as putting Gaunce on the top line because you think his defensive play would help Horvat.

Edler and Tanev are our top pairing, and there is no other option. Making Tanev play babysitter for Olli so that Goober the scoring chance fairy can be given the biggest minutes is about the worst scenario I can imagine, so it is probably what they will do.

Reactions: timw33

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
'I'm really sick of all the people pointing fingers at the fans and/or media for their positivity.If any of these guys can't handle optimism from the media or internet, they shouldn't be here.That comes from a territory in any pro sport, many of which are far, far more fanatical than the Canucks or NHL.It's part of the drill and your precious little feeling are valuable ,so get on the bus.

And if you don't want all that wonderful, wonderful positivity to blossom.hey,there's always the option of posting dailey on a thread that doesn't suck for months on end.There's always that, y'know.Blaming positive media and fan coverage is just one more excuse for Linden and Benning's successes,the things they accomplished that they said they were going to do.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad