Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is a Canuck’s board, so I don’t get Canuck’s fans being so negative. I do understand wanting our team to win though, and fans have passionate (and differing) views on how to accomplish that.
It's fine if you personally wish to approach it that way. However, know that there is a necessary trade-off if you want to have a loyal and supportive passion/faith-based attitude about the team, and that is that you are acknowledging that you are willing to sacrifice some credibility/objectivity in order to accomplish that, and admitting to intentionally trying to consistently skew truth in a direction that is less likely than reality. That is what being motivated by positivity (rather than just happening to have a positive or negative perception) entails.

Which is fine, but a lot of people fundamentally dislike and reject that attitude (treating hockey as an irrational religion rather than an interest), and you don't really get to act like your opinions are just as valid, likely, and credible at that point, if you admittedly subscribe to behaving that way, IMO (after all, that's built into the idea of having faith). I don't think there's really any way around that dilemma, personally.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's fine if you personally wish to approach it that way. However, know that there is a necessary trade-off if you want to have a loyal and supportive passion/faith-based attitude about the team, and that is that you are acknowledging that you are willing to sacrifice some credibility/objectivity in order to accomplish that, and admitting to intentionally trying to consistently skew truth in a direction that is less likely than reality. That is what being motivated by positivity (rather than just happening to have a positive or negative perception) entails.

Which is fine, but a lot of people fundamentally dislike and reject that attitude (treating hockey as an irrational religion rather than an interest), and you don't really get to act like your opinions are just as valid, likely, and credible at that point, if you admittedly subscribe to behaving that way, IMO (after all, that's built into the idea of having faith). I don't think there's really any way around that dilemma, personally.

Isn't fan the short of fanatic?
fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.
    synonyms:zealot, extremist, militant, dogmatist, devotee, adherent; More
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: timbermen

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Isn't fan the short of fanatic?
fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.
    synonyms:zealot, extremist, militant, dogmatist, devotee, adherent; More
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Umm, okay, sure, if you wish to take it entirely literally and make that concession, then sure, you could look at it that way. Congratulations-- You can consider yourself more of a fanatical, militant, extremist, zealot than people who have a negative view of the team.

I just don't see how that's a good or admirable thing to be proud of. And if you subscribe to that definition, rather than follow a looser definition of how it's often used, there isn't much of a point in speaking in the guise of actual rational discussion and debate.

Personally, if people actually used the term fan to mean actual literal fanaticism rather than the more casual meaning, I would actively want to avoid/be ashamed of being considered a fan of anything.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I think I love you.

Reactions: geebaan and MarkMM

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Admittedly, he's right on some level-- that association will always be there. For that reason, I've always found the idea of "fandom" to be kind of a stupid thing and don't even really like to call myself a "fan", because I associate it with being stuck in a willfully ignorant mob-like bubble. I kind of only begrudgingly identify myself as a fan for the sake of practicality/simplicity.

I'm invested in the team and desperately want it to do well (it's an incredible sensation when they do and a devastating sensation when they don't), but I completely despise the idea of that being any motivation for what I actually think about it. Some bias is unavoidable, and it's often ambiguous how much of that is at play, but that's something that you should actively try to resist and reject, not welcome and promote. When you do the latter, you might as well just come right out and tell people that you have no intention of being sincere, correct or truthful.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
being a fan is inherently irrational. you guys can never hope to truly rationalize a supposedly completely objective critical approach to the team with being a fan. if you were completely rational you wouldn't be a fan of a team you objectively don't like. that being the case, you have no position to criticize others for being fans in a slightly different way that is more positive, but no more or less irrational than yours.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
being a fan is inherently irrational. you guys can never hope to truly rationalize a supposedly completely objective critical approach to the team with being a fan. if you were completely rational you wouldn't be a fan of a team you objectively don't like. that being the case, you have no position to criticize others for being fans in a slightly different way that is more positive, but no more or less irrational than yours.
As I acknowledged earlier, personal investment and objectivity are at odds with one another, and I can see merit in the idea that total objectivity is impossible without compromising investment. However, this does not justify the all or nothing conclusion that you've presented. There is still a meaningful difference in sincerity/rationality between someone who actively attempts to resist, reject, and correct for this (built in) influence and someone who actively attempts to embrace, promote, and double down on this influence. The latter comes at a major expense in objectivity and sincerity that the former does not.

Reactions: Sleestack

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I don't think ypu need to lose all objectivity to have patience in your team's prospects. Part of being a fan is holding on to irrational hope that a player is on an irregular development curve. Just look at the paths of our previous core and it's not even irrational to still have positive feelings towards JV and OJ etc.

Reactions: timbermen

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
As I acknowledged earlier, personal investment and objectivity are at odds with one another, and I can see merit in the idea that total objectivity is impossible without compromising investment. However, this does not justify the all or nothing conclusion that you've presented. There is still a meaningful difference in sincerity/rationality between someone who actively attempts to resist, reject, and correct for this (built in) influence and someone who actively attempts to embrace, promote, and double down on this influence. The latter comes at a major expense in objectivity and sincerity that the former does not.

I am really enjoying your well thought out, some would say, intelligent argument.

Kind of a fun discussion, but mods will probably eventually clean all of thee posts out as this is the Juolevi thread, but until then...

I agree with so much of your point of view, but then you take this leap here. I think that, as humans, we get entrenched in our perspective and we seek an echo chamber or confirmation in what we read and look at. Most of the people wanting to be positive "Fanatics" don't want to hear the negativity- I agree that it is inherent for a fanatic to follow his/her bias. They, instead, want to feel good about their team/past-time. However, the people who "actively attempts to resist, reject" are just as emotionally attached to confirming their bias. They want change, a new direction, and they actually are motivated to feel frustration and anger on the topic.

Oddly, I am not sure that many positive fanatic is interested in becoming a critic, even to effect positive change, but I am equally not sure that many of the critics (I intentionally don't use the word haters) on here want to become positive fans. It is likely that each of us has our own personal motivation and triggers that make us act and feel that way.

This entrenched behaviour is the reason that, for example, a Trump supporter will support a Hillary Clinton statement if it is believed Trump said it, or a Hillary supporter will support a Trump position if she thinks Hillary said it (regardless of what the position is). For me, this is confirmation bias.

We all have a tendency to be drawn to one perspective, more and more as we become more entrenched in our bias. On here, this is on display every day, to varying degrees, by all posters, based on their own lense and the topic they are viewing.

IMO, one can not successfully argue that one bias has more merit than the other without subjectively imposing their own bias.

Yours is a great argument, using great words and an attempt at logic, but it unfortunately arrives at a place where we make a judgement on which position has more merit. In the end, both perspectives are reasonable behaviours and both are motivated by our own experiences. Which one is more reasonable is simply opinion.

Listening to those extreme views at either end is very frustrating- and that is my bias. But I am a sucker for frustration so I keep reading.

Reactions: Nomobo

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am really enjoying your well thought out, some would say, intelligent argument.

Kind of a fun discussion, but mods will probably eventually clean all of thee posts out as this is the Juolevi thread, but until then...

I agree with so much of your point of view, but then you take this leap here. I think that, as humans, we get entrenched in our perspective and we seek an echo chamber or confirmation in what we read and look at. Most of the people wanting to be positive "Fanatics" don't want to hear the negativity- I agree that it is inherent for a fanatic to follow his/her bias. They, instead, want to feel good about their team/past-time. However, the people who "actively attempts to resist, reject" are just as emotionally attached to confirming their bias. They want change, a new direction, and they actually are motivated to feel frustration and anger on the topic.

Oddly, I am not sure that many positive fanatic is interested in becoming a critic, even to effect positive change, but I am equally not sure that many of the critics (I intentionally don't use the word haters) on here want to become positive fans. It is likely that each of us has our own personal motivation and triggers that make us act and feel that way.

This entrenched behaviour is the reason that, for example, a Trump supporter will support a Hillary Clinton statement if it is believed Trump said it, or a Hillary supporter will support a Trump position if she thinks Hillary said it (regardless of what the position is). For me, this is confirmation bias.

We all have a tendency to be drawn to one perspective, more and more as we become more entrenched in our bias. On here, this is on display every day, to varying degrees, by all posters, based on their own lense and the topic they are viewing.

IMO, one can not successfully argue that one bias has more merit than the other without subjectively imposing their own bias.

Yours is a great argument, using great words and an attempt at logic, but it unfortunately arrives at a place where we make a judgement on which position has more merit. In the end, both perspectives are reasonable behaviours and both are motivated by our own experiences. Which one is more reasonable is simply opinion.

Listening to those extreme views at either end is very frustrating- and that is my bias. But I am a sucker for frustration so I keep reading.
I am not arguing that bias only happens in one direction and that it is not present with people who are negative. I am arguing that we should not attempt to embrace and promote our own biases (whether they are motivated by positivity or negativity) and wear them like a badge of honor, because when we do so, all sincerity goes out the window and we remove all doubt and ambiguity of its possible influence (which otherwise may or may not be a factor) when attempting to argue in good faith.

All we can do is identify and try to correct our biases as best we can. Not doing so inherently damages our ability to be as objective as we can be.

I am not saying that one approach is free of bias (which seems to be how you took it), I am saying that the other approach inherently and unapologetically introduces an additional unnecessary bias beyond a shadow of a doubt (which is something that the former does not). They are not opposite equivalents in terms of likelihood. Just like how someone being suspected of committing a crime is not equivalent to someone coming right out and admitting to committing a crime.

It is perfectly respectable and potentially rational to have a positive or negative perception. However, it is not equally respectable and potentially rational to be motivated by a desire to be positive or negative in general and intentionally have that influence skew your perceptions.

I don't see how that is a leap in logic rather than an obvious and natural conclusion.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think ypu need to lose all objectivity to have patience in your team's prospects. Part of being a fan is holding on to irrational hope that a player is on an irregular development curve. Just look at the paths of our previous core and it's not even irrational to still have positive feelings towards JV and OJ etc.
I am not arguing that it's irrational to have positive perceptions of JV and OJ. If you genuinely think that they're still on track to do well, then fine.

But how can you reconcile calling it "holding onto irrational hope that a player will take an irregular development curve" and then later suggest that it's "not even irrational"?

What someone genuinely thinks will likely happen and what their optimism or pessimism desires to happen within the realm of plausibility are different things that are often at odds with one another. Allowing the latter to consistently influence your opinions as a general motivation would inherently make your assessments a lot less likely to be true and a lot more rationally questionable and compromised.

The fact that someone sticks only to what is possible/plausible so as not to sound like a crazy person is better than the alternative, but it does not really change this reality. I don't really see any way around that.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I am not arguing that it's irrational to have positive perceptions of JV and OJ. If you genuinely think that they're still on track to do well, then fine.

But how can you reconcile calling it "holding onto irrational hope that a player will take an irregular development curve" and then later suggest that it's "not even irrational"?

What someone genuinely thinks will likely happen and what their optimism or pessimism desires to happen within the realm of plausibility are different things that are often at odds with one another. Allowing the latter to consistently influence your opinions as a general motivation would inherently make your assessments a lot less likely to be true and a lot more rationally questionable and compromised.

The fact that someone sticks only to what is possible/plausible so as not to sound like a crazy person is better than the alternative, but it does not really change this reality. I don't really see any way around that.
I don't get why it's considered irrational to have a positive perspective about Juiolevi's future? He's 20. He's got a great frame that his is still maturing in to. He's got elite skills, including an amazing first pass. The guy exudes confidence too. I see having a positive outlook for OJ's future as making perfect sense.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't get why it's considered irrational to have a positive perspective about Juiolevi's future? He's 20. He's got a great frame that his is still maturing in to. He's got elite skills, including an amazing first pass. The guy exudes confidence too. I see having a positive outlook for OJ's future as making perfect sense.
I literally just said that I'm not arguing that it is.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Being positive is one thing. Being dishonest is another.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

so, to summarize, your irrational fandom is more rational than mine.

i disagree. i won't say more here, but if you'd care to start a specific thread, i'd be glad to elaborate.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
so, to summarize, your irrational fandom is more rational than mine.

i disagree. i won't say more here, but if you'd care to start a specific thread, i'd be glad to elaborate.
If mods want to move this to its own thread, I'm fine with that. I think it's something that comes up all the time and is worth discussing, personally.

I would definitely say that small doses of unintended bias that is unavoidable despite best efforts to correct this is significantly more acceptable in discussions than large doses of intended bias that is avoidable despite zero effort to correct this, personally.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're arguing that because everyone is naturally susceptible to some degree of unintentional bias, nobody has a right to criticize anyone else for intentionally trying to be as biased as they possibly can be.

Last edited:

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018

Haha your response is so proper, don't take any offense, not on the attack against you, I had to go over slowly to understand it all, hahaha, need more coffee if all the posts are constructed this way lol....... reading this makes me feel like Kevin from the office

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If I were to say for next year:
OJ gets 0 points in 60 NHL games
Boeser scores 80 goals
Gudbranson scores 5 goals or 20 points
Canucks make the playoffs

Thats pretty dishonest

no, but it's a pretty dumb prediction because the events are unlikely.

an unlikely prediction last september would be that vegas would win the cup. it would have been dumb but not dishonest. do you see?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

This is is just....it. This is what I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad