Oliver Bjorkstrand

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Getting lost in the Bjork hype are his career numbers now...

26 games: 7 goals, 8 assists. 15 points. +10.

Smooooth.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Getting lost in the Bjork hype are his career numbers now...

26 games: 7 goals, 8 assists. 15 points. +10.

Smooooth.

Very good stats so far, and yet I don't really feel that he is comfortable yet taking the shots that are available, or working himself open via his handles. Tonight that goal from left to right waiting for the opening and then wristing in a bb glove side high.. that should become common place once given the green light to make something happen. That entire possession was a thing of beauty.. and he assisted on Gagner's goal as well by going into the dirty areas. Love OB.. love him

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Very good stats so far, and yet I don't really feel that he is comfortable yet taking the shots that are available, or working himself open via his handles. Tonight that goal from left to right waiting for the opening and then wristing in a bb glove side high.. that should become common place once given the green light to make something happen. That entire possession was a thing of beauty.. and he assisted on Gagner's goal as well by going into the dirty areas. Love OB.. love him

You're saying he doesn't have the green light?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
There were two recent comments that told me exactly what we have in Bjorkstrand and where he is in his development.

First, what we have - Jarmo said after the trade deadline (after - when he is much more likely to speak the truth) that the names most teams inquired about were Ryan Murray and Oliver Bjorkstrand.

Second - where he is in his development - in last night's post-game presser by Coach Torts he said "Bjorkstrand is now playing so much better away from the puck."

Keep that up, OB. Just imagine if he has one of those breakout events in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Then he just gets off the ice and into the weight room this summer. It should be fun to see what emerges during training camp.

Imagine this team with a better developed OB and a busting at the seams PLD!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
You're saying he doesn't have the green light?

Stupid comment by me.. I'm sure he has the green light - but was really talking about his being tentative in the past call up/ and playing much more aggressively this time up with the big club. OB and Wenny both see the game so well they do look to make the pass more than they look for their shot.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Stupid comment by me.. I'm sure he has the green light - but was really talking about his being tentative in the past call up/ and playing much more aggressively this time up with the big club. OB and Wenny both see the game so well they do look to make the pass more than they look for their shot.

I thought he had a really good game against NJD. Ironic that he was on the line I hoped he would be on. I thought those 3 really played well together. I think it's a little better fit for him, personally. Perhaps a little less pressure?

His goal was a nice move/shot, but for me the key is the play of all 5 guys on the ice. That line started in the defensive zone with Gagner getting a faceoff win and a good clean breakout that led to a really good 0:35 seconds of zone time cycling. A couple of really good keeps by Jack Johnson and David Savard. Really good work by the forwards keeping their feet moving and then Bjorky with the nice finish.

That line as a lot of potential to be an offensive threat and also help Bjork grow. Playing with vets is a good thing for him imho.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
His goal was a nice move/shot, but for me the key is the play of all 5 guys on the ice. That line started in the defensive zone with Gagner getting a faceoff win and a good clean breakout that led to a really good 0:35 seconds of zone time cycling. A couple of really good keeps by Jack Johnson and David Savard. Really good work by the forwards keeping their feet moving and then Bjorky with the nice finish.

I completely agree, that entire sequence was outstanding. Johnson's crash down to get the puck was so good I had to rewind the play and watch it again. So many times in the past he's pinched at the wrong times or completely mishandled the play it was like watching a different player.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Thought this was interesting

Thanks for sharing, JD19.

I like Bjork's production and I am trying to be careful to not put more emphasis than I should on stats since the sample size is so limited. So at the moment I am putting a little more emphasis on the eyeball test and I have to say I like what I see - I like it a lot. Bjork's skating and puck skills are among the best on our team. It's easily top six stuff though for now I like his slotting with Hartnell and Gagner and would be happy to see their TOI go up another minute.

Bjork possesses a quick, accuarate wrist shot I consider his recent propensity for hitting posts actually a confirmation of the accuracy as well as demonstrating a knowledge of how to beat the goaltender. Over time, enough of those will squeeze in. Does he have a lot to learn? Sure. But there is no reason to think he won't.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
We are not the only ones that notice this. Is there a risk that the CBJ will lose Bjorkstrand to the Vegas Golden Knights?

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I'm just glad his work on the boards has improved. Before he stayed away. Now he's getting in there. It will only help him become a more complete player.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Thought this was interesting

The "Bjorkstrand Effect"...wasn't that an episode of the X-Files?

I really liked how 43-89-28 looked last night together. The numbers above belie this, but I would have thought those three on the same line would be a defensive liability. Will be interesting to see if Torts keeps them together for a while.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Bjork is giving the team something very special, a third player with elite offensive goal scoring skills to go with Atkinson and Saad. Put those three together with "grinder" scorers like Boone, Hartnell, Anderson and Foligno and you have a strong offensive core.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Bjork is giving the team something very special, a third player with elite offensive goal scoring skills to go with Atkinson and Saad. Put those three together with "grinder" scorers like Boone, Hartnell, Anderson and Foligno and you have a strong offensive core.

Agreed!

The amazing analogy to me is OB providing the team with this type of boost at this time is like making a deadline trade that didn't require anything in return.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

That is a good recipe, someone with the talent to get the puck on net & someone to screen the goalie and pot the rebounds. Tomas Holmstrom played 15 years for he Wings and most of his goals traveled less than 3 feet:D

I would say that the emergence of Cam, Saad, Wenny and Bjork complements our D (Werenski, Jones, Savard and Nuts) who are also making a stronger contribution to the offense by getting the puck on net.

Scoring off rebounds isn't as pretty as blue line slapper but it all counts the same

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The "Bjorkstrand Effect"...wasn't that an episode of the X-Files?

I really liked how 43-89-28 looked last night together. The numbers above belie this, but I would have thought those three on the same line would be a defensive liability. Will be interesting to see if Torts keeps them together for a while.

"Defensive liability" is the first thing I probably thought of, but was willing to see. Certainly no liability so far.

I think part of it is that Hartnell is a much more professional player than he was when he joined the team. Having to fight for minutes has been good for him. Gagner has shown good battle although we know that comes and goes with him. And Bjorkstrand's compete level is well above where it was in October.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I know everyone here pretty much hates Jeff Carter, but Bjorks shot really reminds me of Carters. Both can really "snap" their shots, and both like to go top shelf.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I know everyone here pretty much hates Jeff Carter, but Bjorks shot really reminds me of Carters. Both can really "snap" their shots, and both like to go top shelf.

*pukes *

Ok, I see the resemblance. I'll say Bjork is better (amazing) at shooting from any footing.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of applying the "elite" label to a guy with 8 career goals seems a bit premature.

For that matter, the notion that Atkinson or Saad are elite goal scorers is pretty absurd as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad