Oliver Bjorkstrand

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He was one of, if not the best players on the ice last night. He was at a different level of GO than everyone else. His goal was nasty.

He's playing at a very high level, but I want to see it for more than 2 games.

Fingers crossed, he could be the offensive surge this team needs going into the home stretch and playoffs.

Saad has really raised his 2 way game the last week as well. That line has been dominant. 21-22-24 years of age. The future.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Fingers crossed, he could be the offensive surge this team needs going into the home stretch and playoffs.

Saad has really raised his 2 way game the last week as well. That line has been dominant. 21-22-24 years of age. The future.

I don't disagree, but they weren't a line for much of last game.

I think Saad scored with Anderson, and Bjorkstrand with Foligno.

Edit: scratch that, Saad was out there for Bjorkstrand's goal, Foligno - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand was out there for the tying goal (Werenski's).

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Well it has been three games. Isn't that enough? :D Not to mention he put the puck in the net all three games. Unfortunately the phantom "controlled puck" on the delayed penalty cost him.

I hear you though. I think he looks different right now. REalizes he needs to be consistent and a threat every night. His board work has certainly improved. Too early but I'm liking what I'm seeing...

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Well it has been three games. Isn't that enough? :D Not to mention he put the puck in the net all three games. Unfortunately the phantom "controlled puck" on the delayed penalty cost him.

I hear you though. I think he looks different right now. REalizes he needs to be consistent and a threat every night. His board work has certainly improved. Too early but I'm liking what I'm seeing...

Its early, but the shot he roofed over the goalies head while coming into the crease exhibited the kind of talent that I have seen before with a guy like Peter Bondra..slight frame, but can literally score from anywhere on the ice because he can hit the spots..lets call him the anti Chimera.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
I don't want to be the naysayer, because I do like what I've seen from Bjorky here the last 3 games, but I think we all need to take a breath. Let's not forget how many people were crowning Marko Dano as the goal scoring savior of this team. There are still areas of Bjorky's game that need a lot of work. Definitely has a good shot and some good offensive zone instincts. I just want to see consistency and 3 good games is just too small of a sample size. So let's not crown him just yet.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
What I see different is that Bjorkstrand's aggressiveness and energy stand out first this time, not the goal-scoring or skill (which he has). Yes, only 3 games, but they seemed to be played with the "I know they can send me back down at any moment...and i am going to make that difficult" urgency....that's the word I like to use , URGENCY. And he knows it could still happen, any time. Hopefully they all get a a sense of urgency about them, right around 6pm on Saturday. (or is it 5:00?).

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
What I see different is that Bjorkstrand's aggressiveness and energy stand out first this time, not the goal-scoring or skill (which he has). Yes, only 3 games, but they seemed to be played with the "I know they can send me back down at any moment...and i am going to make that difficult" urgency....that's the word I like to use , URGENCY. And he knows it could still happen, any time. Hopefully they all get a a sense of urgency about them, right around 6pm on Saturday. (or is it 5:00?).

I give him a lot of credit for playing a grittier game these last few than the last time I saw him. He's harder on and off the puck, which is a good sign.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I give him a lot of credit for playing a grittier game these last few than the last time I saw him. He's harder on and off the puck, which is a good sign.

I think that's the difference between Bjork and Dano... Dano was always a grittier guy and I was never sure he had that skill-level to be a great goal-scorer for us. With Bjork it's the exact opposite... if he can keep up this grittiness and compete level, I think he actually could be a "Maestro" in the NHL too.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
I think that's the difference between Bjork and Dano... Dano was always a grittier guy and I was never sure he had that skill-level to be a great goal-scorer for us. With Bjork it's the exact opposite... if he can keep up this grittiness and compete level, I think he actually could be a "Maestro" in the NHL too.

I think we need to be a little bit more realistic with Bjork. At the AHL level he's played 88 games and scored 31 G, 24 A, 55 P (0.64 PPG).

Bjorkstrand is a goal scorer. And offensive metrics are going to be how he's measured. The best comparison I have on the roster currently is Cam Atkinson in terms of scoring (purely an offensive comparison).

Well, Cam in the AHL was 89 games, 49 G, 38 A, 87 P (0.98 PPG). At the NHL level Cam has 358 games, 113 G, 102 A, 215 P (0.6 PPG).

I know this is a very rough comparison, but my point is that Cam was a more successful AHL player, and he himself has had a successful NHL career so far, and even his production has fallen by 0.38 points per game since joining the NHL.

These things are really hard to project from one level to the next as guys all develop differently, but one things that is almost always a universal constant is that guys production drops from the AHL to the NHL.

I definitely think the guy can play at this level, but my point is simply let's not crown the kid or anything and be realistic.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Vertigo I think he's about ready now.

At the beginning of the season Columbus did not need him in the lineup with the depth. There was no point in playing him regularly on the 3rd or 4th line when he could eat minutes in the ahl. That ahl time has done wonders for his game .

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Really liking what he's brought since this most recent call-up. Making it hard to send him back down, which is obviously the goal he's after.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
I felt like tonight was Bjorky's weakest game this latest call-up. He needs to get more than 1 SOG a game to be effective.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I felt like tonight was Bjorky's weakest game this latest call-up. He needs to get more than 1 SOG a game to be effective.

Well he is back on the #1 line today where he had 6 SOG previously their.

I'll be back for your analysis soon.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Assists on the game winner today. +2 and 2 points today. Not too bad.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Had a better game today, I thought. It helped that Wennberg was the best player on the ice for either team all game. I have the same complaint, though, as against the NYI. Bjorky needs to shoot more. I think he needs at least 3 SOG a game.

In his 6 games with CBJ this season, he's got 2 goals. On those nights he had 6, and 3 SOG. The other 4 games? 2 SOG, 1 SOG, 2 SOG, 1 SOG. I know it's cliche, but the more you shoot the more you score...especially with a shot like his. That's the strength of his game and I'd like to see it used.

Consistency is the name of the game for him. Keep doing what he's doing and I think he stays. Slack off, and I think he sits or goes back down.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Had a better game today, I thought. It helped that Wennberg was the best player on the ice for either team all game. I have the same complaint, though, as against the NYI. Bjorky needs to shoot more. I think he needs at least 3 SOG a game.

In his 6 games with CBJ this season, he's got 2 goals. On those nights he had 6, and 3 SOG. The other 4 games? 2 SOG, 1 SOG, 2 SOG, 1 SOG. I know it's cliche, but the more you shoot the more you score...especially with a shot like his. That's the strength of his game and I'd like to see it used.

Consistency is the name of the game for him. Keep doing what he's doing and I think he stays. Slack off, and I think he sits or goes back down.

You want him to avenge 4 SOG a night? Idk, only one person in NHL has a shot in every single game and it's Matthews. Heard that on Hockey Central. I think he's playing fine, sometimes you just don't get good looks.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm not to worried about his shooting right now. He's doing everything right and most importantly he's being patient with the puck. He's similar to Wennberg where he has the ability to slow the game down and make his way to the empty ice. It's pretty amazing honestly. His play tonight to setup up Wennberg's 2nd was a helluva play.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

He was the 2nd or 3rd best forward last night. If you extrapolate his points this year to a full season, he'd be the 4th highest scoring forward on the team and 2nd best plus/minus. Not sure what you are looking for.

Ceff Jarter

Registered Duster
Aug 6, 2012
I'm thrilled with the way we handled Bjork this year. I'm not sure he could have handled a full season in the NHL physically. Because of his stint in CLEVELAND, you can tell he still has some explosiveness that will hopefully be a huge boost in March and the playoffs. Then he has a full off season to continue to develop. Draft and develop!

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
He was the 2nd or 3rd best forward last night. If you extrapolate his points this year to a full season, he'd be the 4th highest scoring forward on the team and 2nd best plus/minus. Not sure what you are looking for.

You're making huge conclusions. Gagner was on pace for a 40 goal year at one point.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016

Ironically, if you were to do the same at this point he'd be on pace for 12 Goals, and 19 Assists with a +13 in an 82 game season. Another guy on pace for 12 Goals is Matt Calvert. Karlsson is on pace for 30 points and a +12 as the 3rd line center.

The pace Bjorkstrand is on this season would place him tied for 10th on the team (9th in forwards) in goals, 11th in Assists(9th), and 13th in points (11th among forwards) while receiving the 6th highest TOI/g of any forward.

In his last 5 games he's 0/2/2 with both assists coming against the NYR.

-----

Look, I like his offensive IQ and he's got a nice shot. But he's getting 1st line minutes and giving us 3rd line production. I understand he's a rookie, but at some point we have to drop his minutes if he's not going to produce like a top line minutes guy. I'd move Saad back to 71/10 and put Bjork on the Hartnell/Gagner line.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Ironically, if you were to do the same at this point he'd be on pace for 12 Goals, and 19 Assists with a +13 in an 82 game season. Another guy on pace for 12 Goals is Matt Calvert. Karlsson is on pace for 30 points and a +12 as the 3rd line center.

The pace Bjorkstrand is on this season would place him tied for 10th on the team (9th in forwards) in goals, 11th in Assists(9th), and 13th in points (11th among forwards) while receiving the 6th highest TOI/g of any forward.

In his last 5 games he's 0/2/2 with both assists coming against the NYR.

-----

Look, I like his offensive IQ and he's got a nice shot. But he's getting 1st line minutes and giving us 3rd line production. I understand he's a rookie, but at some point we have to drop his minutes if he's not going to produce like a top line minutes guy. I'd move Saad back to 71/10 and put Bjork on the Hartnell/Gagner line.

Bjork's got 4 pts in his last 7 or 8 games. That is simultaneously:

A really small sample size.

A normal rate for a top six winger

Not super relevant to what line he should be on. Torts/Larsen could have told you from the beginning that Saad is the better player. They're trying to spread the scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad