Friedman: Oilers offseason moves?

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Look where Oilers trades have gotten them.
If you can fleece a team like Nashville or NYI does you make it, otherwise you stick with the draft.
Absolutely no more UFA signing and no more "No movement clauses"
Look what it got the NYI lol

Jan 21, 2018
Martin Jones, Colin Miller and Barzal(lol) for Lucic.

Good return?

No, they got Jones, Miller and the 13th overall pick for Lucic.

At the time the trade was made, Lucic was still a high end player that had playoff teams lining up to acquire. Lets not forget the kings got Lucic for the whole year, and probably would have been able to re-sign him at a cheaper rate until Chiarelli went full Chiarelli. Consider the asking price for rentals at the deadline, a backup goalie putting up good numbers, a decent bottom pairing dman and a top 15 pick was fair value for Lucic at that time.

Again, same thing with Hamilton. Flames gave up a top 15 pick++ for a legit top 4D with top pairing upside.

Chiarelli wouldn't have been flamed as badly if he kept the pick and selected someone other than Barzal. We understand no GM has the benefit of hindsight.

But he traded the pick for Reinhart, who already had question marks at the draft and was approaching bust status before even being traded to Edmonton. Chiarelli made a rookie move, making a trade to acquire a dman because of the pressure on him. And then he didn't even learn from that mistake and traded Hall for Larsson.

If Chiarelli had more patience, the Oilers would probably have missed the playoffs in his first year but been a potential dynasty that could win multiple cups in his tenure. He was handed a golden ticket and threw it away for a quick fix.

So again, everyone that "traded" Barzal got good value in return. Except Chiarelli.

Reactions: Skobel24

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

At the time the trade was made, Lucic was still a high end player that had playoff teams lining up to acquire. Lets not forget the kings got Lucic for the whole year, and probably would have been able to re-sign him at a cheaper rate until Chiarelli went full Chiarelli. Consider the asking price for rentals at the deadline, a backup goalie putting up good numbers, a decent bottom pairing dman and a top 15 pick was fair value for Lucic at that time.

Again, same thing with Hamilton. Flames gave up a top 15 pick++ for a legit top 4D with top pairing upside.

Chiarelli wouldn't have been flamed as badly if he kept the pick and selected someone other than Barzal. We understand no GM has the benefit of hindsight.

But he traded the pick for Reinhart, who already had question marks at the draft and was approaching bust status before even being traded to Edmonton. Chiarelli made a rookie move, making a trade to acquire a dman because of the pressure on him. And then he didn't even learn from that mistake and traded Hall for Larsson.

If Chiarelli had more patience, the Oilers would probably have missed the playoffs in his first year but been a potential dynasty that could win multiple cups in his tenure. He was handed a golden ticket and threw it away for a quick fix.

So again, everyone that "traded" Barzal got good value in return. Except Chiarelli.
The difference it was pretty much confirmed that the Kings were going to select Barzal, while the Oilers were confirmed to select Eriksson Ek

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017

Kings offered Lucic same money and longer term.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
In my opinion, Klefbom should be the 3rd most untouchable guy on the team. Before Nurse, Puljujarvi, Nuge or Larsson.

He has a lot of talent, smooth fast skating, plays a very smart controlled game, has the size and the shutdown ability. As well as a cannon of a shot. When he is playing healthy and with confidence (i.e. the 2nd half of last year + playoffs) he looks like a true #1D.

He is injured this year, and is also being given weak partners like Benning. I have faith that he'll return to form and become a #1d as soon as next year.

Some Oiler fans think Nurse is the new big shot (but he just doesn't have the offense) others think Larsson (who gets overrated by some Oiler fans due to the Hall trade), but I think that Klefbom will emerge as "the guy" on the Oilers backend. He gets underrated by Oiler fans and league wide alike.

I'd be beyond furious if Chia traded him.

Not sure where you’re getting shutdown ability, save a month at the end of last season, Klefbom has been abysmal when the opposition has had the puck past the red line and in our zone, and during that time we were playing very well defensively as a team.

He reminds me of an injury-prone Del Zotto, all offense, no defense. You might get a quality season from him numbers/possession wise, but by no means is he a complete defenseman. Nurse is well ahead of him in this regard and has good offensive chops and a decent slapshot too.

As usual, some Oilers fans are overestimating a player based on a few specific abilities, the first pass out of the zone, and skating the puck out.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

This is a fallacy. Even if we kept everyone (impossible under the cap) we’d be undone in the postseason when offense on the rush is less effective and open space disappears, not to mention our defensive deficiencies would be cruelly exposed.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
This is a fallacy. Even if we kept everyone (impossible under the cap) we’d be undone in the postseason when offense on the rush is less effective and open space disappears, not to mention our defensive deficiencies would be cruelly exposed.

False. Maybe in the long term, we wouldn't be able to keep everyone but the team we would've had would be unreal. The panic moves in terms of trading for Reinhart cause defense and trading for Larsson cause defense. Set this franchise back BIG time. We wouldn't be in this current situation.

2015 NHL Draft
1st-Connor McDavid
16th-Joel Eriksson Ek(rumored to be our guy)
33rd-Brandon Carlo(rumored to be our guy)

Free Agency
Andrej Sekera
Mark Letestu

2016 NHL Draft
4th-Jesse Pulujarvi-RW

2016 Free Agency
It has been rumored that we would have signed Demers, if we kept Hall.

2016-2017 Edmonton Oilers

Maroon-McDavid-Drasaitl
Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-DD-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Demers
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Carlo
Benning

We wouldn't need to re-sign Russell, Nurse+Carlo+Benning are young enough and cheap enough to not need to re-sign him. We could sign an FA that's cheaper than Russell to fill his spot on the roster.

Our left wing prior to 2015 was Hall,Perron,Pouliot. We traded Hall for Larsson, which filled a need on RHD. Replace Hall with Lucic. We traded Perron for 16th Overall, traded 16th Overall for Reinhart, and We brought out Pouliot. We created a hole to fill another and that's why we are at the bottom of the league again.We started the season with maroon, Lucic, and Caggiula.

Management should've had the mentality of who do we build around? What pieces do we have? How can we find a solution? What direction is the league is heading? Do we get faster? or do we get slower? Let's not make a panic decision with this team.

Forwards
Hall-Elite Winger who had a rough season
McDavid-Elite Centre
Drastaitl- #2 Centre
Eberle-25 Goal 35 assist winger
Nuge- 50 Point C

Defencemen
Klefbom-Young lHD
Nurse-Young LHD
Schultz-Young PPQB RHD with ???

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I stand by my statements from other threads - part of me legitimately believes the Oilers will bring him along very, very slowly to keep his second contract caphit down.

That's ridiculously stupid. They know firsthand how an organization can ruin a player (Yakupov, Schultz, Dubnyk, etc.). This isn't some video game where you can leave them in the bottom 6 or AHL and then sign them to a cheap 8 year cap hit.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's ridiculously stupid. They know firsthand how an organization can ruin a player (Yakupov, Schultz, Dubnyk, etc.). This isn't some video game where you can leave them in the bottom 6 or AHL and then sign them to a cheap 8 year cap hit.

I didn’t say it was smart. I just can’t figure out what else it could be. JP is a good passer, he’s fast, he’s defensively responsible, seems to take direction well, his conditioning is A+ (kid is shredded) and he’s got an absolute laser beam of a shot.

He has GOT to cut his stick down though. Misses high quite a bit because he hasn’t got full control of that tree trunk of a stick he uses.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
I think the issue with the whole Barzal fiasco is that first off, they really overpaid for Reinhart which looks bad, but saying the Oilers weren't gonna draft Barzal anyways isn't a very good excuse. That just shows that the Oiler's scouts were out to lunch (not necessarily Chiarelli's fault) PLUS Eriksson-Ek who they were rumoured to be after is a centre, like Barzal so there goes the "positional strength" argument.

With that being said, saying that the Oilers traded Barzal is just wrong, they traded a mid first round pick (which is still overpayment in context)

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I didn’t say it was smart. I just can’t figure out what else it could be. JP is a good passer, he’s fast, he’s defensively responsible, seems to take direction well, his conditioning is A+ (kid is shredded) and he’s got an absolute laser beam of a shot.

He has GOT to cut his stick down though. Misses high quite a bit because he hasn’t got full control of that tree trunk of a stick he uses.

So they intentionally want to waste a year of McDavid's ELC to save money on Pujiravi's 2nd contract?

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I stand by my statements from other threads - part of me legitimately believes the Oilers will bring him along very, very slowly to keep his second contract caphit down.

Isn't that what the attempted this year? Drag down his stats so the can ink a multi year deal this summer.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Honestly, and I don’t see how It could be made without doing a mobster style deal of packaging assets with value with him. Move Lucic to an uncompetitive team with/without retention... that would determine the level of assets sent with him... to free up money to spend, and the key word is, wisely on the back end. I have NO idea what that package move would be but Lucic would be addition by subtraction in a number of ways for Edmonton. Even if that money only brought in a duo or trio of role players the team would be better off. Again though I have no idea how they move that contract but moving him should be the sole major off season effort for them going forward because both player and contract are and absolute anchor.

Reactions: McDaddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad