Friedman: Oilers offseason moves?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Absolutely more
How much more?

If the Oilers are looking to go big in the UFA market for a d-man like John Carlson if he doesn't re-sign or make a legit offer to OEL, who apparently wants to win now and not suffer through a rebuild, then Klefbom will be a key piece there. Otherwise that's not a bad offer from the Pens in my opinion.

I might consider a pick in the deal like a 2nd in 2019. Not sure what JR's plans are but he went hard after McD of the Rangers so I can see him going big game hunting for the D.

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
If be ok I we traded both of them as long as we get a more offensive dman and a scoring winger or wingers in return

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im not a fan of Klef myself, but Oilers need to keep him. I wouldnt really know what the game plan is if they trade him away. Id officially be stumped

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Hall for Larsson, Barzal for Reinhart, Eberle for Strome werent?

Hall for Larsson was overpayment but it needed to happen , Eberle was Strome wasn't bad at all . Strome is scoring at 66% of Eberle at 1/2 the price and is much better defensively . Reinhart deal was terrible but Chia was a new GM and the Oilers were always pushing for Reinhart . Even tho the buck stop at Chia on that one and it was beyond terrible

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Even if we get Dahlin he plays the right side and we need a right side puckmover anyways with Klefbom.

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Dahlin
Sekera - Russell

There's the D. Makes absolutely no sense to move Klefbom.
Pretty sure Dahlin plays LD

Reactions: CycloneSweep

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Even if we get Dahlin he plays the right side and we need a right side puckmover anyways with Klefbom.

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Dahlin
Sekera - Russell

Sure it does...

Nurse - Larsson
Sekera - Barrie
Russell - Dahlin

Reactions: A91

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Klefbom of last season is a better player than Barrie has ever been. If we get Dahlin we don't really need a Barrie type of D. I'd bank on Klefbom recovering from his shoulder injury and getting back to form.
In reality we're not getting him though so it's a bit of a moot point.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Im not a fan of Klef myself, but Oilers need to keep him. I wouldnt really know what the game plan is if they trade him away. Id officially be stumped

While I agree that there is very little reason to move Klefbom, he does seem to get dinged up quite a bit. I understand there was some wacky skin condition thing with him and all that, but at some point you have to notice that he's missed some games or has seemingly been negatively affected by injury throughout his career. After his 'breakout' season last year, his game kinda went down the toilet this year rather than being able to keep that momentum and take the next step and validate last year. Losing Sekera definitely hurt he defense group and the bum shoulder would explain a lot. Still, what is Klefbom at this point? The jury is still out on him and that's gotta be a bit concerning to some.

It reminds me of the Calvin de Haan saga with the Isles. Talented and can clearly play at a high level, has a lot of injury setbacks that have held him back. CdH's shoulders are bionic at this point. Add in the crappy development environment for both players, there are a lot of similarities. It may be worth it to try and upgrade on him by shipping him off. Ideally dealing him when his value is low is not very smart, but Chiarelli has proven that he's willing to take a loss in a trade if he thinks he comes out on top in the end.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Dahlin
Sekera - Russell

He’d still replace what Klefbom brings to the Oilers, at an astronomically higher level
If they could land an elite winger to play with McDavid I could see it making sense but idk. They’d be selling low on Klefbom right now though

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Well he might be expendable once they draft Dahlin

Smart guy!!! :skeptic: but me thinks if the awful Canucks finish below the Oilers in the standings but lose out to them for the Dahlin sweepstakes, there's going to be a lot of beer being cried in on the Left Coast, and other team's fans would crash in Internet in protest looking for Bettman's head on a platter!!! :laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
IMO Friedman has got this wrong.

Klefbom isn’t being played because he’s being showcased.

He’s being played because even if he’s only at 70%, he’s better than all our defencemen except Nurse and Larsson. Sekera has been hot garbage since coming back (understandably so), Benning has regressed, Gryba got demoted, we actually sold high on somebody (Davidson) and McLellan would rather coach at th ECHL level than play Auvitu it seems.

Klefbom was a legitimate top pairing defenceman for us last year. The powerplay being god awful nerfed most of his offense, his shoulder and the goaltending being extra porous is hurting his defence. Moving him would be incredibly stupid.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

DanAlex83

Feb 9, 2018
There was an interview with McClellan on the radio today said Klefbom is playing because Klefbom wants to and is not hurt enough for the team to sit him... at least I think that's what i heard, was busy driving at the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad