Friedman: Oilers offseason moves?

Habsfann

Apr 13, 2014
I'm thinking the oilers should target Zuccarello, I think he would be a perfect fit on McDavids wing.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
RNH is worth more then Hoffman and the 1st is worth far more then Pageau
Well you have a hole on 3c, hoff is about on par with rnh (since next year when his shooting % drops he will go back to being an overpaid player) and maybe your 1st is worth abit more but it likely could be 10th overall in which case Pageau could be the better overall choice. Could. But your not going to agree so lets move along. Sens are likely targetting Kleft anyways.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Why in all honesty, do the Oilers think that trading this guy or that guy is going to make one bit of difference?

It won't, they have all the talent any team could ask for. They already made a major "Chemistry" move, it worked, and then it didn't....Whatever is wrong with this team, it's not player personal, its not the coach, and with this much talent, the GM's job is largely done, they don't need much.

Whatever is wrong with this team is farther up the food chain,

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Chia should be appropriately terrified of any future trades.. His track record has been franchise destroying. Poor Oiler fans didn't deserve all the good luck or bad decisions.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Why in all honesty, do the Oilers think that trading this guy or that guy is going to make one bit of difference?

It won't, they have all the talent any team could ask for. They already made a major "Chemistry" move, it worked, and then it didn't....Whatever is wrong with this team, it's not player personal, its not the coach, and with this much talent, the GM's job is largely done, they don't need much.

Whatever is wrong with this team is farther up the food chain,

Interesting. You should post a thread with your thoughts.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chia should be appropriately terrified of any future trades.. His track record has been franchise destroying. Poor Oiler fans didn't deserve all the good luck or bad decisions.
Oh please, that is such hyperbole. Yes, he has a few really bad moves, but he has an equal amount of good moves, moves that were necessary for us to make the playoffs last season. He signed Lucic, which is looking really bad atm, but he also signed Sekera. He traded the Barzal pick, but he also traded for Talbot.

There's also moves like the Eberle trade and Hall trade that people really overstate, and it's based on earlier in the season when things were at their worst. The Islanders were firmly in a playoff spot, while Strome was awful. But look now. The Islanders are awful, not making the playoffs, and Strome has steadily improved to the point where the trade now makes sense when you figure in the future cap savings. As for the Hall trade, that was necessary for us to make the playoffs last year, all while Hall had a disappointing season, and early this season he was red hot, the Devils were near the top of the East, and Larsson was struggling with injury and family issues. Well now Hall is still great but the Devils have fallen to the point that they might miss the playoffs, and Larsson has recovered and is looking like he did in the last two seasons. So sure that one is still looking like a value loss, but it's hardly franchise destroying.

And btw I get it. The Oilers suck, and the GM owns the responsibility for that. It's just that this crazy hyperbole about how bad he is has gone way out of hand. I wouldn't defend him at all if it weren't for how off the rails the hyperbole has gotten. Personally I am curious to see what he does this offseason, and I want him to fix the damn team. We need him to make more good moves like the Sekera signing, Talbot trade and signing, and the Maroon trade (the first one).

Reactions: Ck1 and HenrikW

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
RNH and Hoffman have had the same offensive output their entire carrer. I would just keep the center

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So you are saying the player with the best 5 on 5 corsi in the playoffs was not earning his cheque. You don’t think there was another problem on that deeply flawed team? People who think points are everything have no clue about hockey and when they get arrogant about their tiny bit of hockey understanding it makes them look even worse.

Sure you can come back with only results matter. You’re seeing the results of good hockey this year. Eberle plays good hockey and they “dumped” him for a spare part.

Again I guess you missed the part earlier in the thread where the Oilers are paying Strome less money per point than Eberle. I like Eberle a lot, he's been a great fit for this team and the flaws that Oiler's fans complained about I don't see at all.

That being said, leading a team on 5 v 5 in corsi and only scoring 3 points means the team did do poorly. So poor that to say a player lead a team in Corsi where everybody did poorly is not much of a compliment. Eberle himself said in interviews that the atmosphere in Edmonton got to him and it took him awhile to gain his confidence when he came to the Isles. He needed a restart and that wasn't going to happen in Edmonton. Now they have a player they are paying less, and less per point as well. You accuse me of saying that only points matter, but you yourself are failing to realize that a player is only worth his production, not his talent level when he's been in the league more than three years. Eberle was regressing on that team, he needed a change of scenery. His value would have gotten even lower if he continued there.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Again I guess you missed the part earlier in the thread where the Oilers are paying Strome less money per point than Eberle. I like Eberle a lot, he's been a great fit for this team and the flaws that Oiler's fans complained about I don't see at all.

That being said, leading a team on 5 v 5 in corsi and only scoring 3 points means the team did do poorly. So poor that to say a player lead a team in Corsi where everybody did poorly is not much of a compliment. Eberle himself said in interviews that the atmosphere in Edmonton got to him and it took him awhile to gain his confidence when he came to the Isles. He needed a restart and that wasn't going to happen in Edmonton. Now they have a player they are paying less, and less per point as well. You accuse me of saying that only points matter, but you yourself are failing to realize that a player is only worth his production, not his talent level when he's been in the league more than three years. Eberle was regressing on that team, he needed a change of scenery. His value would have gotten even lower if he continued there.
I don’t think it’s accurate to judge players on a $/point basis. In that case trade Drysaddle now!

The 30 point player you got was pretty easy to find at any time. They 50+ point player isn’t easily available, that’s why much like a Drysaddle you pay a premium.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I have no problem being in the minority if I'm the one with the facts on my side.
Facts like this?

"In games where Connor McDavid doesn't get a point, the Edmonton Oilers have a record of 3-18-2. Three wins and twenty losses."

He gets credit for Oilers winning draft lottery when he wasnt even with the team? Because in 3 years since the team is no better, just has less assets and a worse cap situation

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
RNH + 1st (top 3 protected) for Hoff + Pageau.
Nuge, Strome and a 2nd for Hoffman and Pageau.

Hoffman - McDavid - Pulujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto?
Cagguila - Pageau - Aberg
??? - Khaira - Kassian

I'd do Ottawa's, but there are so many possible moving parts there that all we'd know after this trade are that Duchene/Nuge/Strome would be their top 3 C's and Stone is the 1 RW.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Facts like this?

"In games where Connor McDavid doesn't get a point, the Edmonton Oilers have a record of 3-18-2. Three wins and twenty losses."

He gets credit for Oilers winning draft lottery when he wasnt even with the team? Because in 3 years since the team is no better, just has less assets and a worse cap situation
|The flaw in that stat is the whole team runs through McDavid, and he gets the most minutes. So in games where McDavid doesn't score, chances are the whole team is misfiring. Besides, I never said that Chia has done a passable job. I'm just saying that the hyperbole around him as gone out of control, and it's based on earlier in the season when all his good moves went sour. Talbot was bad, Larsson was bad, Sekera was injured, and then was bad when he returned. I'm just saying that now, when those three have bounced back, it is time to update the perception of Chia and say that he's done bad moves but some key good moves as well. And btw, I never gave Chia any brownie points for getting McDavid or Draisaitl or Nurse, or Klefbom for that matter even though Chia signed him to that extension.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don’t think it’s accurate to judge players on a $/point basis. In that case trade Drysaddle now!

The 30 point player you got was pretty easy to find at any time. They 50+ point player isn’t easily available, that’s why much like a Drysaddle you pay a premium.

It's not accurate to judge anybody based on one thing, be it corsi/points/points per dollar etc. It's a big picture. It's easy to cherry pick things to make trades look good and bad. I still don't think the Eberle trade was that bad of a trade compared to the others when taking everything into account.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
|The flaw in that stat is the whole team runs through McDavid, and he gets the most minutes. So in games where McDavid doesn't score, chances are the whole team is misfiring. Besides, I never said that Chia has done a passable job. I'm just saying that the hyperbole around him as gone out of control, and it's based on earlier in the season when all his good moves went sour. Talbot was bad, Larsson was bad, Sekera was injured, and then was bad when he returned. I'm just saying that now, when those three have bounced back, it is time to update the perception of Chia and say that he's done bad moves but some key good moves as well. And btw, I never gave Chia any brownie points for getting McDavid or Draisaitl or Nurse, or Klefbom for that matter even though Chia signed him to that extension.
I agree with you chia has made some bad moves and some good moves no different then every other gm. Some of his deals hall for Larson had to be made and chia had to deal from a position of being a team not making the playoffs in ten years not exactly a strong point for making trades. He was handed a team past management ran into the ground and he has done an ok job getting us where we are now. He is starting to add a lot of depth something we were seriously lacking. The team he has assembled has the ability and should of made the playoffs. Will be interesting to see what the offseason brings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad