GDT: Oilers @ Blues 6pm Mt

Status
Not open for further replies.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Well I just finished 6 grad school exams in 7 days so IF I am able to stay awake ill tune into this one. Opportunity to watch full games is rare for me nowadays.

Definitely gonna be an L tonight. St Louis is a great team all around, we are not. Still will watch as always hoping for the W though. Just the life of an Edmonton Oilers fan I guess.

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
I thought Brossoit might have gotten a look tonight. Hopefully the team can play some good defense in front of Talbot and he can regain some confidence. Expecting a loss though... I will say 4-2 Blues

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I thought Brossoit might have gotten a look tonight. Hopefully the team can play some good defense in front of Talbot and he can regain some confidence. Expecting a loss though... I will say 4-2 Blues
I hope that if Talbot has a bad first 2 goals again that Todd doesn't just keep him in just cause.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Cause thats how he signed Talbot, and Kelfbom to contracts?

Klefbom was an RFA and should’ve probably been signed to a shorter and cheaper bridge deal. 4+ million for a guy who is currently playing like a bottom pair defenseman. Charelli is always banking on the future thinking all progression is linear when it rarely is. Same with Draisaitl, he’s making at least 1.5 million too much. Even with Talbot, although his current salary is probably on par with his current level of play, he was banking that Talbot would continue to play at a top 10 level or better. Throw in the Lucic and Russell overpayments and the terrible return on Eberle. Chiarelli is a lame duck GM. His only good acquisitions were the Talbot trade, Maroon trade and Hall trade. Even the Hall trade wasn’t a “win” for him as Hall is doing very well in Jersey, that was a neutral trade at best. I can’t wait until he’s turfed.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Cause thats how he signed Talbot, and Kelfbom to contracts?

If I remember correctly, the Klefbom contract discussions had already begun previously under MacT. And there was still a lot of inherited risk due to his injury history and limited games played. Talbot turned into a good contract, but again, he was relatively unproven at the time, and the number seemed a bit high at the time.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Klefbom was an RFA and should’ve probably been signed to a shorter and cheaper bridge deal. 4+ million for a guy who is currently playing like a bottom pair defenseman. Charelli is always banking on the future thinking all progression is linear when it rarely is. Same with Draisaitl, he’s making at least 1.5 million too much. Even with Talbot, although his current salary is probably on par with his current level of play, he was banking that Talbot would continue to play at a top 10 level or better. Throw in the Lucic and Russell overpayments and the terrible return on Eberle. Chiarelli is a lame duck GM. His only good acquisitions were the Talbot trade, Maroon trade and Hall trade. Even the Hall trade wasn’t a “win” for him as Hall is doing very well in Jersey, that was a neutral trade at best. I can’t wait until he’s turfed.

It would require several failed seasons before Chia is turfed. He's here for awhile yet.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It would require several failed seasons before Chia is turfed. He's here for awhile yet.

He's not Lowe or Mac T. He should not assume Katz cares about him any more than a pimple on his ass. He's not "one of the boys", he's a guy from Boston who's paid a lot of money to deliver results.

If he's so secure in his job, why is he hiding from the media. Go give a presser, if Nicholson/Katz have given you the "don't worry Peter, you're here next year no matter what happens" speech, it seems very odd to me that he's not willing to face the press.

Reactions: OilCountry93

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He's not Lowe or Mac T. He should not assume Katz cares about him any more than a pimple on his ass. He's not "one of the boys", he's a guy from Boston who's paid a lot of money to deliver results.

True, but despite this season's struggles, he did bring us to the second round of the playoffs last year (after years of missing the post season), and was nominated as the league's top GM. He also has a close relationship with Nicholson. I would be absolutely stunned if he was fired in the near future.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
True, but despite this season's struggles, he did bring us to the second round of the playoffs last year (after years of missing the post season), and was nominated as the league's top GM. He also has a close relationship with Nicholson. I would be absolutely stunned if he was fired in the near future.

Last year is a two sided coin for him, yes he gets that on his resume, BUT it also means much higher expectations this season. Really in the Katz era this is probably the first season where Katz is going to be furious about missing the playoffs.

Nicholson in the past has shown no hesitation to clean house either, IIRC Hockey Canada was razed pretty damn good after a very disappointing 2006 Olympics.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
If they actually show up to play which would be a miracle I do think they can compete with anyone. But we will see them stand around and get outworked like usual.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
In the last 11 years there have been 36 teams that have had 16 or fewer points after 20 games. Only one of those teams went on to make the playoffs.

But according to betting odds, We are still one of the top 5 or 6 contenders, to win the cup..
Checked a lot of sites, and most still have the OILERS right up there...
Why is that...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In the last 11 years there have been 36 teams that have had 16 or fewer points after 20 games. Only one of those teams went on to make the playoffs.

But according to betting odds, We are still one of the top 5 or 6 contenders, to win the cup..
Checked a lot of sites, and most still have the OILERS right up there...
Why is that...

Cause it's not about who they think will win the cup really. They make a lot of money on the people dumb enough to think they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad