OHL Trades 2017-18 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Don't care. If you know hockey you know every team wants these guys at the deadline.:amazed: 6'5" 218 pounds plus 11. Nothing wrong with this kid.

So you think Flint trades Mattinen at the deadline? No one said there is anything wrong with him. The majority consensus is that Flint overpaid.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
If Mattinen comes back for an OA year, the trade will look much, much better. Just costs a third, and he's the kind of body that could dominate as an OA, or bring back a decent return. I doubt Flint moves him at this year's deadline.

Adding the Ceci trade to the list now.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Mattinen was Flint's best Dman last night. Big strong kid with a bit of attitude in front of his goalie. Despite all the rhetoric on the value of the trade he still would command at least what London got at the deadline even if most think its too much. Once again these big stay at home Dmen are very valuable at the deadline and teams will over pay to get them. If a team has an excess of 2nds and 3rds and they want a certain player they go for it. Many on here said he wasn't worth what Flint paid with the slant that he wasn't skilled enough before. After watching him last night against the Rangers I would have liked to see him in a Ranger uni. He will play pro for the Leafs down the road and that is coming from a Bruin fan.

Last edited:

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Mattinen was Flint's best Dman last night. Big strong kid with a bit of attitude in front of his goalie. Despite all the rhetoric on the value of the trade he still would command at least what London got at the deadline even if most think its too much. Once again these big stay at home Dmen are very valuable at the deadline and teams will over pay to get them. If a team has an excess of 2nds and 3rds and they want a certain player they go for it. Many on here said he wasn't worth what Flint paid with the slant that he wasn't skilled enough before. After watching him last Knight against the Rangers I would have liked to see him in a Ranger uni. He will play pro for the Leafs down the road and that is coming from a Bruin fan.

Dude, one game and you can tell all this lol

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Couldn't care less that he scored. He's not worth 2 2nds and a 3rd.

Really? Flint is 2-0 on the road vs Kitchener and OS with grizzled 2nd season vet as other half of top pairing D. I think Mattinen has already proved his worth.
Honourable mention to Forrest, of course.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Two Surprises:

I see the "Love" of the Knights continues! London recruits and attracts this surplus talent based on the fact that the kids want a chance to pull on the jersey. It is the destination of choice for many reasons but certainly their ability to get talent to the NHL is second to no one. BUT if they get caught up in the numbers situation, London doesn't bury them in JRB or something. They trade them and allow them to continue to chase their dream. Why, because the Knights want kids to move on to the next level. Dale could easily coach in the NHL but he likes it at home and he likes to work with kids. That's why the kids, parents and agents continue to come to London, it's called asset management and no team does it better.

As for Mattinen I think the kid has skill and I'm surprised London traded him so quickly. The Mete situation that many in London knew was a possibility (sticking around the NHL) alone probably would have made me think twice. However Knights management are a little more experienced at this than I? Mattinen is NOT Mete but he is experienced and probably above average. I would have hung on until we knew more about who is coming back and who isn't. As for overpayment I think Flint paid the Deadline Price but got him for the whole season which is a better idea than trying to make a roster gel late in the season.

2 Cents anyway.......Good Luck to all Teams in 2017-18.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Really? Flint is 2-0 on the road vs Kitchener and OS with grizzled 2nd season vet as other half of top pairing D. I think Mattinen has already proved his worth.
Honourable mention to Forrest, of course.

So 2 games prove your worth? That's along the lines of a baseball player having a good 4 game series.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think Mattinen has played more than 2 games in this league. Flint knew what they were getting. A huge steady stay at home Dman. Valuable asset come the play offs. You can't just ignore the rest of his career in the league.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Mattinen was Flint's best Dman last night. Big strong kid with a bit of attitude in front of his goalie. Despite all the rhetoric on the value of the trade he still would command at least what London got at the deadline even if most think its too much. Once again these big stay at home Dmen are very valuable at the deadline and teams will over pay to get them. If a team has an excess of 2nds and 3rds and they want a certain player they go for it. Many on here said he wasn't worth what Flint paid with the slant that he wasn't skilled enough before. After watching him last Knight against the Rangers I would have liked to see him in a Ranger uni. He will play pro for the Leafs down the road and that is coming from a Bruin fan.

with Petes matt timms down with ankle for a few months and them not happy with Svoboda they could swing this one as an OA perhaps...wishing but they need help fast

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The prices paid is usually what most fans consider overpaying but....those prices are established from past deals.
The trick is knowing when to buy but more importantly is knowing when to pull the trigger to sell. Of course, it all depends on
the GMs job security and owners willingness to maybe miss some playoff dates. But usually those traded away picks can be recovered with some willingness and backbone!

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Petes obtain Osmanski from Missy for 2 4ths 18' and 20' very good deal for Petes considering what Flint had to pay in 2 2nds for guy very similar 23pts for Mattinen and 18pts for Osmanski both big steady dmen

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Petes obtain Osmanski from Missy for 2 4ths 18' and 20' very good deal for Petes considering what Flint had to pay in 2 2nds for guy very similar 23pts for Mattinen and 18pts for Osmanski both big steady dmen

Both are stay at home D-men so how many points they get couldn't possibly say less about their respective games. That's like saying Hunter Jones is better than DiPietro because Jones has 1 assist and DiPietro has 0

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Both are stay at home D-men so how many points they get couldn't possibly say less about their respective games. That's like saying Hunter Jones is better than DiPietro because Jones has 1 assist and DiPietro has 0
i am just guessing here but i think you totally missed the point with his stats. and your comparison of goalie points is ridiculous. he isnt saying that. i think his point is that both guys are true stay at home guys. zero production offensively. its not like mattinen cost more because he had like 30 points a season which by the way stay at home defenders can and do get. Kurtis Macdermid was a stay at home guy - still managed 40 pts one year. Brandon Crawley was a stay at home guy and got 27 points. You can be a stay at home type bigger defender and get points. I think his point was simply that - neither offer offense - so they are similar to compare.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

huh? pts and their game style says they are similar players thats all....if you compared jones to dipeitro's save % and their style thats makes sense and its relevant. So do you think that the deal the petes made was decent compared to the flint deal or not because that was my point
i am just guessing here but i think you totally missed the point with his stats. and your comparison of goalie points is ridiculous. he isnt saying that. i think his point is that both guys are true stay at home guys. zero production offensively. its not like mattinen cost more because he had like 30 points a season which by the way stay at home defenders can and do get. Kurtis Macdermid was a stay at home guy - still managed 40 pts one year. Brandon Crawley was a stay at home guy and got 27 points. You can be a stay at home type bigger defender and get points. I think his point was simply that - neither offer offense - so they are similar to compare.

haha thanks otterguy thats all i was sayin i was totally lost with the goalie pt thing haha if he had said save % with style that makes sense. i just think that the petes did well in the deal is all and wondered if anyone else thought so. cheers fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad