OHL Trades 2017-18 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If you look at those players mentioned like Jamieson/Valentini/Mattinen. There's one person responsible for all those trades Barclay Branch. He's been a huge reason why the Knights have been able to pawn players off for high picks. Valentini has had a pedestrian career to date. Is there another organization that sells off players that have proven less for more?

How about that Herbst trade?

The thing is when these guys sign with the Knights they tell you everything you want to hear. You're the new flavor of the month until you aren't.

What was wrong with the Herbst trade? He was a pretty highly touted goalie before the knee surgery.

Ottawa gave up a 2nd for him, used him for two seasons, then moved him for a 4th. Seems reasonable.

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Everyone overpays for players at times. It's based on the market. That's it. Available defenders are limited and teams will have to pay to add experience, whether it's high end or not.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What was wrong with the Herbst trade? He was a pretty highly touted goalie before the knee surgery.

Ottawa gave up a 2nd for him, used him for two seasons, then moved him for a 4th. Seems reasonable.

I guess your idea of reasonable is different than others.

Herbst was dealt for a 2nd and conditional 4th.

Herbst didn't play at all as you mentioned due to knee surgery in his rookie year. The following year he put up pedestrian numbers in Jr B and wasn't strong with London albeit a small sample size.

Look at how he performed for Ottawa and tell me if that 2nd rounder was worth it. Remember in the form of draft picks the 2nd rounder is the most valuable currency. They moved Herbst in January and got a 2nd rounder for him 4 months from that point.

Ottawa paid a 2nd for him and conditional 4th and ended up getting a 4th back that's not a good use of resources.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
The biggest problem with the Mattinen trade is not what the Firebirds paid for Mattinen. It's that they really paid all those high picks for the difference between Samuel Duchesne and Mattinen. The Firebirds' desperate need for a D-man was only created by the fact that they released Duchesne before training camp, getting nothing in return.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If you look at those players mentioned like Jamieson/Valentini/Mattinen. There's one person responsible for all those trades Barclay Branch. He's been a huge reason why the Knights have been able to pawn players off for high picks. Valentini has had a pedestrian career to date. Is there another organization that sells off players that have proven less for more?

How about that Herbst trade?

The thing is when these guys sign with the Knights they tell you everything you want to hear. You're the new flavor of the month until you aren't.

Do you really think there's a conspiracy going on w/Barclay Branch, the Knights management and David Branch?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Any idea where Raaymakkers may end up if/when he's traded?

A team who has a spot open for a goalie who wants to be the starter? London could be an option as they are also great at developing goalies. Plus they could send back Tyler Johnson (as a part of the trade) who'd be the perfect back-up for Villalta. I would have thought Owen Sound would be an option but they took a safer option in Bowman. Hamilton depending on how much faith they have in Fulcher which was not a lot last season when they brought in Carty. Small chance he goes to Flint or North Bay.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Ottawa could be in the mix for Raaymakers too.. Tremblay has no business being in the OHL. And Hamilton I was also thinking.. no way Staios/Gruden will risk their jobs keeping Ceci or Donofrio as the backup goaltender for Fulcher, as the Bulldogs are aiming for a Memorial Cup this season (remember, they nearly won the host, but were disqualified due to a unsuitable arena that needs major renos or replacement).

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
A team who has a spot open for a goalie who wants to be the starter? London could be an option as they are also great at developing goalies. Plus they could send back Tyler Johnson (as a part of the trade) who'd be the perfect back-up for Villalta.

I would have thought Owen Sound would be an option but they took a safer option in Bowman.

DeGray put an offer out for Raaymakers early in camp, SSM weren't interested in trading with OS.
Maybe they didn't relish the idea of Raaymakers eliminating them in spring 2018 ( in an Attack uny)

Hamilton depending on how much faith they have in Fulcher which was not a lot last season when they brought in Carty. Small chance he goes to Flint or North Bay.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
quote: Ottawa could be in the mix for Raaymakers too.. Tremblay has no business being in the OHL. And Hamilton I was also thinking.. no way Staios/Gruden will risk their jobs keeping Ceci or Donofrio as the backup goaltender for Fulcher, as the Bulldogs are aiming for a Memorial Cup this season (remember, they nearly won the host, but were disqualified due to a unsuitable arena that needs major renos or replacement).

Ottawa is two-three years away from making any noise so why spend the assets to get Raymakers. Hamilton has anointed Fulcher their #1, bringing in Raymakers will cause a controversy . I could see him in London though if they get some guys returned and feel they could make a run.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think he makes a lot of sense in North Bay. The Sime/Woroniuk tandem looks pretty shaky. Raaymakers would be a decent pickup for them at 19. There's a good chance he's available next year as well so he could provide some stability at the position and he could also potentially net the Troops some assets later on as a playoff rental.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
DeGray put an offer out for Raaymakers early in camp, SSM weren't interested in trading with OS.
Maybe they didn't relish the idea of Raaymakers eliminating them in spring 2018 ( in an Attack uny)

This is really interesting. I'd be interested in hearing about other cases where GMs refused to deal with certain teams even for fair value. Might teach us a bit more about asset movement in the OHL.

Added Fergus to the list (or will be shortly).

EDIT: Can't find information on the Fergus trade conditions, so if anyone knows them, please pass them along!

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Personally I think the price paid for Mattinen was fair. He is more of a stay at home type of D and they can be a hot commodity come play offs and hard to pry away from teams that have them.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Personally I think the price paid for Mattinen was fair. He is more of a stay at home type of D and they can be a hot commodity come play offs and hard to pry away from teams that have them.

Lmao, you must be the only one then.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Lmao, you must be the only one then.

He's also an NHL pick. That typically bodes well for return value... Combined with being big, physical, defensively responsible and having a huge shot.

Flint needed someone to put with Gordeev on the top pairing. The future is definitely not now, but Mattinen ensures they at least have one pairing which can eat up a ton of minutes on the PP, PK and ES until guys like Busby (who should still get a ton of time), Pilon, Gretz, etc. are ready to take over.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Don't care. If you know hockey you know every team wants these guys at the deadline.:amazed: 6'5" 218 pounds plus 11. Nothing wrong with this kid.

Agreed nothing wrong with this kid...except not worth 2 seconds/2 thirds. Nobody said he was not a quality player. Just that some teams are absurdly overpaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad