Offseason Thread vol. XII - "Stop filling thread with spam posts" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lazar has everything but playmaking and hands. Not that they are bad. If he can improve on those enough and develops properly, I think he can be a 60-70 point player. So I'd say thats his potential.

I consider ceiling and potential the same.

Yup, if he improves playmaking/hands, we have another Toews on our hands.

I see his potential more like Parise though. Kudos to Derriko for comparison. Really spot on.

Speedy, shot first guys who are really smart, tenacious and defensively strong players. 30/30 with strong leadership abilities.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
How about a proven 30-40 goal scorer. I'd think we were going after one of those beauties.

Like who? We got Ryan, Kane is far from a proven 30 goal scorer - let alone 40 - and unless you're willing to pony up insane amounts of assets for Pavelski, Skinner, Pacioretty (Lazar + 1st +) or Sharp you simply aren't going to get that type of player through trade or likely even free agency. The easiest way to acquire a 30-40 goal guy is through the draft, and the team would be smarter to hedge their bets on Zibanejad, Lazar, Puempel, our 2015 1st and maybe even Stone than to trade tons of assets for a high priced guy who isn't available if not for massive overpayment. I'd much rather ship out the Wiercicoch/Prince/Greening type assets for a good depth guy who can score 15+ goals - and who knows, maybe he'll unexpectedly score 25 like MacArthur did.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
another player like berglund would be awesome. i'm not sure what all of you are talking about. you only need two or three 30-goal scorers to be successful. we have turris (i think he has 30 goals in him) and ryan currently.

the kings had none (though they had two players that were close). bruins had two. chicago had two, with two more close, but only one other player with 20 goals after those players.

turris and ryan hit around 30 goals. macarthur, berglund, michalek, chiasson, zibby, legwand, and karlsson all have a shot at cracking 20 goals. that's amazing scoring depth.

macarthur - turris- ryan
berglund - zibby - chiasson
michalek - legwand - stone

that's a very, very deep top nine.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
even without berglund stone has a chance at 20 too so berglund becomes redundant. and he's kinda slow.

im only for getting someone like that if hoffman plays terribly. like conacher bad. if not, let the kids play.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
A proven 20 goal scorer only sets up for mediocrity. We need top end talent. A guy who can score 25+ while being a big factor in other areas of the game.

Berglund is a proven 20 goal scorer who hasn't hit the mark in 4 years. While being very inconsistent.

Unless we can get him for a 2nd+small prospect, why bother?

This team is set up for mediocrity whether you like it or not. Melnyk's budget will never allow this team to become a contender. The best we can hope for is making the playoffs in most seasons, with the odd playoff run that will stop short before the final. If we were smart we'd be looking at other examples of budget teams around the league and try to model ourselves after the moderately successful ones - Arizona and Nashville. Two teams built on hard work and two-way play. Two teams that spend big on defense and goaltending. Two teams that were perennial playoff teams until recently, because they focused on winning 45 games 2-1 and 3-2 instead of winning 40 games 4-2 and 5-3. If this team is serious about being a playoff team, despite spending less than every other team trying to make the playoffs, we have to start molding this team into a hard working two-way team that can grind out wins, because we will never be able to go toe-to-toe with the best offensive teams in the league that spend to the cap and can afford to ice much more talented players.

Trading Spezza and signing Legwand is a step in the right direction. Trading for a versatile 6'4 two-way forward in Berglund would be another.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We can draft a better player than Berglund with a 2nd.

Just look at the re-signing thread. Blues fans were not thrilled.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
To all my advanced stats people with way more knowledge than me, what do you make of us having the best fenwick for in the last two seasons? I mean it's cool that we were #1 last season but I was shocked we were #1 in the lockout season, but had such a slow shot % that we didn't convert many. So does that mean our players got unlucky? Couldn't finish? Didn't have enough skill? Shot from far out skewing the stats? I'm really curious if this is just an anomaly or something to look forward to.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
To all my advanced stats people with way more knowledge than me, what do you make of us having the best fenwick for in the last two seasons? I mean it's cool that we were #1 last season but I was shocked we were #1 in the lockout season, but had such a slow shot % that we didn't convert many. So does that mean our players got unlucky? Couldn't finish? Didn't have enough skill? Shot from far out skewing the stats? I'm really curious if this is just an anomaly or something to look forward to.

This is probably a better question for someone who watches the games rather than numbers people.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It's not really surprising, we play a very uptempo game and trade a lot of chances (we're also top 5 in Fenwick against per 60 and have the most shots for per 60).

Fenwick for really doesn't say much on it's own, this is far from an indication that we dominate possession.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Yes.

Partly luck, but also partly due to the kinds of players taking those shots. When you play the GSN line as much as we did last year, that's going to skew your shooting percentage quite a bit. Huge difference between skill guys picking open spots, and grinders shooting it into the crest.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Bad hands. A lot of guys with chances just shooting at the net, not picking an open hole. Part of it is skill, part of it inexperience.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yes.

Partly luck, but also partly due to the kinds of players taking those shots. When you play the GSN line as much as we did last year, that's going to skew your shooting percentage quite a bit. Huge difference between skill guys picking open spots, and grinders shooting it into the crest.

It's pretty difficult to find less productive players than Colin Greening that get the amount of ice time he does. He compares offensively to the likes of Boyd Gordon, Nate Thompson, Stephen Gionta, Jay Beagle, Derek Dorsett, and Trevor Lewis. Sad thing is, most of those players actually contribute in other areas of the game unlike Greening. He's one of the most replaceable players in the NHL and costs twice as much as a better replacement player.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Imo we played too many guys that dont have the scoring touch or were adjusting to the NHL Neil, Kassain, Greening, Smith, Condra, Grant basically are whole bottom 6 doesnt know at any level how to be elite scorers. Then you have guys like Stone, Pageau, Hoffman and DaCosta that were all adjusting to a new league and the intensity of the NHL. Thats 10 players in our forward core that i wouldnt have counted on the finish

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We didn't have much options to use.

Michalek-Spezza-Conacher or whoever were playing terribly and MacLean wanted to send a message to them so he started using GSN line aside from Turris line.

We didn't have a 3rd line for most of the season.

Next year we're gonna have so much more weapons and different looks. Depth is gonna be beautiful thing.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Imo we played too many guys that dont have the scoring touch or were adjusting to the NHL Neil, Kassain, Greening, Smith, Condra, Grant basically are whole bottom 6 doesnt know at any level how to be elite scorers. Then you have guys like Stone, Pageau, Hoffman and DaCosta that were all adjusting to a new league and the intensity of the NHL. Thats 10 players in our forward core that i wouldnt have counted on the finish

This is fair. Hopefully Stone and Hoffman get some better minutes and are adjusted to give us some extra punch. Its not out of the question, and fairly plausible.

We didn't have much options to use.

Michalek-Spezza-Conacher or whoever were playing terribly and MacLean wanted to send a message to them so he started using GSN line aside from Turris line.

We didn't have a 3rd line for most of the season.

Next year we're gonna have so much more weapons and different looks. Depth is gonna be beautiful thing.

Our depth looks nice, I agree. I'm far more worried about finding a functioning second line, first and second PP units and Turris continuing to up his scoring totals. Lines 3-4 should be good.

Michalek also had a pretty terrible year that I don't think is repeatable. He was shooting far less and always looking for a pass, if he just changed that he'd be a 20 goal 2nd line guy with a good two way game. If he can return to even 80% of his form in his previous years with us, that's a big boost as well.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is fair. Hopefully Stone and Hoffman get some better minutes and are adjusted to give us some extra punch. Its not out of the question, and fairly plausible.

Our depth looks nice, I agree. I'm far more worried about finding a functioning second line, first and second PP units and Turris continuing to up his scoring totals. Lines 3-4 should be good.

Michalek also had a pretty terrible year that I don't think is repeatable. He was shooting far less and always looking for a pass, if he just changed that he'd be a 20 goal 2nd line guy with a good two way game. If he can return to even 80% of his form in his previous years with us, that's a big boost as well.

Yes, that 2nd line is the only real question mark. It could hinder our depth to actually be an area of weakness because we'll just be rotating players to that 2nd line position hoping someone steps up and creating holes in other areas while disturbing chemistry or what-not. That's why I think Sens pursuing another option badly.

Stone looked very, very good with Turris line. Put Zibanejad inbetween Ryan and Ladd(or whoever) and you got 2 very, very good lines. I expect a lot from Stone.

It's true we may not have any elite center weapons but when you have a generational offensive weapon like Karlsson, it's not as big a worry to have/need top production from your centers.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Aren't we also top five in the league in missed shots? There might be a part of the answer

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I find it funny that when a sens blog like senschirp does an article about something in a down period (i.e. Bobby Ryan yesterday), not to soon after the oilers fan from las vegas on hockeybuzz does an article on the same topic....

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With Nashville signing Ribeiro and Roy today that leaves them with 15 NHL forwards signed. I wonder if they'd be open to moving Colin Wilson. The team has been openly disappointed with his progress this past season. I could see them moving him for futures with Ribeiro and Roy replacing his offensive contributions.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Wilson - Legwand - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson

Is a great top 9.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We can draft a better player than Berglund with a 2nd.

Just look at the re-signing thread. Blues fans were not thrilled.

the odds are that we won't

I would say Berglund is close to what Silfverberg will become

The Fuhr*

That's the scrimmage from Buffalo development camp
29y4agy.jpg

That fan base has bought the rebuild hype... Will be a cap team with a fan base that dedicated

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Kirikk Kabanov on unconditional waivers with the Isles... turns out everyone was right when he slid from being a surefire top-5 pick to an unceremonious 3rd rounder? What a fall.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Buffalo has always been a great fanbase. Without feeding into Fuhr's cynicism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad