Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
#3C is a glaring hole at the moment. Dzingel could fill the bill. Or Lou trading one of the D for a #3C is also an option.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
1. Kadri is only a third line center because TOR has Matthews and Tavares. He's a 2nd line center, and a good one.
2. Barrie is not good defensively at all.

I like the trade from COL's perspective, but it seems I'm the only one.
I did too. Sounded like Barrie wasn't sticking around and Colorado has top two centers locked in at a very reasonable price for the next three years.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
1. Kadri is only a third line center because TOR has Matthews and Tavares. He's a 2nd line center, and a good one.

I'm with you dano, I think Colorado killed this trade. They get a #2C for 3 years at only $4.5M cap hit, a need filled and Kadri is a quality player when he's not being a complete dumbass.

Barrie is a 4th forward, the guy is pretty bad defensively to a defense group that is pretty bad defensively. He'll put up points and he'll price himself off that team for the next season so he's essentially a rental.

I hate Toronto so there is some bias there, but this trade makes them even softer and worse defensively. Muzzin, Ceci, and Barrie are pending UFA's so they could all walk since their salary cap is the most top heavy in the NHL after Marner signs.

Dubas has turned them into a turbo charged version of Doug Weight's Isles. Andersen better be Vezina worthy to save their bacon. I see a lot of 6-4 games in their future. Trying to outscore your problems will catch up to them.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
#3C is a glaring hole at the moment. Dzingel could fill the bill. Or Lou trading one of the D for a #3C is also an option.
If we trade a roster player or one of our blue chip prospects I hope it is a for a top 6 forward who can put pucks in the net. Bottom 6 can be filled out differently. Hell I wouldn't mind going dumpster diving and taking a flier on a depth 4th liner or two (cue Lou is Snow-esque in 3... 2...)

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I personally think Ehlers would tear it up on Barzals wing.

I'd try to swing a deal around Leddy, even if we have to add a 1st rounder next year.

Ehlers-Barzal-Eberle

Either Ehlers or Connor would be a fantastic add. I wanted Ehlers over MDC in the 2014 NHL draft so this would help rectify that misstep.

When Barzal and Connor slipped, I was salivating when the Isles traded up to nab Barzal. Then I got greedy and was thinking maybe they could also go up and get Connor as well, lol.

I would also be willing to trade Leddy and a first rounder for Ehlers, because Ehlers is signed for the next six years at what is looking like a reasonable $6 million AAV these days. Although I would prefer to get back the Jets second rounder in the trade, even if the cost is also including one of the AHL defensemen (not Aho but one of the next tier). That Jets defense is definitely in transition and they could probably use another NHL-ready prospect so they have as many cost-controlled players as possible.

If we are talking Connor, I would offer Leddy, a first rounder and probably Bellows. I am not sure if that gets it done, but I like Connor that much and would be willing to discuss any prospect not named Dobson or Wahlstrom. Although I bet they would want Wahlstrom.

A Jets-Isles trade seems like a natural fit based on their roster comps. But in the past, Chevy seems like he has been very stubborn, then apparently Gorton catches him while he is drunk and he sells low on Trouba.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The forward free agent market is just awful the next two seasons. You have to wonder if they’re gonna push hard to get Barzal signed soon after the season ends next spring because he’d be a massive offer sheet candidate due to the lousy market. Maybe the looming lockout would dampen it a bit but I would still be worried if I was them. Less so about Pulock and Toews.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Kadri's a very good two way third line center that plays with a good chip on his shoulder- that's it! We've been hearing for years how underrated he is, he's got to be the most overrated underrated player ever;). Last year he had 44 points and Kerfoot had 42. I also disagree with you about Barrie's defense but even that doesn't matter- he had 59 points last year and is very good moving the puck. How is this a good trade for Colorado particularly when you consider they're paying half of Barrie's salary?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I know Ehlers makes sense for us but I'm looking at Winnipeg right now and RD seems to be a bigger issue over there than LD. I guess they could use Leddy but it doesn't seem like a priority for them. Feels like they would want Pulock.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011

This is the reality people. Don't shit on Lou or Snow.
This team has been a North American joke for 30 years.
If we weren't fans, we wouldn't sign here either.

Thinks will only change when;

A) The new arena I'd done.
B) Winning is consistent

The good news is we're almost there...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

This is the reality people. Don't **** on Lou or Snow.

B) Winning is consistent

I think anytime you have the Rags competing with us for same guy we won’t get him or certainly 90-10 we lose out on him. I can’t recall the last time we were both in on same big FA or if it has ever occurred before

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

B) Winning is consistent

THIS. 100% THIS.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
So if the perception around the Islanders has not changed, exactly what is Lou going to do. Enough so, that I'm just supposed to sit here and trust hell figure it out. If players dont want to play here despite Lou and Trotz proving a lot last year, I sincerely doubt there will be anything on the horizon that changes before the season.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Anybody else see that Gusev has ties with Sorokin(CSKA Teammates). Maybe Varlamov could be the linchpin for both here. Maybe get Cody Eakin too.

Not teammates - Gusev played for SKA St. Petersburg and Sorokin CSKA Moscow

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
So if the perception around the Islanders has not changed, exactly what is Lou going to do. Enough so, that I'm just supposed to sit here and trust hell figure it out. If players dont want to play here despite Lou and Trotz proving a lot last year, I sincerely doubt there will be anything on the horizon that changes before the season.

No. You're supposed to rant and rave about Lou on the internet. Maybe put up a billboard. That'll show 'em. Keep fighting the good fight comrade.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Once players get here, they like it and want to stay. So Lou needs to draft them and trade for them.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Draft well, develop from within, and make an occasional trade. Don’t try to be trader Phil like Jarmo Kekkalainen was just to make the playoffs and have everybody walk the same day. It sucks but that’s the reality here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If we trade a roster player or one of our blue chip prospects I hope it is a for a top 6 forward who can put pucks in the net. Bottom 6 can be filled out differently. Hell I wouldn't mind going dumpster diving and taking a flier on a depth 4th liner or two (cue Lou is Snow-esque in 3... 2...)
I'm willing to do an old fashion hockey trade here. Isles strength is D. Other than Pulock, Toews, and Dobson. I would trade any other D man to get a quality C back Could be Wilde to Mayfield, to Leddy. We would be looking at teams with a log jam at C. I kind of liked C Dvorak in Arizona. But fit wise am unsure? But that is the kind of deal I would be open to.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm with you dano, I think Colorado killed this trade. They get a #2C for 3 years at only $4.5M cap hit, a need filled and Kadri is a quality player when he's not being a complete dumbass.

Barrie is a 4th forward, the guy is pretty bad defensively to a defense group that is pretty bad defensively. He'll put up points and he'll price himself off that team for the next season so he's essentially a rental.

I hate Toronto so there is some bias there, but this trade makes them even softer and worse defensively. Muzzin, Ceci, and Barrie are pending UFA's so they could all walk since their salary cap is the most top heavy in the NHL after Marner signs.

Dubas has turned them into a turbo charged version of Doug Weight's Isles. Andersen better be Vezina worthy to save their bacon. I see a lot of 6-4 games in their future. Trying to outscore your problems will catch up to them.

The Toronto media is kissing up by saying it was a good trade PW. Which is a joke. They gave up 3 years of a cost controlled player for 1 year of Barrie, and Kerfoot. Another smurf that Dumbass seems intent on building a team as. Feather soft. lol

What is also forgotten is the Avs got Rosen the Marlies Best D last year, and a 3rd rd pick. This was a home run trade for the Avs. People are smoking or puffing the wrong pipe. Dumbass was duped as usual.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Agree with an earlier post about Gardiner's landing spot is key to a Leddy trade.

Jets, Oilers, and Canadiens have the biggest need on the LH side

I don't believe Connor is going anywhere and unfortunately If they part with Ehlers they may look to make a hockey trade a comparable younger player with similar term.

I want to revisit a Laine proposal from Chapin and an add -
Leddy, Wahlstrom, and another piece (pick/prospect) or two (Dal Colle?) for a signed Laine.

OS Laine - 5 year deal at 9 Aav?

Last edited:
Reactions: doublechili

Medvescak

Kid Calder
Mar 22, 2018

not the only one

Reactions: dano16

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County

B) Winning is consistent

Facts, I was thinking about this the other day.

I can't blame any player for not wanting to play in 2 arenas, not one bit. Especially commuting to Barclay Center - why would anyone want to willingly do that to themselves?

Belmont can't get here soon enough! LGI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad