Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt III

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am starting to think that Lou, similarly to Snow never has a backup plan. We cannot say that he has not tried to get the biggest free agent on the market each of the last two years, this was not a marketing ploy, he legitimately tried to get Tavares and Panarin here. The problem is he failed both times, for whatever reason does not matter, but he failed in the pursuit. The answer to that happening is not just to say oh well I guess there is always next year. You have to be creative and find other ways. Sometimes maybe two 6 million dollar players might even be better than one 12 million dollar player. But either way, you have to find other ways to improve the team. As others have said on here, this is not a situation where there have been no trades around the league. There has even been an offersheet, not to mention us being the only NHL team not to make a trade in the last 12 months. Lou has to show he has a pulse and a plan, rather than just going home for the summer after he doesnt get the first target. I am not convinced he can do this. Hopefully I am wrong.

With respect to the Tavares situation, Lou was hired on May 22 and assumed the GM role on June 5. There was nothing he really could do other than try to get him to sign. And, based on what has leaked out, it sounds like if Tavares did sign, he was close to landing Patches and Grubauer using some combination of the two firsts and two seconds the Isles had in the draft.

However, Once Tavares left, he opted to keep the draft picks (which netted Dobson, Wahlstrom, Wilde and Ish), and make short-term moves to bring in some vets, change the culture and afford an evaluation year. That plan got the Isles to the second round.

He went hard after Panarin. When that fell through he brought back Lee and now he should be looking to add at least one more top-6 forward and a bottom-6 center. There is still time to get it done.

Reactions: PK Cronin and MJF

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
And there's something to say for his love of Long Island! He's on his way to becoming anointed into Islanders royalty ala Nystrom and Gillies.

Nice.

You know, I get a good feeling about Lee. Doubt that we will ever question his work ethic, even if he were unhappy about something. The guy is a leader.

We have great goalie coaches, and could use the best skating coach, too. Turn him into a gazelle on skates, and we will all be smiling. :D

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm going to say this about the Isles. Top to bottom they have a really good team for the cap era(even though they are missing the 3C). The issue as to why you don't see Lou swinging trades all over the place is because the foundation has been built. He needs the home run hitters up top and those are the hardest players to get.

1 more guy on this team that puts up 35 goals 50 assists makes this team a Stanley cup threat.

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
That's way too much for Ehlers or Connor! Leddy and a third round pick!!

It's interesting that Gardiner is unsigned, and that's bad news for NYI. Until the value on him is established, the value of Nick Leddy is in limbo. While they're pretty similar players, Gardiner costs only money and no assets, and is better on the PP.

Consider how much it might cost to trade for one of the Jets' scoring wingers - Connors or Ehlers. IMO Leddy would only constitute *half* the package. There would have to be a really significant add. Like maybe Leddy + Wahlstrom, or Leddy + Mayfield + 2020 2nd.

I don't know if that's something the Jets would be interested in, but they're pretty imbalanced. They've got 2 good defensemen (Morrissey and Byuglien). Poolman looks like the real deal (under the radar guy not unlike our Toews), but there are questions about his shoulders. The rest of them - Kulikov, Pionk, Baulieu - are depth guys at best. We've seen them all in their Eastern Conference days.

(BTW this is in relation to the idea that WPG may have trouble signing their RFA wingers. I think the trade route is better than the RFA route with the offer-sheet the unspoken threat.)

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You’re both vastly underrating Connor/Ehlers and overrating Dal Colle/Ho-Sang.

The former are established top six forwards and the latter were drafted 5 years ago and neither are full time NHLers.

Connor/Ehlers would instantly become the team’s second best forward.

It's Leddy and Dal Colle together, in a sign and trade, not Dal Colle or Ho-Sang by themselves. Look at what Winnipeg's defense has become after Myers and Trouba and it's not a Cup winning group. How many Top 4 defenders who have played Top line minutes are floating around out there to trade for? Would you rather have Gardner at $7 million or Leddy at $5.5? Gardner's defensive liabilities are well beyond Leddy's.

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Totally agree, my only qualm about this team in the "cap era" is we have done virtually ZERO cap management thus far. We all hate the Leafs but I gotta give it to Dubas for what he accomplished over the last week. We've done nothing thus far in terms of contracts we could do without- Clutter, Leo, Ladd, Hickey, Leddy and I'll even throw in Greiss who would yield more now than he ever did. I fully realize Lou may have something in the works but I was hoping for a little more cap management.

I'm going to say this about the Isles. Top to bottom they have a really good team for the cap era(even though they are missing the 3C). The issue as to why you don't see Lou swinging trades all over the place is because the foundation has been built. He needs the home run hitters up top and those are the hardest players to get.

1 more guy on this team that puts up 35 goals 50 assists makes this team a Stanley cup threat.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Could you imagine either skating with Barzal?! I mean, jeez. Also, Connor triggers from the right half wall. Would fill our most obvious need on the PP.

Connor is a Barzal-level player in my opinion. Barzal being a center is a setup guy, while Connor being a winger is a trigger man, but same draft and both have had two very impressive seasons in the NHL already.

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I know nothing about this Gusev but he seems like a perfect gamble right now. It seems he only wants two years at $4M. the risk reward factor is strongly in our favour with a contract like that!

FWIW, Graziano said the Islanders were in on Gusev I believe.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Having time to reflect, I think I would rather have Gusev, Laine, Ehlers, or Conner at half the price of Panarin.

Or even better, two of them for the same price as Panarin.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Anybody else see that Gusev has ties with Sorokin(CSKA Teammates). Maybe Varlamov could be the linchpin for both here. Maybe get Cody Eakin too.

Reactions: dood

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's Leddy and Dal Colle together, in a sign and trade, not Dal Colle or Ho-Sang by themselves. Look at what Winnipeg's defense has become after Myers and Trouba and it's not a Cup winning group. How many Top 4 defenders who have played Top line minutes are floating around out there to trade for? Would you rather have Gardner at $7 million or Leddy at $5.5? Gardner's defensive liabilities are well beyond Leddy's.

Dal Colle/Ho-Sang don’t hold value, period.

And 3 years of Leddy (who’s kinda settled in as a second pairing/second PP guy) is not worth a 22-23 year old 30 goal scorer/top line forward.

I’m not saying Leddy + Wahlstrom = Connor/Ehlers but it’s closer than Leddy + Dal Colle/Ho-Sang.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I know nothing about this Gusev but he seems like a perfect gamble right now. It seems he only wants two years at $4M. the risk reward factor is strongly in our favour with a contract like that!

If Gusev is the play (which I agree is a calculated gamble), they NEED to also acquire a shooter (Zucker, etc.) in an additional deal.

They cannot hedge their bets on someone who’s never played an NHL game. Plus, based on Youtube highlights Gusev is closer to Barzal in the sense that he likes to have the puck on his stick and create plays, not necessarily rip it any chance he gets.

If I were Lou, I’d consider taking on Eakin AND Reaves to get Gusev for dirt cheap. Eakin would be a nice 3C and Reaves can be waived for all I care. Maybe Reaves can be insurance for Clutterbuck and/or potentially push Johnston further down the depth chart, but that would give Vegas much need cap relief for minimal risk on the Islanders’ side of things.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

Why do you think we are all so frustrated and why I think Panarin is an idiot. Panarin on this team makes us a Stanley cup threat. Panarin on the Rags maybe gets them in a battle for the 8th spot and then probably miss the cut by 5-10 points. Stupidest decision I have seen a player make. Tavares at least went to his home, but what the hell connection does a russian like Panarin have to the Rags that this was his "dream?" Give me a break. It is not even like the Rags have this history of russian players. I could see like the Red Wings as an example who had many legendary Russian players. But it is absurd that Panarin is acting like he grew up with the dream of playing for the Rags.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Sign me up for the Gusev bandwagon, he would be a nice risk to take on and the cost should be pretty low (both trade assets and dollar amount). I still think Dzingel would be a really nice fit as well.

Reactions: dood

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Why do you think we are all so frustrated and why I think Panarin is an idiot. Panarin on this team makes us a Stanley cup threat. Panarin on the Rags maybe gets them in a battle for the 8th spot and then probably miss the cut by 5-10 points. Stupidest decision I have seen a player make. Tavares at least went to his home, but what the hell connection does a russian like Panarin have to the Rags that this was his "dream?" Give me a break. It is not even like the Rags have this history of russian players. I could see like the Red Wings as an example who had many legendary Russian players. But it is absurd that Panarin is acting like he grew up with the dream of playing for the Rags.

Oh I know. It's really an odd marriage. He's going to waste half his contract just trying to get into the playoffs.

All that tells me is that Panarin is just chasing the money and not interested in winning a championship.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
With respect to the Tavares situation, Lou was hired on May 22 and assumed the GM role on June 5. There was nothing he really could do other than try to get him to sign. And, based on what has leaked out, it sounds like if Tavares did sign, he was close to landing Patches and Grubauer using some combination of the two firsts and two seconds the Isles had in the draft.

However, Once Tavares left, he opted to keep the draft picks (which netted Dobson, Wahlstrom, Wilde and Ish), and make short-term moves to bring in some vets, change the culture and afford an evaluation year. That plan got the Isles to the second round.

He went hard after Panarin. When that fell through he brought back Lee and now he should be looking to add at least one more top-6 forward and a bottom-6 center. There is still time to get it done.
It worked out. But honestly, would you have been shocked if last year the NYI finished anywhere from say 23rd in the league to falling just short of the playoffs?

Yes leo, filpula, Martin worked out, but luck played a factor there. They are all quality nhlers who serve their role. But much like last year we needed scoring.

The coaching change had a major impact that may not be felt as much this year. The shine is off the rose so to speak.

Until we actually improve the roster, I think we are a bubble team and I'd be beyond shocked if we finished with home ice advantage again next year.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It worked out. But honestly, would you have been shocked if last year the NYI finished anywhere from say 23rd in the league to falling just short of the playoffs?

Yes leo, filpula, Martin worked out, but luck played a factor there. They are all quality nhlers who serve their role. But much like last year we needed scoring.

The coaching change had a major impact that may not be felt as much this year. The shine is off the rose so to speak.

Until we actually improve the roster, I think we are a bubble team and I'd be beyond shocked if we finished with home ice advantage again next year.
There's another coaching change this year. A critical coaching change. The PP was the one thing that kept the Islanders from the third round and possibly beyond. Jim Hiller is the most important add to the team this summer. In his two previous jobs, he transformed both Detroit and Toronto power plays from bottom to top of the league.

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Maybe that offer's low but they are just as much in need of defenseman as we are of a top 6 forward, particularly after trading Trouba. All I know is the trade market has been rather strange and it's kind of tough to determine value right now. Winnipeg trades a great young defenseman to the Rags for essentially nothing and then Colorado trades a top six defenseman that can move the puck and score along with a third line center for....... a third line center!! Oh and they're paying half of Barrie's salary too. What duh?? Kind of difficult to make sense of the current trade market!

Even Louis Mendez laughs at that.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Holy cow.... Where to begin...

The Islanders had a great year but it doesn't matter all that much because, let's face it, they could've finished last if you really think about it.

Yeah the players Lou brought in were contributing factors to the success but who cares. It's just luck man.

Yeah Trotz is great but, like, it's like so boring now. Can we get something new and shiny to capture our attention?

We suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad