HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Necas is probably just behind Aho and Slavin when it comes to untouchables. Canes have lacked a 1C for a few years now, and Necas has the best chance of becoming that. I would be absolutely floored if they moved Necas and it wasn't as part of a deal for a young center with more potential / more proven than Necas.

I'm not sure what that buys Carolina though. Maybe a few more goals, but Teravainen has excellent chemistry with Aho, is only 23 years old, took a huge step in his development this year with 23 goals and 64 points and is an RFA. I don't see a reason for the Canes to move a player like that for Pacioretty, who is a UFA in 1 year and will be commanding a huge payday at the age of 31 years old when his next contract begins.
Makes me wonder how Bergevin missed the boat on getting Teravainen for pretty much free (2nd + cap dump Bickell?) . Isn't he plugged in to the Hawks? Possible center...for a second and cap space he wasn't going to use?

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Makes me wonder how Bergevin missed the boat on getting Teravainen for pretty much free (2nd + cap dump Bickell?) . Isn't he plugged in to the Hawks? Possible center...for a second and cap space he wasn't going to use?

We're way past the point of trying to understand how Bergevin manages trades. It's beyond comprehension.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What would it take to get Necas? With TT, Lindholm, and Jordan Staal they are pretty set up the middle, and they are set on D. Add a top W in the draft, I think they are a goalie away. Price for Necas!

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I realize the thread is about Montreal's off-season moves, but would be great to include recent Laval signings in the OP. I'm excited to see how the organization ensures greater depth on the farm as call-ups seemed to be their undoing this season.

UFA Laval Singings
  • T.J. Melancon
  • Morgan Adams-Moisan
  • Adam Plant <-- Not 100% sure if he only signed for 17/18 or if it includes 18/19
  • Phelix Martineau

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What would it take to get Necas? With TT, Lindholm, and Jordan Staal they are pretty set up the middle, and they are set on D. Add a top W in the draft, I think they are a goalie away. Price for Necas!

Maybe you didn't see the response I gave before so I'll repeat it here.

Necas is probably just behind Aho and Slavin when it comes to untouchables. Canes have lacked a 1C for a few years now, and Necas has the best chance of becoming that. I would be absolutely floored if they moved Necas and it wasn't as part of a deal for a young center with more potential / more proven than Necas.

I don't think there is anything MTL has (at least that you'd be willing to part with), including the 3rd OA pick, that I'd give up Necas for. Zadina may end up being a better player, but it's not a certainty and the fact that Necas is a center is critical from a Carolina POV. Necas has incredible speed and is able to make plays at speed, which is ideal for today's NHL game. RE: the other guys. TT does not play center, he's strictly a winger. Lindholm has been playing predominately RW, although he finished the season at center and I though looked better than he did on the wing. Staal is a fine 2C in a shutdown role, but he's not going to be a 1C or provide the offense needed, plus he'll be 30 to start next season.

I doubt Price would waive for Carolina and I don't see the Canes, a small market/budget team, would take on his contract anyhow.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I realize the thread is about Montreal's off-season moves, but would be great to include recent Laval signings in the OP. I'm excited to see how the organization ensures greater depth on the farm as call-ups seemed to be their undoing this season.

UFA Laval Singings
  • T.J. Melancon
  • Morgan Adams-Moisan
  • Adam Plant <-- Not 100% sure if he only signed for 17/18 or if it includes 18/19
  • Phelix Martineau

Plant has an AHL contract for next season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The new owner said they wouldn't be a budget team anymore.

Actually, he never said that. When he took over the team, he said they'd spend for the right assets, but he's not going to be dumb with his money.

At his end of season press conf., he came right out and said that he's not going to be spending a bunch on UFA and that until they start winning and getting attendance, he's not going to be spending a lot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I saw that this morning but didn't post it since you could pretty much say the same thing about every pro scout on this team. What is it really saying? Could be the status quo or could be a change, no one knows. Hardly worth a tweet. Thanks Coleman, you putz.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lindholm plays wing for them. They've Galchenyuked him. They're not giving Necas up for anything we have.

Nobody Galchenyuks like we do. He's not Galchenyukked until his confidence has been torn to shreds, until a diminutive 4th line undrafted center with limited attributes is favored over him, until he's yo-yoed back and forth between the first and 4th lines including to start the playoffs and until his minutes are artificially curtailed. Lindholm, if you want the full treatment, come to the Habs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Perhaps include Donald Beauchamp departure in Management Leaving in OP

Only on the Habs is a PR person's departure, something to make a note of. Think about that for a second. On any other club, it's an administrative footnote when it comes to what matters to fans. I won't miss him, nor do I much care for a foot soldier whose main job was to strong-arm reporters not to do theirs. f*** him and the horse he's riding out with.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
  • A different GM.
  • More disposable quality depth.
  • The foresight and acumen to amass more disposable quality depth.
  • The planning and investment in resources needed to fully develop disposable quality depth.
  • A correct valuation of the assets you do have once you have them.

Conclusion: draft your own Necas-type next year, we ain't getting him.

Reactions: BLONG7

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

UFA Laval Singings
  • T.J. Melancon
  • Morgan Adams-Moisan
  • Phelix Martineau

Perhaps include Donald Beauchamp departure in Management Leaving in OP

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
  • A different GM.
  • More disposable quality depth.
  • The foresight and acumen to amass more disposable quality depth.
  • The planning and investment in resources needed to fully develop disposable quality depth.
  • A correct valuation of the assets you do have once you have them.
Conclusion: draft your own Necas-type next year, we ain't getting him.
Hey, we've got the disposable part down...as in all our draft picks in the last 10 years, could easily be disposed of, and replaced with ufa base salary grinders and 6th D...and no one would notice.

Reactions: Runner77

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
That's an interesting quote by Dreger...about how rumors of Tavares to Montreal "started inside the market".

Interesting because Dreger himself, stoked those rumors months ago when he suggested that in his opinion, Tavares would end up with the Habs if he made it to free agency.
Dreger has learned to do what all the online pundits do: mention the Habs and/or Leafs in every rumor in order to drive traffic to the site. It's a page taken right out of Eklund's playbook and it never fails to do what it sets out to do. People will still re-tweet it even if it's just to point out that it's BS.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Dreger has learned to do what all the online pundits do: mention the Habs and/or Leafs in every rumor in order to drive traffic to the site. It's a page taken right out of Eklund's playbook and it never fails to do what it sets out to do. People will still re-tweet it even if it's just to point out that it's BS.
Agreed...it's just very hypocritical of him.

The very first link of Tavares and Montreal I ever heard/read, at least the first legitimate link, came from Darren Dreger himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad