*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2013-2014 Thread Part II

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Not looking forward to the hunt for a backup goalie again next season. They had a heckuva time finding someone last season and got Darveau at the 11th hour.

We need to start thinking about the future in goal. I can't see Fucale coming back for an overage season, so next year is probably his last with us. Ideally, I would like to see us get a young goalie to backup Fucale next year, and take over as starter the following season.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Any ideas on what the defense will look like next season?

Without Weegar, it might be ugly. Murphy is a solid D, but he's not a guy who can do it all himself. If Weegar does turn pro, I'd guess Austin Hardie will return as an OA. It will be interesting to see what Brian Lovell can do with more responsibility, every once in a while I could see some flashes of a really good player in him.

I will say that I have high hopes for Brandon Worthen as a rookie. He didn't look out of place in his brief stint with the Mooseheads this year. Not that I expect him to be a star or anything, but he looks like a good quality player.

Cavan Fitzgerald is an interesting one as well. Didn't really see enough of him to make a call on his potential, but he looked pretty good when I saw him, and he put up some good numbers in Jr. A this season.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
Without Weegar, it might be ugly. Murphy is a solid D, but he's not a guy who can do it all himself. If Weegar does turn pro, I'd guess Austin Hardie will return as an OA. It will be interesting to see what Brian Lovell can do with more responsibility, every once in a while I could see some flashes of a really good player in him.

I will say that I have high hopes for Brandon Worthen as a rookie. He didn't look out of place in his brief stint with the Mooseheads this year. Not that I expect him to be a star or anything, but he looks like a good quality player.

Cavan Fitzgerald is an interesting one as well. Didn't really see enough of him to make a call on his potential, but he looked pretty good when I saw him, and he put up some good numbers in Jr. A this season.
I like Lovell, he is a smooth skater, but he needs to play his game which is hitting. No one lays hits like Brian - he was beast the first half of the season, then kind of stopped playing his game.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Defence probably looks like
Hardie - Murphy
Lovell -

Then you really take a step down as far as experience and ability goes... Will be quite the training camp for D next summer... Jacques, Fitzgerald, Worthen, Ford (2nd rounder), Taillefer (captained his team to Telus Cup Finals I believe) ...... Plus any picks or free agents we get...... We've inherited Weegar, Gazzola and Lussier for next to nothing the last two seasons, hope it can happen again :D

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
and so, do you still feel he was right in his statement? Mantha/Henley got 1 point each in the last 2 games…and 3 points combined in game 5 which they lost. Game 6 and 7 goals were scored almost entirely on the Val D'or side from their 3rd and 4th line. Sorry, but Depth will win you a championship. If you/Palov don't realize that halifax was greatly missing the depth up front and on defense that they had last year, you need to check again:)

Easy to say I told you so eh...

I stand by what I said... Both teams heavily relied on their top players, Val-d'Or's just barely got the better of us... Our defence held a very good offence to nearly half the shots the Mooseheads got almost all series... We also had 5 goals in the final three games from 4th liners turned 3rd liners with Meier's injury.... Ciampini, Fortier, Shewfelt... Hell even Hardie chipped in offensively when it mattered..... Val-d'Or had their depth players show up big time for Game 7, but it's not to say we didn't have any... I have a feeling too many people are comparing this years depth to last seasons, which is unfair.... No Moose fan ever said we compare to last season, we realize this.... Where exactly do people see us saying our depth was equal to last season..........

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
Easy to say I told you so eh...

I stand by what I said... Both teams heavily relied on their top players, Val-d'Or's just barely got the better of us... Our defence held a very good offence to nearly half the shots the Mooseheads got almost all series... We also had 5 goals in the final three games from 4th liners turned 3rd liners with Meier's injury.... Ciampini, Fortier, Shewfelt... Hell even Hardie chipped in offensively when it mattered..... Val-d'Or had their depth players show up big time for Game 7, but it's not to say we didn't have any... I have a feeling too many people are comparing this years depth to last seasons, which is unfair.... No Moose fan ever said we compare to last season, we realize this.... Where exactly do people see us saying our depth was equal to last season..........

i'm not saying I told you so....I said depth is a KEY factor the farther you go in the playoffs. You did score many goals from your 3rd and 4th line...proving my point :)

tarkus26

Apr 8, 2014
Any ideas on what the defense will look like next season?

Interesting to see how Josh Fitzgerald out of Newfoundland fits into the picture. The moose signed him in January. He was the captain of his midget team and had 23 pts in 24 gms. Could be a sleeper.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
Great article.

I think the 20's are going to be Gadoury , Ryan and one of Hardie or Ciampini.

They'd be able to get the bigger return dealing Ryan or Ciampini so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I could see Rimouski targeting one of the forwards.

<shudder> Trade Luca

I think it will probably be Gadoury, Hardie and Ryan but I would not be surprised if they actually dealt Ryan and keep Lussier depending on their D situation. That is probably a longshot though.

Here were the D we had available at the start of this season:
Lewis - Gone
Duke - Gone
Weegar - Gone
Hardie - OA
Lussier - OA
Murphy
Lovell
Jacques

Ouch.

Last edited:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
One guy I'm really looking forward to is Maxime Fortier. In the games he played during the regular season, I was trying to temper my expectations. But I thought he was really impressive in the playoffs. Could make an immediate impact on our top-6 next season, but long term, he could be a building block for another championship run in a few years.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
One guy I'm really looking forward to is Maxime Fortier. In the games he played during the regular season, I was trying to temper my expectations. But I thought he was really impressive in the playoffs. Could make an immediate impact on our top-6 next season, but long term, he could be a building block for another championship run in a few years.

Agreed - for a 16-year old he looked very good out there - nice to see him get that OT winner in game 5

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
OK, just figured where we were already talking about next year's lineups...

Best to wait after the cup that way the whole QMJHL section can be done over. Plannning is going in now for 2015 season. if you have any ideas for sticks just sing out.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
From Willy:

"There is a deal in place to send Mooseheads winger Luca Ciampini to the Baie-Comeau Drakkar for a 2015 second-round pick. Story coming soon."

I say good riddance. For a #2 overall draft choice he sure was a bust. His lack of work and dedication off the ice really hampered his performance on the ice.

Best of luck in BC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad