*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2013-2014 Thread Part II

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Great season Moose. Excellent job by Val d'Or and Bibeau, I'm damn glad you're a Leafs prospect.

It was such a weird combination of emotions watching Bibeau play. Glad he's doing great, just wish he could've waited until next year to do it.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
10291754_10152358824120605_5294786234462256218_n.jpg

In all seriousness Val D'Or was the better team and deserves to be going to the finals. I am going to miss having a player like Drouin around too.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I'm not being sarcastic , but how did Fucale play ? On paper , he looked like he struggled these playoffs ....
He struggled big time against Val D'Or, but the defence hung him out to dry a lot against them too. On paper last night he had a bad stat line; 3 goals on 19 shots or whatever it was. Only the first goal may have been stoppable though, and it still went top corner. The other goals were the result of bad defensive reads that led to great scoring chances that Val D'Or had no trouble burying all series.

On the second Val D'Or goal in particular, there were four Mooseheads skaters in the defensive zone all staring at the puck carrier. Nobody had their head on a swivel watching for a guy behind them. Centering pass, open man, BANG, in the net. One of the other goals - I forget now if it was #1 or #3 - came after a bad turnover while Weegar was caught way up ice on an overaggressive pinch and no forward recognized the situation and came back to cover for him. That kind of defensive sloppiness killed the Moose all series long.

The Foreurs weren't committing those kind of defensive sins; yes the shots were lopsided in the third period but it was rare to see a Foreur defender out of position, which severely limited any rebound or one-timer opportunities, and Bibeau was rock-solid in goal on the shots the Moose did generate. Drouin was stuck in "I gotta make this happen by myself!" mode and it really hampered his effectiveness (I genuinely think it was questionable of Ducharme to keep sending him out there for such long shifts because he was so off his game).

Essentially it looked to me like the Mooseheads never had a gameplan to deal with an opponent they couldn't simply outscore on their offensive prowess alone. They didn't play from behind very well because they've had to do it so rarely over the past two seasons. It frankly makes me wonder if Ducharme has to some degree been coasting on his elite talent for the last couple of years; we'll see next season I guess.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
okay.... Was that offside? the 2 on 1 near the 10min mark?

Also did that puck go in the net? from my seats I could have swore it went in. everyone was jumping up and down then the horn goes off.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
He struggled big time against Val D'Or, but the defence hung him out to dry a lot against them too. On paper last night he had a bad stat line; 3 goals on 19 shots or whatever it was. Only the first goal may have been stoppable though, and it still went top corner. The other goals were the result of bad defensive reads that led to great scoring chances that Val D'Or had no trouble burying all series.

On the second Val D'Or goal in particular, there were four Mooseheads skaters in the defensive zone all staring at the puck carrier. Nobody had their head on a swivel watching for a guy behind them. Centering pass, open man, BANG, in the net. One of the other goals - I forget now if it was #1 or #3 - came after a bad turnover while Weegar was caught way up ice on an overaggressive pinch and no forward recognized the situation and came back to cover for him. That kind of defensive sloppiness killed the Moose all series long.

The Foreurs weren't committing those kind of defensive sins; yes the shots were lopsided in the third period but it was rare to see a Foreur defender out of position, which severely limited any rebound or one-timer opportunities, and Bibeau was rock-solid in goal on the shots the Moose did generate. Drouin was stuck in "I gotta make this happen by myself!" mode and it really hampered his effectiveness (I genuinely think it was questionable of Ducharme to keep sending him out there for such long shifts because he was so off his game).

Essentially it looked to me like the Mooseheads never had a gameplan to deal with an opponent they couldn't simply outscore on their offensive prowess alone. They didn't play from behind very well because they've had to do it so rarely over the past two seasons. It frankly makes me wonder if Ducharme has to some degree been coasting on his elite talent for the last couple of years; we'll see next season I guess.

This is a pretty accurate assessment of things IMO, including outing Ducharme. Kudos.

The easy way out would be to hang this on Fucale but the truth is while he did not look as sharp this series as usual, the defense has been a major problem all series against these guys and even though we outshot them, their shots were mostly high percentage shots from the high or low slot or were deflections due to terrible D presence (absence?) in front of our own net. Many many lapses that VDO was happy to burn us on.

Not enough forcing them to shoot from the outside. Too much letting them walk right into the slot (in some cases right to the net) unchallenged. Too much D pinching/carrying deep into the o-zone without proper support on the blue line/neutral zone. I lost count of how many times VDO had someone floating in the neutral zone that no one appeared to know was even there.

Weegar's style of D - which works great on other teams - hurt us tremendously against Val D'Or. To make matters worse, Murphy, Lussier, and even Hardie and Duke - who usually are more defensively responsible - were carrying deep and jumping in. No one on Murphy's line ever seemed to recognize that when he was in deep someone needed to cover for him. It was a nightmare really.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
The disappointing thing is although we were kind of underdogging it all series, we had a legit shot at winning that game.

I find this troubling:

Not sure if he is just not wanting to call anyone out at this point but Ducharme saying they would play the exact same game without changing anything is a bit worrisome.

Last edited:

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
If you watch the video at the end, it shows a couple of the VDO goals. Freeze at the 2:18 mark and you'll see this (VDO goal 2 just before it is scored)

attachment.php

Attachments

• moose_dlapse1.png
    moose_dlapse1.png
    209.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
The Halifax market is huge for the qmjhl right? $$$$

If so what does that mean for the future. yes previous years were fun and exciting but these last 3 years have been sell outs. The organization will continue to be strong if the cash is still there.

Id say time for a new arena or build on when the trade centre is complete

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
I think the team just ran out of gas. You can't possibly play from behind as much as they did and expect to win a series. The fact it went 7 games was impressive enough. There was just nothing left.

I honestly have no idea what happened to Fucale. To start the series I would have said Halifax had the edge in goal. I didn't see Game 1 but Game 2 was the turning point IMO. 3 goals on 3 shots before the game was 5 minutes old. I think that ruined his confidence and everything went downhill from there. A lot of the times the goalies were hung out to dry but that opening sequence of Game 2 is something that has never happened in the past and goals that everyone would have expected Fucale to stop. If those 3 goals don't go in I believe we would have had a much different series.

Libbs

Jul 20, 2010
Halifax, NS
Via Willy:

Mooseheads D in the final: Murphy (dislocated shoulder), Weegar (sprained wrist), Duke (groin), Lussier (sick GM 7) and Hardie (sick GM 7).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad