Official: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor on August 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There's no such thing as "street fight" in some collective sense. It's Hollywood movie stuff and about as real as show wrestling.

I guess the soccer hooligan fights we have here are something like that, maybe they have some unwritten rules but definitely are real and I wouldn't wish to consider them sports.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Great fight, went more or less how I expected it to go.

Full respect to McGregor for holding his own, but the butt hurt from his nut huggers is hilarious :laugh: Can't wait to see the fall out if they actually feed him to Khabib.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
It's insane how people see what they want to see.

Floyd didn't even seem to try for the first few rounds and could have finished Conor at any point from round 5 on. It was exactly what I expected to happen, Floyd carrying Conor for a while to put on a show.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
UFC fanboys have been saying that forever.

I think the UFC market hinges on the boxing market. As long as boxing has good fights, the UFC will be 2nd. If boxing continues to slide, they could be 2nd. It's really still all in their hands.

edit ps: people aren't raising their kids to watch these sports anyways

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
This kind of thinking is exactly why boxing is dying.Keep telliny yourself only rednecks with wifebeaters watch UFC and ill laugh as the viewership explodes for UFC and dwindles for boxing.

It's not just them. I'm not a redneck, nor wear wifebeaters and watch MMA. I'm willing to bet everyone in the general MMA thread don't either. You, however, are acting like it with your ignorance. And spare me the UFC will laugh at boxing dwindling. They've been saying that since 2005, and yet the UFC NEEDED boxing tonight to bring up their sagging revenue. Maybe you missed what I said about UFC 214 and 211. Not to mention the last UFC on Fox card had the worst ratings in its history.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Boxing was exposed tonight for being a sport on the decline. This was a win for McGregor and the UFC, regardless of the outcome.

And that's why I love Chael Sonnen, calling out the corrupt judges on live TV.

On the decline because a 40 year old Boxer in his retirement fight against a guy who had never had a Boxing fight before is going to probably be the highest grossing PPV of all time lol?

How do you people come up with this nonsense.

Then we have these clowns talking about what will happen when Floyd is gone, there's multiple young big stars on the horizon in Boxing and there's a huge fight just around the corner starring two of them.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Care to elaborate? Boxing ain't had a heavyweight since Tyson, yet it still holds strong. MMA is new(and doing well), but boxing has a broader appeal, and when they get a stable of heavyweights, it will take off again.

A guy with no professional boxing experience just stepped in against one of boxing's greats and went 10 rounds ( and at the same time, winning rounds ) when the vast majority of boxing pundits thought this wouldn't last a round.

If a boxer with no MMA experience stepped into the Octagon and went 3 or 4 rounds against an MMA champion, that would make MMA look bad.

Mayweather got his win and want he wanted, but McGregor definitely stepped into a world that no one thought he had any business in and didn't look out of place.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
On the decline because a 40 year old Boxer in his retirement fight against a guy who had never had a Boxing fight before is going to probably be the highest grossing PPV of all time lol?

How do you people come up with this nonsense.

Then we have these clowns talking about what will happen when Floyd is gone, there's multiple young big stars on the horizon in Boxing and there's a huge fight just around the corner starring two of them.

They're sore because their messiah lost, and that their beloved empire had to beg a sport "on the decline" to help them make back a mere fraction of that $4 billion WME paid to buy the UFC.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I want to go to a Bills game just to see the tailgating with the flaming tables and general weirdness.

biggest party in the world. It has a special aura to it. Area 51 is the best way to describe it. We've always had crazies, but it's just documented now. Be sure to do a shot of crown from the bowling ball on the way in!

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
A guy with no professional boxing experience just stepped in against one of boxing's greats and went 10 rounds ( and at the same time, winning rounds ) when the vast majority of boxing pundits thought this wouldn't last a round.

If a boxer with no MMA experience stepped into the Octagon and went 3 or 4 rounds against an MMA champion, that would make MMA look bad.

Mayweather got his win and want he wanted, but McGregor definitely stepped into a world that no one thought he had any business in and didn't look out of place.

Agreed

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Care to elaborate? Boxing ain't had a heavyweight since Tyson, yet it still holds strong. MMA is new(and doing well), but boxing has a broader appeal, and when they get a stable of heavyweights, it will take off again.

This. Big boxing events bring in massive amounts of causal fans. It has a far broader appeal. UFC has their own dedicated fan base, but nobody that isn't specifically a fan of it is buying PPVs for any of their events, even the highly hyped ones.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Honestly, now I just feel like Mayweather is laughing his ass off in his private jet while considering if he needs a shower or not after that match, cause he just made few hundred millions fighting a guy who had no prayer to ever challenge him. And Conor is laughing as well when he's driving his now non-rented Bentley back to his hotel cause he just made 7 figures in one match.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

Ummm, no, most Boxing pundits did not expect this to be finished in the first round :laugh:

And yes, he looked out of place, Mayweather did this very, very, very easily. Mayweather was advancing on him like nothing, that's not Mayweather's usual approach at all. Conor doing well in the first couple of rounds really isn't much of an achievement at all. Floyd took a couple of rounds to get some looks at him, particularly because of his more awkward approach and the stance changing, Floyd wasn't going after him at all at that time, nor was he trying to. This was little more than a sparring session for Floyd.

Floyd isn't some KO artist, he wasn't going to come in and destroy Conor quickly, that was never going to be the case.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Honestly, now I just feel like Mayweather is laughing his ass off in his private jet while considering if he needs a shower or not after that match, cause he just made few hundred millions fighting a guy who had no prayer to ever challenge him. And Conor is laughing as well when he's driving his now non-rented Bentley back to his hotel cause he just made 7 figures in one match.

They used to have a name for that...

...what is it??

..oh ya, swindled? right? (lucky for them people's ego's won't allow them to feel swindled)

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Ummm, no, most Boxing pundits did not expect this to be finished in the first round :laugh:

And yes, he looked out of place, Mayweather did this very, very, very easily. Mayweather was advancing on him like nothing, that's not Mayweather's usual approach at all. Conor doing well in the first couple of rounds really isn't much of an achievement at all. Floyd took a couple of rounds to get some looks at him, particularly because of his more awkward approach and the stance changing, Floyd wasn't going after him at all at that time, nor was he trying to. This was little more than a sparring session for Floyd.

Lots of the build up hype I've read from both so called experts and fans thought this would be done in 1 round. Nobody thought this would go 10 and you would be lying if any of them thought it would.

And if you think he looked out of place, I have no idea what you watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad