Official: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor on August 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
It's not just them. I'm not a redneck, nor wear wifebeaters and watch MMA. I'm willing to bet everyone in the general MMA thread don't either. You, however, are acting like it with your ignorance. And spare me the UFC will laugh at boxing dwindling. They've been saying that since 2005, and yet the UFC NEEDED boxing tonight to bring up their sagging revenue. Maybe you missed what I said about UFC 214 and 211. Not to mention the last UFC on Fox card had the worst ratings in its history.

I see you seem stuck and one or two events with the whole viewership thing, you are missing the forest for the trees, basically when you look at the general trends and the star power- UFC wins, just look here
https://sports.bwin.com/en/news/infographics/ufc-vs-boxing-graphic,116485.html

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Lots of the build up hype I've read from both so called experts and fans thought this would be done in 1 round. Nobody thought this would go 10 and you would be lying if any of them thought it would.

And if you think he looked out of place, I have no idea what you watched.

Yeah, no, it really didn't. And I predicted a finish in round 9. Most "Boxing pundits" realise that Floyd is not some heavy hitter who was going to go finish Conor quickly, why would he? he doesn't do it to anyone else and it isn't the smart approach to be loose in the early rounds and give Conor a punches chance which was the only chance Conor ever had, and even that was a slim one. Floyd is much, much too smart to do that.

I watched the fight where Floyd very easily cruised to a decisive victory where it did not look like for a single moment that he was going to lose. Not pumping Conor's wheels because he looked OK in a couple of rounds where Floyd was putting absolutely zero pressure on him :laugh:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Fair play to Conor for getting in there, but anyone who thinks he somehow proved he belongs in a Boxing ring at that level is a dreamer. He didn't challenge Floyd in the slightest.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Lots of the build up hype I've read from both so called experts and fans thought this would be done in 1 round. Nobody thought this would go 10 and you would be lying if any of them thought it would.

And if you think he looked out of place, I have no idea what you watched.

Pretty sure we all saw Conor throwing hammer fists. He was way out of his element.

It was still kinda fun, though.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah, no, it really didn't. And I predicted a finish in round 9. Most "Boxing pundits" realise that Floyd is not some heavy hitter who was going to go finish Conor quickly, why would he? he doesn't do it to anyone else and it isn't the smart approach to be loose in the early rounds and give Conor a punches chance which was the only chance Conor ever had, and even that was a slim one. Floyd is much, much too smart to do that.

I watched the fight where Floyd very easily cruised to a decisive victory where it did not look like for a single moment that he was going to lose. Not pumping Conor's wheels because he looked OK in a couple of rounds where Floyd was putting absolutely zero pressure on him :laugh:

Fair play to Conor for getting in there, but anyone who thinks he somehow proved he belongs in a Boxing ring at that level is a dreamer. He didn't challenge Floyd in the slightest.

If he were in there with someone like Canelo..his head would have been knocked back to Ireland. :laugh:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I see you seem stuck and one or two events with the whole viewership thing, you are missing the forest for the trees, basically when you look at the general trends and the star power- UFC wins, just look here
https://sports.bwin.com/en/news/infographics/ufc-vs-boxing-graphic,116485.html

LMFAO.

2017: Canelo/Chavez, 1 million. Woodley/Thomson 2: 300,000. Yeah, boxing is dead.

Oh, looky here: https://www.balls.ie/newsnow/joshua-klitschko-ppv-numbers-364219

The best UFC will do this year is likely Bisping/GSP, and after the reported numbers of Jones/Cormier, I don't know if that will crack 1 million. UFC on Fox ratings are lower than they've ever been. End of the day, the UFC is more popular. I won't argue that. However the UFC needed boxing tonight. So to say it's dying and dwindling is preposterous. But you've already proved your ignorance multiple times so I'm not surprised you're still plugging along.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
If he were in there with someone like Canelo..his head would have been knocked back to Ireland. :laugh:

I was just about to post something exactly like this, while Floyd is currently the best around, it's easier to look OK against him for a few rounds (or good apparently) because he isn't going to go after you. He isn't some assassin who goes out to destroy people, you basically get a few freebie rounds early where you'll go OK. If he was in there with one of the more brutal fighters, he wouldn't have had that luxury and probably would have been much more ugly. He wouldn't have been able to dangle his chin out like that against someone like Canelo.

This went exactly as per the Mayweather blueprint. Those early couple of rounds aren't some great testament to Conor's ability to go with a top level Boxer :laugh:

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
They're still smiling

CxbbRgHWIAAvhoe.jpg

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Again, if you thought that was an easy cruise win for Mayweather, then I think it's you that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Again, if you thought that was an easy cruise win for Mayweather, then I think it's you that doesn't know what he's talking about.

But it was an easy cruise for Mayweather lol, everything went exactly how he wanted it to, he was never in any threat, never in any danger, he was looking calm and relaxed and smiling while Conor was blowing hard after a few rounds, very little of what Conor threw got to him, this was an easy night for Mayweather.

If you think Mayweather was challenged in this you simply have no idea what Mayweather does.

To see Mayweather step forward so confidently just illustrated how confident and comfortable he was feeling, much more aggressive than we typically see him, because he felt confident to do so because after a few rounds he knew he had nothing to worry about at all.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Huh? :huh:

From my POV it definitely seemed like Floyd had no troubles in the fight. He was even fighting unorthodox style for himself cause he pressured McGregor and brought the fight with him. Anyone who has ever seen Floyd fight knows that's not his MO. He makes the fight come to you, the fact that he felt comfortable enough to start coming towards Conor is a pretty good indication that he felt about 0 pressure from him.

From a spectators eyes, it seemed like Conor didn't control the match one second. As far as boxing matches of this magnitude go, this was by and far one of the most lopsided ever.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
But it was an easy cruise for Mayweather lol, everything went exactly how he wanted it to, he was never in any threat, never in any danger, he was looking calm and relaxed and smiling while Conor was blowing hard after a few rounds, very little of what Conor threw got to him, this was an easy night for Mayweather.

If you think Mayweather was challenged in this you simply have no idea what Mayweather does.

I agree. I think one of the biggest tells was when May took in few punches and realized that Conor simply doesn't have the power to KO him he started to pressure. I mean, fan or not but has anyone ever seen Floyd moving towards the opponent as much as he did today?

I liked Conors defense and his head movement was much better than I though. But his punching power was weak. Weaker than I'd ever imagined it would be. Not sure why it was, probably because he was simply so out from his comfort zone. But Floyd punched harder, clearly harder.

Watching the match, not one second I thought "Hell, Conor might have a chance after all". He didn't. He was better than I thought he would be, but it was still a mis-match of the ages.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
LMFAO.

2017: Canelo/Chavez, 1 million. Woodley/Thomson 2: 300,000. Yeah, boxing is dead.

Oh, looky here: https://www.balls.ie/newsnow/joshua-klitschko-ppv-numbers-364219

The best UFC will do this year is likely Bisping/GSP, and after the reported numbers of Jones/Cormier, I don't know if that will crack 1 million. UFC on Fox ratings are lower than they've ever been. End of the day, the UFC is more popular. I won't argue that. However the UFC needed boxing tonight. So to say it's dying and dwindling is preposterous. But you've already proved your ignorance multiple times so I'm not surprised you're still plugging along.

So you are using Klitchkos fight, a fighter who is RETIRING and was the main draw for the fight, as the proof of a bright future for boxing? :laugh::laugh:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Mayweather fought like Arturo Gatti. Which is the opposite of how he usually fights. He did it because McGregor posed no threat.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was much more entertaining than I expected. Floyd was clearly pacing himself and sticking to the game plan but even with that I thought Conor showed pretty well in the first few rounds. After that it was all Floyd though and I had no issue with the stoppage because Conor was clearly gassed and Floyd was landing a lot of solid shots. It was nice to see Floyd actually go forward and finish like he said he'd do.

No moral victories but Conor wasn't embarrassed like many predicted so I don't think it was a bad night at all for him or the UFC. I'm glad it's over though and hopefully we get to see him defend the LW belt now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->