Official: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor on August 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
lol I have watched plenty of Floyd's fights

Literally Floyd just had a fun sparring session with McGregor. How could anyone even think that was a real fight lol?

Floyd did not care at all defensively, he just played and toyed around.

Because it was for Conor, so those of us that wanted to see him lose got what we paid for. :popcorn:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I know a lot of people here don't watch boxing or see the big event here and there

But that literally was a completely fake fight. Floyd just toyed with McGregor and put on a nice show and then sent the fans home happy in that they got to see a nice 10 round fight

It was a fake fight, but not because it was fixed. The difference between two athletes in this sport was simply too big.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Give me a call when Woodley, GSP, and Miocic are making $100m a fight.

You're also comparing a sport to the largest MMA organization. It's like comparing the sport of rugby to the NFL. The sport isn't going anywhere, but the NFL will make money hand over fist. And *NEWS FLASH* WME/IMG needed this fight to recoup some of that $4 billion they over-spent to buy the UFC.

Look dude its all about the viewing trends- when you take one glance at those youll ubderstand why boxing is nosediving in popularity. Whats boxing got to offer after Mayweather retires?

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Floyd did not care at all defensively, he just played and toyed around.

That's what I loved about the fight! Old man Floyd actually came at him recklessly. He was almost street fighting at the end. Never ever see that again. ever

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Be tough now. The UFC's all time pretty boy just got knocked silly by an old timer. I know where I'd rather spend my money. If ya like blood an guts, then maybe UFC more your thing than mine.

McGregor will be perfectly fine after this lol he was more embarrassed when he got choked out by Diaz.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Look dude its all about the viewing trends- when you take one glance at those youll ubderstand why boxing is nosediving in popularity. Whats boxing got to offer after Mayweather retires?

GGG vs Canelo?

You know how popular boxing is in other parts of the world, right?

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
It was a fake fight, but not because it was fixed. The difference between two athletes in this sport was simply too big.

Well yeah thats the point

But literally to have had fans pay $100 for a sparring session with Floyd taking it easy is just hilarious to me.

I mean seriously, they should have just been also allowed to wear headgear and shirts while they were at it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Is this a serious question? I mean, Floyd is a heck of a media presence but there's some pretty darn great boxers out there. Heck, there's a guy who I would have loved to see matched up against prime Floyd, GGG. If anything, UFC is hanging on one or two superstars to gain popularity.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

This. All-time greatest boxer against Amateur who doesn't even punch hard, compared to Canelo or Cotto. What you can expect?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Canleo/GGG, Anthony Joshua and Lomachenko. Seriously, GTFO. You're just being ignorant now.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
While Conor did not have any punches that threatened Floyd, there was no way Floyd was going to finish Conor within the first 5 rounds. Trust me, if he could've he would've.

Connor was fresh, controlling the reach, and somewhat awkward to fight. But once he started gassing, that was it.

Being a tough man McGregor could maybe have survived round one, but he didn't display much boxing prowess to speak of. As a punching bag he would have worn down much faster than 5 rounds. Anyone would.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Be tough now. The UFC's all time pretty boy just got knocked silly by an old timer. I know where I'd rather spend my money. If ya like blood an guts, then maybe UFC more your thing than mine.

Yeah some people actualy combat in their combat sports, see in a real fight you dont have the luxury to only fight with your hands.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Is this a serious question? I mean, Floyd is a heck of a media presence but there's some pretty darn great boxers out there. Heck, there's a guy who I would have loved to see matched up against prime Floyd, GGG. If anything, UFC is hanging on one or two superstars to gain popularity.

Vasyl Lomachenko

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yeah, kind of left me with a feeling that Floyd just pranced in the ring for few rounds and then decided that it's time to end it. At no point I felt like McGregor actually threatened Floyd. His punches were crazy weak and there was no way he's knocking Floyd out with them and even a less chance he lands anything significant to Floyd.

Agree with this.

MacGregor's punches were easy for Mayweather to eat. Then he just wrecked him.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Maybe Floyd would have not been able to end it in 5 (maybe he would have if he had started pushing but it was never his plan) but I honestly believe Conor couldn't have ended it at any point. He didn't seem to get to the point where it felt like he was danger for Floyd. But that's probably what we all expected.

I think it would be quite ignorant if anyone thought that Connor was going to beat Floyd. I know many people thought that, but I think the hype got to them.

I thought that at best, he'll lose a decision, but I suspected the outcome that happened tonight. I thought Floyd would stop it anywhere between rounds 6-10.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Well yeah thats the point

But literally to have had fans pay $100 for a sparring session with Floyd taking it easy is just hilarious to me.

I mean seriously, they should have just been also allowed to wear headgear and shirts while they were at it.

Well, I don't necessarily disagree with you on that it wasn't really a competitive match. Although, Conor was better than I thought he would be. But this wasn't really a competitive boxing match in the first place. It was a entertainment event, showbusiness effort and fans ate it. I don't blame anyone. I mean, how often you get people around the internet complaining about sparring sessions? We're doing it right now. It was a spectacle and I think Floyd did his best trying to give the fans that. As did Conor.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
McGregor will be perfectly fine after this lol he was more embarrassed when he got choked out by Diaz.

Def, but we were talking about UFC paychex. Why would he even bother. He could make more boxing the top fighters trying to take Floyd's retired crown?? Like saying why shouldn't I make a career out of the AHL? He's better than Tebow, and he'll retire with more than Jesus thinks Tebow should have.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013

Yeah boxing is still so immensely more popular worldwide over UFC.

Fact of the matter is Canelo/Golovkin is a way bigger draw than any UFC show has ever done in the United States.

UFC fails in one big aspect: when they are rolling around. Its just boring. Nobody wants to see two men rolling on top of each other. Most dudes aren't into that stuff.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Embarrassing fight for McGregor. But at the end of the day, he made more money in one fight than he has from all of his fights combined. Anyone saying **** about boxing doesn't know what they're talking about. There is a reason why he tried hard to fight may weather. Conors net worth is 30 million... And Mayweathers is 300 million.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Lol, so I saw this on UFC twitter:

"No one's taking these types of risks. I'll take it on the chin." #ConorMcGregor Outstanding job, champ. #MayweatherMcGregor

Uhhh. Yeeeeah. What a brave, heroic man. He accepted $30,000,000 to step out of his comfort zone in a sport against a goat in which no one in their right mind expected him to win. What a wonderful man, and he put so much on the line! What with 30 mil in his pocket, and if he loses it is what every one knew would happen, and if he woulda won, he woulda shaken the boxing world.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah some people actualy combat in their combat sports, see in a real fight you dont have the luxury to only fight with your hands.

When Usain Bolt won his Olympic gold were you complaining on how it's weak ass effort since he doesn't have to jump. Hurdles winners are the ****? Amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad