Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Holy crap! Smart Invert is, well, Dark Mode! It works flawlessly on almost everything I’ve tried so far. So much easier on the eyes in all situations.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Meanwhile I’ve just resigned myself to iOS 11 being a piece of crap and pray for iOS 12 to be more about stability and bug fixes than new shiny features. Apple has really lost its way in terms of stability with this update, imo.

Like all new iOS's, the first version will always be buggy. They've now released 11.2 which, by now, has taken care of mostly everything. I'm using a 6 and 11 now runs great.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Like all new iOS's, the first version will always be buggy. They've now released 11.2 which, by now, has taken care of mostly everything. I'm using a 6 and 11 now runs great.
mine hasn't. My iMessages don't even appear in the correct order anymore.

iOS 11 will go down along with iOS 7 as one of the buggiest iOS releases.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
IOS 11 killed not only my battery but my texting. Once I upgraded, I have the text delay now where I type and nothing happens for a few seconds and then everything appears. Sucks because most of the time the space doesnt register so its one large word.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
IOS 11 killed not only my battery but my texting. Once I upgraded, I have the text delay now where I type and nothing happens for a few seconds and then everything appears. Sucks because most of the time the space doesnt register so its one large word.
I get that sometimes where my phone will just randomly spaz out and have a delay. I have to do a force reset (power + home) to get rid of it.

I have a senior adviser calling me about my battery on Monday. Let's see what they can do. I'll probably bring up various other problems on my phone, the delay and forced resets being one of them.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
So I went ahead and got the 7+ and have had it for a week. I'm really happy. The performance upgrade from the 6 is pretty incredible.

The one complaint I have is that the battery life feels underwhelming. I think I expected to be able to go days without charging, but I think I didn't realize I expected that - if that makes any sense. I also have been playing with it more than any phone I've ever had. I've downloaded just about everything I've ever purchased from Apple, plus all of my photos, and all of my iTunes library, and I still have ~100 gigs free, so that's something. :biglaugh:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Doubt this is 'on point' for this thread - but I thought i'd dump my question here in any event - our wifi is through an apple port. something i've found is if my iphone is near my laptop (macbook air) it causes my iphone to lose its wifi signal. has anyone had a similar problem?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Apple admits it slows older iPhones -- to prevent battery issues

Wonder how many people would call you a conspiracy theorist for suggesting this before.

That's just awful by Apple. Should not be shipping defective batteries like that in the first place and should give users a warning so they can just replace the battery and not update.

"The aging battery means your phone could have trouble operating or might unexpectedly shut down, like happened to the iPhone 6 and 6S last year. The processors in those devices wanted to hit faster speeds, but their batteries couldn't handle the demand, prompting some phones to simply switch themselves off."

So this doesn't seem to be just a regular battery degradation issue. The phones will just shut off regardless of charge if I'm understanding right.

They've announced they'll be slowing down the iPhone 7s this year too. So instead of not shipping junk batteries, they're just going to slow older models down.

Edit: thought this was the Apple thread, but whatever fitting enough

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Accidently posted this in the Android thread. Considered not posting it in here but since the news is spreading to most big websites and its not being handwaved away by mainstream sites like I expected, I figured it was worth a post in here.

https://www.avclub.com/its-not-just-you-apple-really-is-intentionally-slowing-1821486992

Wonder how many people would call you a conspiracy theorist for suggesting this before.

That's just awful by Apple. Should not be shipping defective batteries like that in the first place and should give users a warning so they can just replace the battery and not update.

"The aging battery means your phone could have trouble operating or might unexpectedly shut down, like happened to the iPhone 6 and 6S last year. The processors in those devices wanted to hit faster speeds, but their batteries couldn't handle the demand, prompting some phones to simply switch themselves off."

So this doesn't seem to be just a regular battery degradation issue. The phones will just shut off regardless of charge if I'm understanding right.

They've announced they'll be slowing down the iPhone 7s this year too. So instead of not shipping junk batteries, they're just going to slow older models down.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So wife and I are switching services, and decided to both go with the X. Figure the small difference in monthly payment, going for the newer version would be better, especially since our monthly payment would be better anyway by switching.

Looking forward to seeing how it works. Any recommended for sure apps for the X that works better than older phones? I have a 6s (which I stated before has started to completely die in the past few months after no problems for 2 years) and she has a 7+.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I looked into this, apparently replacing the battery speeds up the phone drastically.

This person almost doubled the phones Geekbench score by replacing the battery. That is insane levels of throttling.

Thanks for posting that. After the iOS 11 update, my 6 Plus took around 10 seconds to open the browser. Seriously. We all knew that Apple was throttling speeds on older phones. Pretty sad when someone designs a software update for a phone that shuts off the phone instead of doing relatively simple tasks, too.

And then we have bootlickers like Rene Ritchie, who claim 100% that your iPhone isn’t slower after an update, your iPhone just seems slow NOW in comparison to the brand new iPhone that he’s rocking. I swear, Apple fanboys are likely absolute garbage human beings.

Oh well. This whole iOS 11 thing has cemented my view that Apple will always find a way to make you pay more. Now people will lean towards new instead of the 6/6s/7 used market, now screwing people out of their resale value on their phones too. Android looks more and more tempting each year.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Can anyone suggest a (free & legal) application that can transfer my music from my old ipod to my new iphone (even if using a computer in between). I am going to be using the X fully for my music now, and want to bring all my music over, playlists, album covers (half are custom covers) and all. I know with itunes you can transfer using purchased songs, but not all of them are purchased through itunes. Thanks!

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Can anyone suggest a (free & legal) application that can transfer my music from my old ipod to my new iphone (even if using a computer in between). I am going to be using the X fully for my music now, and want to bring all my music over, playlists, album covers (half are custom covers) and all. I know with itunes you can transfer using purchased songs, but not all of them are purchased through itunes. Thanks!
I believe you can use iTunes to transfer your iPod songs into your iTunes library, and then to your iPhone. I had the option a while ago when I bought a used iPod Classic. iTunes prompted me to copy all the music to iTunes. I declined - but the option was there.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I believe you can use iTunes to transfer your iPod songs into your iTunes library, and then to your iPhone. I had the option a while ago when I bought a used iPod Classic. iTunes prompted me to copy all the music to iTunes. I declined - but the option was there.

Yea I always saw the music transfer but I thought it was for purchased songs (through itunes) only?

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

This is such a BS reason. They are saying like "Sorry son we're going to throttle your cpu in the next IOS update so that you get better battery life. We're sorry if it's without your consent but we like thinking about our customers

Never liked Apple pricing model and their marketing decisions. This is just another reason why i won't jump ship anytime soon. This is BS

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How is that legal though, I would think that they would need to let you know that their updates were purposely slowing down your product which duped millions that do buy Apple phones, ino buying new ones or whatever.

I would think anyone that is affected by it, which is basically in that article anything made after Iphone 8 at this point (iPhone 7 Plus is also affected, what in the blue f***?). They damn well better offer better batteries to people using the damn phones. Because I left Samsung for shitty service after the Note 7 debacle, now Iphone and this horse shit?

I wonder if Google Pixel 2 XL is the way to go.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
We are going to intentionally slow down your year old phone because the battery has degraded because we couldn't bother to fit a larger battery in the first place because things need to be thin and shiny.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
I roll my eyes at most of the stuff people say when complaining about Apple. This slowing down the phone to "save the battery" business is garbage. Give me a notification and a choice. We know they know how to do *that*, so choosing not to is definitely shady.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->