Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Not so sure about last years draft more hyped. Sure there was the insane hype over McDavid/Eichel, but look at picks 12-15 (silly Boston), they were all reaches and far from blue chip prospects. Guys like McLeod/Gauthier/Brown/Keller/Bellows/Jost/Rubstov/Jones/Fabbro/McAvoy/Bean
have just as much potential as the guys from last year ranked 10-20, outside of Connor who the Jets were lucky to nab at 17th

But to your point about not caring where you pick: would you rather have a Marner/Zacha/Hanifin or a Zboril/Debrusk/Senyshyn? While there will always be hits & misses, let's not pretend that we wouldn't be missing out on potential game breakers by drafting 8th.

Bostons picks still confuse me. With those three picks they could've had Zboril Barzal AND Connor!

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I wish we had pick 10 or 11 so we could snag Logan Brown. I think he's going to be a beast,

As for Keller, people have been saying great things. There is usually one or two American guys that are totally underrated. Doubt we pick a small forward though unless it's Nylander

Nylander isn't really small lol. Hes 6 feet.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not so sure about last years draft more hyped. Sure there was the insane hype over McDavid/Eichel, but look at picks 12-15 (silly Boston), they were all reaches and far from blue chip prospects. Guys like McLeod/Gauthier/Brown/Keller/Bellows/Jost/Rubstov/Jones/Fabbro/McAvoy/Bean
have just as much potential as the guys from last year ranked 10-20, outside of Connor who the Jets were lucky to nab at 17th

But to your point about not caring where you pick: would you rather have a Marner/Zacha/Hanifin or a Zboril/Debrusk/Senyshyn? While there will always be hits & misses, let's not pretend that we wouldn't be missing out on potential game breakers by drafting 8th.

I'm curious as to why you feel the need to keep putting words in my mouth. I never said I don't care where we pick, I said I'm not worried about where we are picking. Some guys had a meltdown that we didn't pick top 3, if we ended up picking at 8, I'm fine with that because there's lots of good talent available, some of which isn't being talked about a lot which was my point.

Provorov, Werenski, Meier, Rantanen, Crouse, Barzal, Connor, Zboril, Konency, Merkley, all had lots of pre-draft hype, more so than the guys in that range this year, IMO.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'm curious as to why you feel the need to keep putting words in my mouth.

Huh? Don't think I ever did, & where I come from, these are the same damn things:

I never said I don't care where we pick, I said I'm not worried about where we are picking.

I'm replying to the point you were alluding to that picking 8th and getting a good player is just fine by you. Well I, like many others, will be disappointed if we can't come out of this draft with an actual game breaker - and there is no denying that your chances of getting a game breaker are increased the higher you pick.

For me the issue is that I have PLD & Tkachuk a tier above Nylander & Chych.
Then I see a big drop at 8th. Many scouts have said much the same throughout the year. So, sorry, but I would not be happy picking a "good" player in a crappy season when we were maybe 1 game away from getting a "great" player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here's a really good write up on Keller:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/10/clayton-keller-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-11/

Clayton Keller is a quick skater with an outstanding first step and an ability to accelerate extremely quickly. He can dart into openings in the offensive zone, creating space to get a pass and get off a quick shot. Keller’s ability to change speeds on the rush can create nightmares for defencemen. He also has excellent agility and the edgework necessary to weave through traffic and create scoring chances. The exceptional skating often allows Keller to gain a step on defenders, and force them into taking penalties to prevent him creating a scoring chance. Keller will need to add muscle to his frame going forward though, as he can get knocked around by bigger defenders at this point. He needs to strengthen his core in order to improve his balance and be more effective in the corners and in front of the net.

Clayton Keller can be a pure sniper. His snapshot and wrist shot are lightning quick, heavy and deadly accurate. Keller has a nice arsenal of shots, as he also has a good one-timer, and a strong backhand. He uses his skating skills to make plays with the puck on his stick, creating passing lanes where he can set up a teammate with a tape-to-tape pass. Defenders have to respect his speed, and when they back off to protect the net, he can pull up to use the defender as a screen and fire it on net, or to create an opportunity to set up a teammate. Keller’s stickhandling is smooth and he can beat defenders one-on-one both on the rush, and in the cycle game. He extends plays allowing his teammates the time to get open. His hockey sense is extremely well developed and he makes smart plays with the puck on his stick. Keller has excellent vision, and can thread a pass through the tiniest of openings to set up a teammate for a scoring chance. He also has a knack for avoiding defenders and getting open to unleash his shot.

Keller may be undersized, but that doesn’t hurt his defensive game at all. He is strong in the face-off circle. Keller is often used by Team USA to match top lines and to kill penalties. He reads the play extremely well and cuts down passing lanes and creates turnovers with his quickness. Once that happens Keller can transition to offense extremely quickly. Despite his size he’s willing to play a gritty game and backchecks well, but could again use added core strength going forward.

Clayton Keller has the skill to be a top notch forward, if he can overcome his size issues. Those make him a bit of a risky pick, but with more and small players succeeding in the NHL, we don’t see this as a huge issue. He will need some time to gain the weight necessary to stand up to the rigors of the pro game though. Keller’s style is reminiscent of Doug Gilmour, though this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on talent.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Keller will go in the top 15

Absolutely.

Not sure why a few fans on here have been thinking he'll drop to late 1st/2nd just because he is small.
Debrincat, Dube, Abramov, Bitten & Steel I could see dropping to late 1st maybe, but Keller has been a step above these guys all year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly I would even consider Keller at 7. This sounds like Kyle Connor all over again.

The type of numbers Keller is putting up are eye popping. His 87 points in 53 games is equal to what Jack Eichel produced during his under-18 season with US NTDP, and is amongst the top producers ever at the program, trailing only Auston Matthews’ production in recent years. Keller will be leading the American team at the IIHF Under 18 World Hockey Championships later this month.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
If we fell to 8 I would take Keller over either of the D guys likely available there. But Logan Brown is also intriguing...

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
So, for ***** and Giggles I ran the lottery simulator for the first time. It came up
1 Calgary
2 Buffalo
3 Columbus

just a thought, if that actually was the order would the flames be smart to call up Columbus to see if they would trade the 3rd overall plus Werenski for the 1OA (Matthews)

Last edited by a moderator:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So, for ***** and Giggles I ran the lottery simulator for the first time. It came up
1 Calgary
2 Buffalo
3 Columbus

just a thought, if that actually was the order would the flames be smart to call up Columbus to see if they would trade the 3rd overall plus Werenski for the 1OA (Matthews)

While I LOVE that lottery simulation partly because we win but mostly because Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver can all suck it, I don't think Columbus moves Werenski to move up two spots.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
While I LOVE that lottery simulation partly because we win but mostly because Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver can all suck it, I don't think Columbus moves Werenski to move up two spots.

Yeah Werenski is going to be a star. No way they trade a young top pairing D. Their blue-line is going to be nuts.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I've never seen such fascination with fans as much as this year when it comes to winning the first overall, then trading it to move down.

Is it because no media hype of Auston Matthews, is it because no on watches him, because he is American?

I don't get it. Auston Matthews is so incredibly underrated by the Flames fanbase it seems (based on all the stuff I read here and at CP). Everyone seems to want either a Finn or Dubois over him, blows my mind.

Matthews would instantly become the Flames best player, even over Gaudreau and Monahan.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Is it because no media hype of Auston Matthews, is it because no on watches him, because he is American?

It's because he shoots left and the Finns don't.

Everyone seems to want either a Finn or Dubois over him, blows my mind.

No one wants Dubois over him. Unless they're extra- worried about keeping the team together under the cap.

I think people would gladly take Matthews over Puljujarvi too.

But Laine is making a strong case he's the best prospect in the draft. That's nothing about Matthews just how good Laine could be.

To me the tiers are

1) Matthews / Laine
2) Puljujarvi / Dubois
3) Rest

Matthews would instantly become the Flames best player, even over Gaudreau and Monahan.

Matthews is basically Gaudreau and Monahan rolled into one :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad