Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
As with everything, it depends on the price someone is willing to pay.

Yes, but whoever that wants the 1st overall will have to overpay, and by doing so you will hurt the team more than you improve. There's not many deals out there that would satisfy both sides in this case.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I'm ok with not getting immediate help. Not the most important thing. I don't want to be pushing a team heavy in 18-20 year olds anyways

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm ok with not getting immediate help. Not the most important thing. I don't want to be pushing a team heavy in 18-20 year olds anyways

It would just make Treliving's life a lot easier with a slot-in top6 player (Matthews + Finns). Not saying it's the worst thing, but I'd rather get two birds stoned at once, get a top 6 player at the draft and sign one as well :laugh:

No more holes.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
No immediate help next year means we'll probably get another good pick next year unless we find some goalie who turns into a #1 right at the beginning of the year. Which isn't the end of the world since we are still in a rebuild and will still have some bad contracts on the team next year.

2017-2018 though we'll have lost a ton of bad contract cap space and we should start really pushing then. Next year I don't see us pushing too much unless Treliving goes full wizard and drops Wideman, Engellend, Smid, Raymond, Bollig, Stajan this off season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think we have to look at it like we have favourable odds at getting a top 3 pick, all the teams in the bottom 6-7 do. There is so much luck going to be involved with this lottery, and there's no telling what will happen. As someone else mentioned, we are not doing 100 draws, we are doing 1. Meaning the results "could" be quite random. In the grand scheme of things, I don't view 1-5% difference at getting a top pick that big of a variance. If we have around a 25% chance of hitting a top 3 pick, well those are 1 in 4 odds and that's pretty good really.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Wonder if they'll roll a Kylington - Andersson pairing on the PP

Since they are a lefty - righty they'd make a great tandem.

Imagine if in 3 or 4 years when Gio is starting to maybe slow down a little they could go

Giordano-Brodie (23 mins)
Russell(he might come back)/Jokipaks/Wotherspoon/Hickey/ - Hamilton(20.5mins)
Kyinglton-Andersson (16.5 mins)

That would be a very mobile D. Basically 6 Top 4 dmen.

No one really physical though.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
What's the opinion on Nathan Bastian a big RH RW, could possibly be on the board if we have the Dallas 1st, or slightly possible he's there for our 2nd.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Assuming we don't make trades with any of our top 3 rounds of picks I would like to see the majority of picks going to wingers and maybe a center or two. After that I'm open to throwing darts at a goalie and couple of defenders.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I like the idea of picking a goaltender with our second rounder. Hart will probably be off the board but with Gillies and McDonald in the AHL maybe a European goalie would be good move like Filip Gustavsson

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I like the idea of picking a goaltender with our second rounder.
Dear god no. We have so many frikkin goalie prospects it's going to be tough to find the right place for all of them next year. Heck, Alex Lyon didn't want to come here because of this surplus.

Plus it's generally a bad idea to draft goaltenders in the first few rounds.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
If we pick a goalie I'd rather see us wait until the 6th or 7th round. I feel like goaltending prospects are already a strength for us and we would be better served by picking either forwards or defenceman.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really don't mind if a goalie with pedigree falls into our laps. Like if Gustavsson is available in round 3 or with a really late 2nd.

Otherwise, yeah, draft goalies from the backend.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we take a goalie it pretty much has to be a college bound or European goalie, this year's injury to Gillies makes it even more difficult to add another goalie. Next year will be the rookie season for both Gillies and McDonald at the pro level, Schneider will turn pro the following year. Drafting a CHL goalie that will go pro in 2 year would just be too much too quickly. Where as with a college or European goalie you have up to 4 years to evaluate and sign them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad