Official 2015 NHL Draft/College & Europe FA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
York is the one who held him back. It wasn't by choice. Anybody who watched the second half of the season when York let him play his game saw a more explosive player. That's why his PPG doubled after the WJC.

Another thing I never got about the Bouwmeester comparison (Button again) was that he was always timid and got rattled. He's still like that today.

Hanifin is far more assertive and nowhere near the turnover/bonehead decision machine Bouwmeester has always been.

Also, Bouwmeester was in his 3rd full year of junior when drafted and didn't make that impressive a jump in what was an average draft year.

Hanifin is just a completely different player in a completely different scenario. Only thing they have in common is the size and that they're defensemen.

He's the best defenseman in this draft and more signs point to him holding on to that distinction far down the road, which says a lot considering the strength of the draft.

That's why I have no issues trading a guy like Stepan for him, especially since Hayes is projecting to be the same kind of player and Brassard is in his prime.

If the Rangers weren't one of the top teams in the league I might agree with the idea of moving Stepan for Hanifin but the problem is they've been to the Cup finals once and the conference finals twice in the last four years and as long as the window is open for us as a contending team the Rangers are going to need Stepan more than Hanifin the next two, three, four years. Though none of Stepan, Brassard and Hayes are elite players they are all still fairly young and give the Rangers 3 centers for 3 lines that can score which if you're going to have a team without elite offensive players is almost essential if you want to still have some kind of semblance of a contending team.

For the longer term no doubt we'd be a better team with Hanifin. For the shorter term without Stepan we're a lot more likely not to win a cup.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If the Rangers weren't one of the top teams in the league I might agree with the idea of moving Stepan for Hanifin but the problem is they've been to the Cup finals once and the conference finals twice in the last four years and as long as the window is open for us as a contending team the Rangers are going to need Stepan more than Hanifin the next two, three, four years. Though none of Stepan, Brassard and Hayes are elite players they are all still fairly young and give the Rangers 3 centers for 3 lines that can score which if you're going to have a team without elite offensive players is almost essential if you want to still have some kind of semblance of a contending team.

For the longer term no doubt we'd be a better team with Hanifin. For the shorter term without Stepan we're a lot more likely not to win a cup.

I agree but I guess trading Stepan frees up money to replace him with a similar talent, then playing Hanifin immediately as a 6th D on the right side means you free up additional money by ejecting Klein.

I like Stepan a ton but I threw his name out there because Maloney needs a young established 1C and would likely want him.

To me, Stepan shouldn't stand in the way of the chance to draft a franchise player who at worst would develop into a better and cheaper version of pre-injury Staal.

Unless they think Skjei is that guy, which he very well could be.

But I agree it may ruin the Cup chances for a year. Long-term I'd be willing to do it.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I agree but I guess trading Stepan frees up money to replace him with a similar talent, then playing Hanifin immediately as a 6th D on the right side means you free up additional money by ejecting Klein.

I like Stepan a ton but I threw his name out there because Maloney needs a young established 1C and would likely want him.

To me, Stepan shouldn't stand in the way of the chance to draft a franchise player who at worst would develop into a better and cheaper version of pre-injury Staal.

Unless they think Skjei is that guy, which he very well could be.

But I agree it may ruin the Cup chances for a year. Long-term I'd be willing to do it.

If you're trying to free up money, it isn't by moving Stepan. Move a guy that has an unnecessary contract (ala Girardi) to free up room. Arizona also needs help at defense since they destroyed it on their own. Moving Girardi + something for #3 to select Hanifin? Hell Yes! I'd do that instantly because Skjei is up and coming and so is McIlrath (on a shorter extent). Seeing that Pittsburgh isn't signing Ehrhoff and Martin, I'd use some of the Girardi money on them if need be. Would give Hanifin some more time to develop into a more "Norris" type defender.

But in all reality, I think NYR should stay positive for at least another year on the short term goal in winning the cup. In order to do that, you got to get more consistent scoring.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Does anyone know anything about Forsberg's brother? Is he worth a shot in the later rounds? He was a ppg for his junior team this year. Not sure if he will get drafted but looks like a 6th rounder ranking via Elite Prospects.

Yes! 3rd rounder for sure and is completely unlooked by most. Defensively sound, but doesn't really have his scoring potential figured out yet (but then again neither did Filip when he was with the Capitals (*other side note* Dumbest trade I've ever witnessed :shakehead)).

A player that has completely fallen off the map and may get the "Blake Clarke" treatment is Gustaf Franzen. Hasn't really shown any of the potential that was once thought of him when he came over to the CHL from Sweden. Camp invite for sure, but I wouldn't use a pick on him. My bet, unless something changes, is that he'll be a Top 6 minor leaguer.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
York is the one who held him back. It wasn't by choice. Anybody who watched the second half of the season when York let him play his game saw a more explosive player. That's why his PPG doubled after the WJC.

Another thing I never got about the Bouwmeester comparison (Button again) was that he was always timid and got rattled. He's still like that today.

Hanifin is far more assertive and nowhere near the turnover/bonehead decision machine Bouwmeester has always been.

Also, Bouwmeester was in his 3rd full year of junior when drafted and didn't make that impressive a jump in what was an average draft year.

Hanifin is just a completely different player in a completely different scenario. Only thing they have in common is the size and that they're defensemen.

He's the best defenseman in this draft and more signs point to him holding on to that distinction far down the road, which says a lot considering the strength of the draft.

That's why I have no issues trading a guy like Stepan for him, especially since Hayes is projecting to be the same kind of player and Brassard is in his prime.

Personally, I wouldn't say York held him back, so much as eased him in. Frankly, I think that made Hanifin a better player.

The Bouwmeester comparison isn't exclusive to Button, though he's certainly been the one with outlet to share it. The comparisons generally stem from the belief that Hanifin is a big guy who really isn't going to be a bruiser and skater who isn't necessarily going to be a scorer. From the conversations I've had it's not so much a knock on him, so much as an adjusting of expectations. People see the size and they see the skating and they immediately think this guy is going to put up some major points. The belief is that Hanifin probably isn't that type of guy.

I will also tell you that he is not the consensus number three on everyone's list. It's not quite as cut and dry as McDavid and Eichel.

I don't think we're that far off on our opinions of Hanifin. The difference being that you view him as a franchise player and I view him as a step below that.

As for trading Stepan, there are a few too many "projections" in that scenario for me. Hayes isn't there yet, and before I trade away a 25 year old first line center, I need to KNOW his replacement is close to there, not project he's going to be close to there.

Additionally, I do not believe Hayes projects as a first line center. I'm not quite comfortable going with Brassard and Hayes as our top two centers, especially on a team that is set to make another run at the prize. A year from now, maybe I feel differently, but I wouldn't be particularly comfortable with the timing of such a move right now.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
Personally, I wouldn't say York held him back, so much as eased him in. Frankly, I think that made Hanifin a better player.

The Bouwmeester comparison isn't exclusive to Button, though he's certainly been the one with outlet to share it. The comparisons generally stem from the belief that Hanifin is a big guy who really isn't going to be a bruiser and skater who isn't necessarily going to be a scorer. From the conversations I've had it's not so much a knock on him, so much as an adjusting of expectations. People see the size and they see the skating and they immediately think this guy is going to put up some major points. The belief is that Hanifin probably isn't that type of guy.

I will also tell you that he is not the consensus number three on everyone's list. It's nout quite as cut and dry as McDavid and Eichel.

I don't think we're that far off on our opinions of Hanifin. The difference being that you view him as a franchise player and I view him as a step below that.

As for trading Stepan, there are a few too many "projections" in that scenario for me. Hayes isn't there yet, and before I trade away a 25 year old first line center, I need to KNOW his replacement is close to there, not project he's going to be close to there.

Additionally, I do not believe Hayes projects as a first line center. I'm not quite comfortable going with Brassard and Hayes as our top two centers, especially on a team that is set to make another run at the prize. A year from now, maybe I feel differently, but I wouldn't be particularly comfortable with the timing of such a move right now.

Im tired of listening to this nonsense! Your right Noah isn't a bruiser, but neither was linstrom, leach, same can be said for Suter . Hanifin would rather take the puck away from an opponent and transition in the blink of an eye ... He's not soft or afraid to play physical I've seen him do it,he's just a smart player... As for his offensive abilities York absolutely held him back first half of year constantly in his ear if he rushed the puck or tried to be creative.... He lead BC from the backend 2nd half of year as an underage freshman .... People who question his offensive capabilities really haven't watched him play.... They just regurgitate stuff they read elsewhere!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Stepan and Brassard can both kind of fill a first line center spot but they're both kind of tweeners. Could just as easily call them both excellent 2nd line centers. I love Hayes' size in the middle and I think there's potential for him to reach Brassard's and Stepan's level and Hayes is a cheap contract. We're going to need three lines that can score especially if our one elite forward is going to be so quiet productively in big games. An offense by committee thing.

Personally I think the window is still open for next year and maybe for two, three years but we shall see. The larger longer term contracts will tend to be much less value for us when the window does close.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Im tired of listening to this nonsense! Your right Noah isn't a bruiser, but neither was linstrom, leach, same can be said for Suter . Hanifin would rather take the puck away from an opponent and transition in the blink of an eye ... He's not soft or afraid to play physical I've seen him do it,he's just a smart player... As for his offensive abilities York absolutely held him back first half of year constantly in his ear if he rushed the puck or tried to be creative.... He lead BC from the backend 2nd half of year as an underage freshman .... People who question his offensive capabilities really haven't watched him play.... They just regurgitate stuff they read elsewhere!

I'm a little confused why one can't say that someone makes a great prospect without saying that everything they do is amazing. It's not all or nothing. He doesn't have to be God's gift to defensive prospects to be a great prospect.

There's no regurgitating here. I still keep in contact with a lot of people I met when I worked in the NHL, around the NHL and a reporter and editor around here. I still balance those opinions with my own observations.

There are some elements of Hanifin's game that some people aren't crazy about. That's okay. That doesn't mean he isn't great prospect, but I think we do a disservice to him and every other young player when our views on them indicate that every single area of their game is a strength.

If the anger comes from the fact that not everyone believes he is a franchise player who is going to be one of the top defenseman in the NHL, than you're probably going to be pretty angry for a while.

And make no mistake, he could very well become a franchise player. That's okay too. But not everyone believes that at this point and I'm one of them. That doesn't mean Hanifin can't be a great player or those who don't project him as franchise player might not be proved wrong someday.

These conversations happen every year. It's never personal and it's never definitive. It's an observation based on a particular moment in time. No more, no less.

Last edited:

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Yes! 3rd rounder for sure and is completely unlooked by most. Defensively sound, but doesn't really have his scoring potential figured out yet (but then again neither did Filip when he was with the Capitals (*other side note* Dumbest trade I've ever witnessed :shakehead)).

A player that has completely fallen off the map and may get the "Blake Clarke" treatment is Gustaf Franzen. Hasn't really shown any of the potential that was once thought of him when he came over to the CHL from Sweden. Camp invite for sure, but I wouldn't use a pick on him. My bet, unless something changes, is that he'll be a Top 6 minor leaguer.

Wow, think he'll go in the 3rd? Elite Prospects (not sure how accurate they are) have him in the 5th/6th round area. Think he'll be there in the 4th? Hope NYR finds a way to get him.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Wow, think he'll go in the 3rd? Elite Prospects (not sure how accurate they are) have him in the 5th/6th round area. Think he'll be there in the 4th? Hope NYR finds a way to get him.

IMO, he's worth a 3rd/4th. I wouldn't hesitate to grab him around then. Don't think he'll drop that low, but it could happen.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If you're trying to free up money, it isn't by moving Stepan. Move a guy that has an unnecessary contract (ala Girardi) to free up room. Arizona also needs help at defense since they destroyed it on their own. Moving Girardi + something for #3 to select Hanifin? Hell Yes! I'd do that instantly because Skjei is up and coming and so is McIlrath (on a shorter extent). Seeing that Pittsburgh isn't signing Ehrhoff and Martin, I'd use some of the Girardi money on them if need be. Would give Hanifin some more time to develop into a more "Norris" type defender.

But in all reality, I think NYR should stay positive for at least another year on the short term goal in winning the cup. In order to do that, you got to get more consistent scoring.

I'd love to move Girardi but he has a limited NTC.

I think they'll be shopping some people. They are really high on at least five prospects who could be in the lineup as early as next year. With Stepan about to get his big deal I'd like to see them move some contracts and get back picks.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I think they'll be shopping some people. They are really high on at least five prospects who could be in the lineup as early as next year. With Stepan about to get his big deal I'd like to see them move some contracts and get back picks.

Girardi has an NMC through next season. After next season it moves to the limited NTC.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Mike Reilly: Isn't he a day or two late giving us his "narrowed down" list? Has anyone heard anything....seen a tweet from an insider.....or something?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Agreed

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Mike Reilly: Isn't he a day or two late giving us his "narrowed down" list? Has anyone heard anything....seen a tweet from an insider.....or something?

As of right now, same as before.

A guy from the star tribune said that he feels the Blackhawks are still the front runners for him.

My guess is that he ends up in Pittsburgh seeing that they publicly came out saying they are in full youth movement on the backend.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Anyone think the Rangers go after a veteran Euro UFA?

Maybe they find another gem like a Zucc. The guy I'm looking at is Frederick Petterson.

Not much knowledge on the guy, but he was the best player in the Swiss league this past year. Unlike a Matthew Lombardi, he's not afraid of contact.

RH shooter that can score and pile up points. Plays a skilled muckers game. Could be a Melker Karlsson type pick up.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Boston University forward Ahti Oksanen told a Finnish website that he's been invited to Rangers' summer camp: http://www.jatkoaika.com/Haastattel...della-laitetaan-suomen-ennätys-uusiksi/167733

I think he would be a good add. Has a breakout junior year and has good size (6'3 207). Left handed shot and had 25g 13a last season.

I would think hes going to pay his own way because I'm assuming he wants to play his senior year. Which means the Rangers couldn't sign him until next spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad