Official 2015 NHL Draft/College & Europe FA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Well I don't study this nearly as closely as you or some others do. I kind of keep an eye on it off and on as long as the Rangers are playing--then afterwards start looking at it a lot harder. Not having a first again kind of dampens the enthusiasm.

Foley's got some size, grit and skill--could turn into a pretty good player. Garland caught my eye during the season. I'd really like us to take him. When we get to #209 and #211--there's really a whatever--not sure what or wouldn't make sense for those picks.

He won't be there in the 7th round. A lot of teams like him and most mocks have him going 3rd/4th/5th round. Good player, though, and is a steal in the 7th round by far.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
During a mock draft I did with friends, these were my picks:

2nd (#61) C Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson
3rd (#89) LW: Keegan Kolesar
4th (#119) D: Chaz Reddekopp
6th (#179) C: Brad Morrison
7th (#209) D: Sergei Zborovsky
7th (#211) LW: Mattias Elfström

By the way: The reason we have pick no 61 is because Chicago has a compensatory pick in round 2, if I'm not mistaken. And the 2011th pick was acquired in the trade for Daniel Walcott with Tampa, a pick we sent their way in the St. Louis trade in the first place, if I'm correct

Pretty good mock for the Rangers. Morrison could be the real prize there.

Some more guys to consider between Rounds 2(late) - 4th:

RW Jonne Tammela: Finnish kid who is super fast and dangerous but small

C J.C. Beaudin: 80pct of his points came at ES and he was 6th among all Q centers in eP/60

C Sebastian Olsson: the Predator. Love this kid because he makes you pay for mistakes.

RHD Veeti Veinio: Finnish puck rusher with great passing abilities

RW Chris Wilkie: led the USHL in goals and shots. 300 shots in 59 games. He's headed to NoDak. His dad was a 1st rounder in the horrid 1992 draft.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Garland falls over if you breathe on him but his connection with Eichel means he might go to Buffalo in rounds 3-5.

Cotton is no more of a project than a ton of other forwards. Lots and lots of projects this draft but more with boom potential than in weaker years.

The US high school kids will get slept on because of the obsession with the CHL and impatience with NCAA development.

I think it's stupid because the minute these kids become UDFA's they all run to kiss their butts. How about draft them and wait instead?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Guryanov at 16 but I would go with Konecny or White over him.

Konecny and White aren't bad, but my draft philosophy if we get 16 is Guryanov, any projected top 10 pick who drops or a RHD like Juulsen or Roy.

I wouldn't mind it, but if NYR were described as taking the safest player it would be Konecny. Gurianov will definitely be a great study, though.

I don't think we have to take the safest player. Teams that have very little talent can't really afford to have their top draft pick bust. A team like ours with older talent, talent in their prime and younger talent should be able to withstand a possible bust.

What is even risky about Guryanov though, other than he's Russian?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He won't be there in the 7th round. A lot of teams like him and most mocks have him going 3rd/4th/5th round. Good player, though, and is a steal in the 7th round by far.

I wasn't talking about Garland in the 7th. I was talking about him at #119 in the post previous to that. What I was saying about the last two picks is you're taking pretty much anything at that point.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As for Oksanen, they need to sign this kid. Too good of a shot to let go. .More than half his 25 goals scored without Eichel.

He's just sloooooooow. Long stride but not very mobile.

Sign him and see if he can make the team during his 2-year contract.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Would love to see the Rangers sign Oksanen.

Should be kept in mind however that Oksanen might have already committed to his coach at BU that he intends to come back next year and so might be reluctant to sign a pro contract.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
As for Oksanen, they need to sign this kid. Too good of a shot to let go. .More than half his 25 goals scored without Eichel.

He's just sloooooooow. Long stride but not very mobile.

You can fix a guys skating, Parise, Benn, etc. You can't teach a guy to shoot like Oksanen

Or at least it is easier to teach a guy to skate.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I wasn't talking about Garland in the 7th. I was talking about him at #119 in the post previous to that. What I was saying about the last two picks is you're taking pretty much anything at that point.

Apologies, misread the post. Then I agree with you then! :)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Pretty good mock for the Rangers. Morrison could be the real prize there.

Some more guys to consider between Rounds 2(late) - 4th:

RW Jonne Tammela: Finnish kid who is super fast and dangerous but small

C J.C. Beaudin: 80pct of his points came at ES and he was 6th among all Q centers in eP/60

C Sebastian Olsson: the Predator. Love this kid because he makes you pay for mistakes.

RHD Veeti Veinio: Finnish puck rusher with great passing abilities

RW Chris Wilkie: led the USHL in goals and shots. 300 shots in 59 games. He's headed to NoDak. His dad was a 1st rounder in the horrid 1992 draft.

^I like these, too!

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Konecny and White aren't bad, but my draft philosophy if we get 16 is Guryanov, any projected top 10 pick who drops or a RHD like Juulsen or Roy.

I don't think we have to take the safest player. Teams that have very little talent can't really afford to have their top draft pick bust. A team like ours with older talent, talent in their prime and younger talent should be able to withstand a possible bust.

What is even risky about Guryanov though, other than he's Russian?

lol :laugh:

said to capt of the titanic.

"sir, other than this whole iceberg collision thing, sir.. how has your day been" ?

i like guryanov at 16. i think hell drop further for exactly the reason in bold, so its possible to trade down and grab and extra pick and still get the talented russian.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Would love to see the Rangers sign Oksanen.

Should be kept in mind however that Oksanen might have already committed to his coach at BU that he intends to come back next year and so might be reluctant to sign a pro contract.

couple things.

hellacious shot. really great one timer and can pick it. deadly shot off the pass.

as good a shooter as he is, he's a really bad skater. i mean below average imo.

and is he a dman or a forward ?

eh, not sure here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
lol :laugh:

said to capt of the titanic.

"sir, other than this whole iceberg collision thing, sir.. how has your day been" ?

i like guryanov at 16. i think hell drop further for exactly the reason in bold, so its possible to trade down and grab and extra pick and still get the talented russian.

:laugh:

Good point.

I still think that if he was from Sweden and was named Denis Guryansson, he'd definitely be a top ten pick, and maybe top five.

TurgePurge*

Someone make a list of the top 10 overseas free agents. If Sather doesn't land two of them its time for him to go.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Someone make a list of the top 10 overseas free agents. If Sather doesn't land two of them its time for him to go.

My list is thus.... (I'm excluding European prospects that currently play in North America so you won't see Provorov or Zacha on here)

1. RW: Mikko Rantanen
2. G: Ilya Samsonov
3. D: Oliver Kylington
4. RW: Denis Gurianov
5. D: Jacob Larsson
6. C: Joel Eriksson-Ek
7. D: Gabriel Carlsson
8. C: Julius Nattinen
9. LW: Filip Ahl
10: C: Alexander Dergachev

HM: RW: Jens Looke, LW: Roope Hintz, G: Daniel Vladar, RW: Robin Kovacs, G: Felix Sandstrom

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I see ex-NHLer Niclas Bergfors is a free agent from the KHL and is still young @ 28 y.o.

Anyone keep tabs on him? With the Russian economy in unfortunate circumstances and so many KHL players considering North America...do you think a guy like him will look into North America again? Would anyone in N.A. sign him?

TurgePurge*

My list is thus.... (I'm excluding European prospects that currently play in North America so you won't see Provorov or Zacha on here)

1. RW: Mikko Rantanen
2. G: Ilya Samsonov
3. D: Oliver Kylington
4. RW: Denis Gurianov
5. D: Jacob Larsson
6. C: Joel Eriksson-Ek
7. D: Gabriel Carlsson
8. C: Julius Nattinen
9. LW: Filip Ahl
10: C: Alexander Dergachev

HM: RW: Jens Looke, LW: Roope Hintz, G: Daniel Vladar, RW: Robin Kovacs, G: Felix Sandstrom

man did i have a scrabble face when reading this post. I have a T-I-K-H-O-N-O-V and i keep shuffling and couldnt get any of those names.

lets try that again...who are the top 10 UFAs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
couple things.

hellacious shot. really great one timer and can pick it. deadly shot off the pass.

as good a shooter as he is, he's a really bad skater. i mean below average imo.

and is he a dman or a forward ?

eh, not sure here.

I would think probably a forward though I don't see it as a negative that in an emergency situation you could maybe use him on the blueline. His major assets though are he has very good size/stocky build and he's a shooter type--a guy not afraid to take the shot and can one time it off a pass. The Rangers have a plethora of pass first mentalities at forward. We could use a couple more--more selfish types who can finish. We could also use another big body or two--with skills not afraid to go to the net.

As far as skating--he needs to work on that. It wasn't a particular strength of Brett Hull (coming out of college--who improved with age in that area), Luc Robitaille, Dave Andreychuk, Tim Kerr or even Phil Esposito. AV does like his forwards to be 200' players though.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
man did i have a scrabble face when reading this post. I have a T-I-K-H-O-N-O-V and i keep shuffling and couldnt get any of those names.

lets try that again...who are the top 10 UFAs.

A simple "no you misread the post" could've sufficed too, bud. No need to be sarcastic. At least I answered the question in some way. :shakehead

As for what you want, I don't really know much other than Plotnikov, Tikhonov, and AK47. But maybe some of the European posters on here could help out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->