Official 2015 Calgary Flames Draft Thread: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I like Kylington personally, but it all depends who is there at 15.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Honestly I like everything about Konechy except for his size which is a big factor for me. After watching the ducks series it really showed we need to get bigger up front and Konechy is only 5'9 if I'm correct. But I can't deny he is a great player with top 6 potential which we need. I think after thinking through it I would probably pick Roy

As would I, Maybe we should target a big skilled player in the second such as Filip Ahl.

Trae

Calgary
I really think we will see Treliving trade up, we have so many spare parts that can get that to work, all of our seconds and thirds, plus extra minor forward prospects, hell, Hiller even.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
My Preference at #15:

Meier
Roy
Konecny

Ya, I would love to see Meier available @ 15. He won't fall much past that though, unlike some of the other names here. Sprong, Roy, Kylington, Meloche have all been falling on most lists and could be available in the second round. I think we need to trade a player/prospect and pick(s) to get another pick around 20-30 so we can nab a highly touted Rwer & Dman.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
What position does he play? LW? I think I'm actually more excited to see who we pick with our second and third round picks :laugh:

He plays both wings but shoots left, hes huge something around 6'4 220.

Aug 21, 2014
Obvious pipe dream is obvious. But I'd like Greenway and Bracco with 2 of our 2nds.
I wonder if we can snatch a 1st or 2 out of LA or Boston..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really think we will see Treliving trade up, we have so many spare parts that can get that to work, all of our seconds and thirds, plus extra minor forward prospects, hell, Hiller even.
I'm not sure we do. Looking at Phoenix's last 5 drafts (with Treliving there) they only made 2 trades involving first round picks. 1 was trading Jokinen to us for a 1st, the other was the same year when they traded down from 22 to 27

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think that we are in a great situation this season to trade up, and I think it does make sense for us and for a few other teams. The Flyers and the Devils would be my two main targets to talk to. I think there might be players on the board worth making the leap for.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think that we are in a great situation this season to trade up, and I think it does make sense for us and for a few other teams. The Flyers and the Devils would be my two main targets to talk to. I think there might be players on the board worth making the leap for.

It'd cost a lot to move up imo. But if Rantanen or Werenski fall out of the top 10 I hope we trade up with Florida or Dallas.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
So I honestly haven't been paying much attention to the draft this year. So a few questions for those who have:

1. What position do you think the Flames should draft for first and foremost? My initial thought is defense.

2. Who are some of the big names around where the Flames will be drafting?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think its Either a skilled-scoring winger or a two-way defencemen.

I don't see us picking Konecny, he's just too small and just not skilled enough to make up the difference IMO. I also worry about little guys that play fierce hockey, it's hard to do at the next level.
I Really like J. Roy. and I think he has a huge ceiling... But we are already way to impish on the blueline. And I see him as a Kris Russel with a better shot.

I think we end up with either

Forwards:
Svechnikov (Although I doubt it because we rarely draft Euro's, especially Russians)
Joel Ek Eriksson (The guy put up ridiculous numbers and the more I think about it I doubt he falls to 15, typical of most swede's he under the radar). Size, speed, two-way play. Definitely intriguing.
Timo Meier Scores, and Hits. Seems like a Brian Burke type.
Paul Bittner Let's face it... If our team liked Richie last year, we are going to take a long look at this guy.
maybe one of Connor, or Zacha could be options as well.

D-men
Thomas Chabot This is my dream scenario. SOmething tells me he will be gone. But he seems like the perfect fit for our team. We need shutdown guys that are big and can skate and still move the puck effectively. I think Thomas does all those things well, he's improved as much as anyone in the draft. WOuld be a great pick at 15.
Nick Meloche Another guy I think is a bit less flashy, but you just win with these guys. Smart defensively. Good puck mover. Good skater. Physical. Totally under-rated in this draft IMO. I doubt the scouts will feel the same way.

Zboril (two-way, physical D) and Kylington could be options too

Interesting scenario's
A) Trade up. I want Werenski or Provorov. I'm especially high on Werenski. The kid is a beast. I saw him ranked at 11 and that was just wayyyy too low. I would package most of our picks if we could get one of these guys. Top four locks IMO.

B) Trade down and up. I'm not much of a fan of trading down. But there seems to be a large group of good players at 15. If we trade down 4 or 5 spots and pick up an extra second then I'm okay with that. If we feel there is equal talent on the board at W or D.
With that extra second we try to package some of our seconds together, move back into the first round. And walk away with Ek Ericsson and Meloche... A guy can dream right??

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
What happened with Kylington? This guy was supposed to be #3 or #4, and a lot of people have him in the 20-30 range now.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What happened with Kylington? This guy was supposed to be #3 or #4, and a lot of people have him in the 20-30 range now.

Didn't impress in the WJC, injured, isn't as good defensively as most saw.

Still has the elite offensive skill, but he has a lot of work to do. He was given a pretty good ranking at the beginning of the year because of how well he was playing in a men's league last year. I still think he has tons of potential, and he may be the best faller.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If he fell to 15, would he be someone the Flames should grab?

If our scouts felt that he can run it around, absolutely.

I have a feeling we pick a player in the CHL though. We're not as good as others drafting internationally.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I agree with your post Snipetype. I think Svechnikov, who is always ranked right about where we pick, would be an awesome winger beside Bennett.
Regardless there will be many good choices left at 15. I just hope if we take a RW first the next 2 are D.

As far as Kylington/Chabot...who would be more attractive: a guy who was once highly ranked that has fallen, or a guy that was lower ranked, but has risen?
Zboril may be a great 2nd rounder as he was ranked right with Chabot for most of the year.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
meier would be my go to pick unless someone drops. svechnikov seems interesting, I'd like to see them try and move up to the 25-35 range for one of those d-men.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
It'd cost a lot to move up imo. But if Rantanen or Werenski fall out of the top 10 I hope we trade up with Florida or Dallas.

Depends who's willing to trade down; Buffalo only gave up a 2nd to move up to get Girgensons and us Janko.

I think we have three 2nd rounders so if it means getting Werenski we should do our 1st + two 2nds

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I would rather wait and see if Kylington falls into our hands in the second round and then we could take a risk with him. I don't really see a need for drafting a LW in the first round. We already have great depth on LW in our system. We should really address our weaknesses in our system. I think Jeremy Roy would best help our system. RHS dmen ( which we desperately need more of) with top 4 ceiling. I think picking up a LW in the second round would be a good idea though.

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
Seems doubtful but I would love to keep the pick at #15 and then use 2 of the 2nds to move up to 28-35 range to take Kylington if he falls

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I like Chabot, Erikson Ek,and White at 15. Still not sold on Meier or Roy, although I have only seen them a limited number of times. But now that the Flames playoffs are over I'll be doing more research and probably come up with my own rankings.

I think 15 is too high to take Kylington and Meloche, although I really like Meloche I just think you'd be best to trade back a bit if that's your guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille