Official 2015 Calgary Flames Draft Thread: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Button was ok. Mudsy is weak. He has a weird habit of inflection making everything he says sound like a question.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Updated.

Pick | Picking Team | Original Pick | Highest | Lowest 1 |
EDM_zpsphqk6hbq.jpg
| Oilers | - | - 2 |
BUF_zpsgn7bfbss.jpg
| Sabres | - | - 3 |
ARZ_zps265w5o4g.jpg
| Coyotes | - | - 4 |
TOR_zpsdtu6jgbh.jpg
| Maple Leafs | - | - 5 |
CAR_zpsa0r2mpkg.jpg
| Hurricanes | - | - 6 |
NJD_zpsgu1uomdu.jpg
| Devils | - | - 7 |
PHI_zpsuqe2zakv.jpg
| Flyers | - | - 8 |
CBJ_zpskufemhmq.jpg
| Blue Jackets | - | - 9 |
SJS_zpsvlfottcg.jpg
| Sharks | - | - 10 |
COL_zpsrmclic6o.jpg
| Avalanche | - | - 11 |
FLA_zpsxuudtyfu.jpg
| Panthers | - | - 12 |
DAL_zpsq4xve02l.jpg
| Stars | - | - 13 |
LAK_zpshj3t5dg6.jpg
| Kings | - | - 14 |
BOS_zpsq8n7nb5p.jpg
| Bruins | - | - 15 |
CGY_zpsnjnz0c4a.jpg
| Flames | 15 | 30 16 |
EDM_zpsphqk6hbq.jpg
| Penguins | 15 | 16 17 |
WPG_zps7xdrxojd.jpg
| Jets | 16 | 17 18 |
OTT_zpsa5uf3itz.jpg
| Senators | 17 | 18 19 |
DET_zpsmknit3ol.jpg
| Red Wings | 18 | 19 20 |
MIN_zpsmkwtlubw.jpg
| Wild | 19 | 30 21 |
BUF_zpsgn7bfbss.jpg
| Islanders | 19 | 20 22 |
WSH_zpsjovqfqde.jpg
| Capitals | 20 | 30 23 |
VAN_zpssaof7y39.jpg
| Canucks | 20 | 21 24 |
ARZ_zps265w5o4g.jpg
| Blackhawks | 21 | 30 25 |
TOR_zpsdtu6jgbh.jpg
| Predators | 21 | 23 26 |
PHI_zpsuqe2zakv.jpg
| Lightning | 22 | 30 27 |
WPG_zps7xdrxojd.jpg
| Blues | 23 | 26 28 |
AHM_zpsjxbecjau.jpg
| Ducks | 24 | 30 29 |
MON_zpssjjy61eb.jpg
| Canadiens | 24 | 30 30 |
TBL_zpsyvwaz2fu.jpg
| Rangers | 24 | 30

Last edited:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
The three guys I would take at 15th OA are Chabot, Roy or Konecny. Chabot and Roy are pretty similar packages, solid two-way players. Chabot is considered one of the best skaters in the draft, and to be honest having Brodie (one of the current best skaters in the NHL) with Chabot (one of the best skaters in this draft) makes me giddy. He's left-handed, though, and we could really use a RHD like Roy. Both guys are character players, which fits in the Flames system. Konecny is, by far, the most fitting Flames-style player in this draft, though. Fast, skilled, tough and tenacious. Picking him decreases our overall size, but he plays like a Paul Byron with finish and hockey IQ. Helps that all these guys are Canadian and it seems like Treliving prefers Canadian boys. Most people have us pegged as picking Svechnikov, but besides Rafikov I can't remember the last time the Flames picked a Russian. Doubt they pick him. Roy seems like the best bet here, but I wouldn't be upset if one of the other two was chosen. Treliving says he prefers skating over stick skills, so we might see Chabot in our pool soon.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The three guys I would take at 15th OA are Chabot, Roy or Konecny. Chabot and Roy are pretty similar packages, solid two-way players. Chabot is considered one of the best skaters in the draft, and to be honest having Brodie (one of the current best skaters in the NHL) with Chabot (one of the best skaters in this draft) makes me giddy. He's left-handed, though, and we could really use a RHD like Roy. Both guys are character players, which fits in the Flames system. Konecny is, by far, the most fitting Flames-style player in this draft, though. Fast, skilled, tough and tenacious. Picking him decreases our overall size, but he plays like a Paul Byron with finish and hockey IQ. Helps that all these guys are Canadian and it seems like Treliving prefers Canadian boys. Most people have us pegged as picking Svechnikov, but besides Rafikov I can't remember the last time the Flames picked a Russian. Doubt they pick him. Roy seems like the best bet here, but I wouldn't be upset if one of the other two was chosen. Treliving says he prefers skating over stick skills, so we might see Chabot in our pool soon.

I could see us picking Svechnikov. Or any skilled winger for that matter. This may be the last time we ever pick high in the first round. Often the middle of the first is a great place to pick high end wing talent.

Svecknikov would be good. 6'2", 78 points in 55 games as a CHL rookie!! And he would give Rushan a fellow Russian in the organization. The language and the culture is so different, it could really help them both if we get a few Russian guys in here.

We are pretty weak on the wing organizationally IMO, and as much as we need a defencemen, I think we need a scoring line winger or two as well.

That said I would be over the moon with Chabot or Roy. I just have my doubts they will be there at 15. If we even pick there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
updated again
Updated.

EDM_zpsphqk6hbq.jpg
| Oilers | - | - 2 |
BUF_zpsgn7bfbss.jpg
| Sabres | - | - 3 |
ARZ_zps265w5o4g.jpg
| Coyotes | - | - 4 |
TOR_zpsdtu6jgbh.jpg
CAR_zpsa0r2mpkg.jpg
| Hurricanes | - | - 6 |
NJD_zpsgu1uomdu.jpg
| Devils | - | - 7 |
PHI_zpsuqe2zakv.jpg
| Flyers | - | - 8 |
CBJ_zpskufemhmq.jpg
SJS_zpsvlfottcg.jpg
| Sharks | - | - 10 |
COL_zpsrmclic6o.jpg
| Avalanche | - | - 11 |
FLA_zpsxuudtyfu.jpg
| Panthers | - | - 12 |
DAL_zpsq4xve02l.jpg
| Stars | - | - 13 |
LAK_zpshj3t5dg6.jpg
| Kings | - | - 14 |
BOS_zpsq8n7nb5p.jpg
| Bruins | - | - 15 |
CGY_zpsnjnz0c4a.jpg
| Flames | 15 | 30 16 |
EDM_zpsphqk6hbq.jpg
WPG_zps7xdrxojd.jpg
| Jets | 16 | 17 18 |
OTT_zpsa5uf3itz.jpg
DET_zpsmknit3ol.jpg
MIN_zpsmkwtlubw.jpg
| Wild | 19 | 30 21 |
BUF_zpsgn7bfbss.jpg
| Islanders | 19 | 20 22 |
WSH_zpsjovqfqde.jpg
| Capitals | 20 | 30 23 |
VAN_zpssaof7y39.jpg
| Canucks | 20 | 21 24 |
ARZ_zps265w5o4g.jpg
| Blackhawks | 21 | 30 25 |
TOR_zpsdtu6jgbh.jpg
| Predators | 21 | 23 26 |
PHI_zpsuqe2zakv.jpg
| Lightning | 22 | 30 27 |
WPG_zps7xdrxojd.jpg
| Blues | 23 | 26 28 |
AHM_zpsjxbecjau.jpg
| Ducks | 24 | 30 29 |
MON_zpssjjy61eb.jpg
TBL_zpsyvwaz2fu.jpg
| Rangers | 24 | 30

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
lots of potential elite players available at 15. although beating anaheim and drafting later wouldn't be the worst. still hoping for meier or an elite top 4 dman prospect.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Who was that player the Oilers tried to sign but it turned out he was still draft eligible? Is it bad I kind of want to use one of our picks on him just to piss off the Oilers?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If the Flames pick around the 27-30 range, hopefully one of Carlo, Sprong or Harkins are there at that pick.

Aug 21, 2014
Who was that player the Oilers tried to sign but it turned out he was still draft eligible? Is it bad I kind of want to use one of our picks on him just to piss off the Oilers?

Not at all. But I wouldn't waste a pick on him. :laugh:

He's currently ranked as 159th for NA skaters.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Fixed that for you. :) What's the scouting report in those guys?

Carlo is supposedly limited offensive ability, big dman who's fairly mobile and possibly NHL ready as early as next season. Not as familiar with the other two.

I see Carlo as a faller, but that does not mean that he can't be NHL ready as soon as next year as SoV mentioned. I think we'll probably give him another year in the WHL if we do pick him.

Sprong is arguably a top 5 offensive player in this draft, the only issue with him is his character. Sometimes he can hog the puck and try to do everything on his own because his drive to win the game is great. I love his offensive drive, but he really needs to use his teammates a lot more.

Harkins is one of the best 2-way players in the draft and has great character, pretty much exemplifying what the Flames are all about.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Carlo is supposedly limited offensive ability, big dman who's fairly mobile and possibly NHL ready as early as next season. Not as familiar with the other two.

Nicholas Meloche is a really, really good prospect too. 6'2 RHD. Skates very well, is physical and has good offensive upside. He's consistently ranked in the mid 20s to 30s but I would not be surprised at all if he goes in the middle of the first.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Updated to include the Wild's elimination.

EDM_zpsphqk6hbq.jpg
| Oilers | - | - 2 |
BUF_zpsgn7bfbss.jpg
| Sabres | - | - 3 |
ARZ_zps265w5o4g.jpg
| Coyotes | - | - 4 |
TOR_zpsdtu6jgbh.jpg
CAR_zpsa0r2mpkg.jpg
| Hurricanes | - | - 6 |
NJD_zpsgu1uomdu.jpg
| Devils | - | - 7 |
PHI_zpsuqe2zakv.jpg
| Flyers | - | - 8 |
CBJ_zpskufemhmq.jpg
SJS_zpsvlfottcg.jpg
| Sharks | - | - 10 |
COL_zpsrmclic6o.jpg
| Avalanche | - | - 11 |
FLA_zpsxuudtyfu.jpg
| Panthers | - | - 12 |
DAL_zpsq4xve02l.jpg
| Stars | - | - 13 |
LAK_zpshj3t5dg6.jpg
| Kings | - | - 14 |
BOS_zpsq8n7nb5p.jpg
| Bruins | - | - 15 |
CGY_zpsnjnz0c4a.jpg
| Flames | 15 | 30 16 |
EDM_zpsphqk6hbq.jpg
WPG_zps7xdrxojd.jpg
| Jets | 16 | 17 18 |
OTT_zpsa5uf3itz.jpg
DET_zpsmknit3ol.jpg
MIN_zpsmkwtlubw.jpg
| Wild | 19 | 20 21 |
BUF_zpsgn7bfbss.jpg
| Islanders | 20 | 21 22 |
WSH_zpsjovqfqde.jpg
| Capitals | 21 | 30 23 |
VAN_zpssaof7y39.jpg
| Canucks | 21 | 23 25 |
TOR_zpsdtu6jgbh.jpg
| Predators | 22 | 24 26 |
PHI_zpsuqe2zakv.jpg
| Lightning | 23 | 30 27 |
WPG_zps7xdrxojd.jpg
| Blues | 23 | 26 24 |
ARZ_zps265w5o4g.jpg
| Blackhawks | 27 | 30 28 |
AHM_zpsjxbecjau.jpg
| Ducks | 24 | 30 29 |
MON_zpssjjy61eb.jpg
TBL_zpsyvwaz2fu.jpg
| Rangers | 24 | 30

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Nicholas Meloche is a really, really good prospect too. 6'2 RHD. Skates very well, is physical and has good offensive upside. He's consistently ranked in the mid 20s to 30s but I would not be surprised at all if he goes in the middle of the first.

I like Meloche too, but I doubt he goes that high. I've only seen Button have him in the mid/high 20's. I think it's very likely he slips to the second round.
If we take a RW with the first pick, I'd love to grab Meloche with our first 2nd.
With Vancouver's 2nd I'd like to take a shot on Zeigenthaler. Trade a Swiss for a Swiss. Then we could take a flyer on a an offensive guy like Korostelev.

Svech/Sprong
Meloche/Juulsen
Zeigenthaler
Korostelev

I think that would instantly upgrade our weakest areas, and would be a great start to our draft

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I would be ecstatic if we picked this guy up in the 2nd round

Keegan Kolesar, big RW, gritty, offensive ability, top 6 upside
sounds like a player the Flames could really use

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=197560

And for our first round choice (if 15th overall) I would choose Meloche or Roy, maybe Konechy, but he is a pretty small guy and we need to get bigger up front

With our second rounders I would definitely pick up Kolesar and seeing where they land I would go after Pilon, Carlo, Sprong (if he luckily falls into our hands), Rasmus Andersson or Austen Wagner

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I haven't really been following the draft all season since we were a playoff team. So, who are we liking in our spot?

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Well since we now for sure have the 15th OA I think our best choices would be (in order of preference)

Nicolas Meloche (RHD)
Jeremy Roy (RHD)
Travis Konechy (RHS C)
Timo Meier (LHS W)

I really think picking up one of those defensemen would be the best choice, would really help with our dman prospect depth

But if somehow Mathew Barzal fell into our hands he would be an exception. Highly unlikely though

Forgot to add Thomas Chabot (LHD) into the mix as well

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Well since we now for sure have the 15th OA I think our best choices would be (in order of preference)

Nicolas Meloche (RHD)
Jeremy Roy (RHD)
Travis Konechy (RHS C)

Timo Meier (LHS W)

I really think picking up one of those defensemen would be the best choice, would really help with our dman prospect depth

But if somehow Mathew Barzal fell into our hands he would be an exception. Highly unlikely though

Forgot to add Thomas Chabot (LHD) into the mix as well

I like all of the bolded not too high on either of Meier or Meloche no particular reason why though. If Konecny does fall to us we should jump all over it before the year he was supposed to be a top 8, somewhat like Monahan his numbers suffered from being on a 67's team that had depth scoring but not much first line/high end production.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I like all of the bolded not too high on either of Meier or Meloche no particular reason why though. If Konecny does fall to us we should jump all over it before the year he was supposed to be a top 8, somewhat like Monahan his numbers suffered from being on a 67's team that had depth scoring but not much first line/high end production.

Honestly I like everything about Konechy except for his size which is a big factor for me. After watching the ducks series it really showed we need to get bigger up front and Konechy is only 5'9 if I'm correct. But I can't deny he is a great player with top 6 potential which we need. I think after thinking through it I would probably pick Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad