Official 2015 Calgary Flames Draft Thread: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
im not even gonna try and predict who falls. I don't see how some unexpected players wouldn't rise/fall in a draft like this.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
In case anyone hasn't seen them yet, HockeyPwns a guy on YouTube has shift by shift videos of all the top prospects in this draft. They're pretty handy if you don't have access to watch full games as it is not a highlight video so you get to see what the player is truly like.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
:flames:MY TOP 3 CHOICES FOR THE 15th OVERALL:flames

not in order​

THOMAS CHABOT
Defence - Shoots Left - 6"2' - 180 lbs - Saint Johns Sea Dogs
SNB_Chabot2014152244.jpg

__________GP - G - A - PTS - +/-
2013/2014 - 55 - 1 - 21 - 22 - -29
2014/2015 -66 - 12 - 29 - 41 - 6

"A strong passer who delivers pucks with good timing and accuracy…has the ability to read the play and pick-and-choose his spots…has a powerful stride that generates power but could improve the overall quickness in his feet…willing to join the offensive attack…handles the puck well…not a big point shot but gets it on net consistently…reads the play well in his own zone and defensively he has the size and reach to close off lanes…good transition defender that moves the puck up ice." - Future Considerations

"A silky, smooth skater, Chabot shows high potential as puck moving defensive prospect. He has the speed to join or lead the rush, and get back defensively. He has the edgework and agility to pivot quickly and cover large areas of the ice, or to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes. He is calm and composed with the puck, has good stickhandling ability and can make a strong pass either to start the transition, or set up a play from the blueline. His shot is decent, and he has good accuracy, but he could stand to add some more muscle, and make it even harder.Defensively he has good positioning and is willing to play a physical game in front of the net and in the corners.†- Ben Kerr - LWOS

(covers 3 draft prospects, including Chabot_

THN Rankings: 23
Future Considerations: 21
ISS: 16
CSS: 16

NICK MERKLEY
Right Wing - Shoots Right - 5"10' - 187 lbs - Kelowna Rockets
Merkley0055.jpg

2013-2014 - 66 - 25 -33 - 58 - 24
2014-2015 - 72 - 20 - 70 - 90 - 29

“An offensive forward that makes an impact in the game every time he touches the puck…improved skater this season and possess more jump in his step…not big by any stretch but shows a willingness to throw his weight around…impressive hockey sense and ability to think the game…very creative and crafty with the puck…plays a complete 200-foot game…a strong playmaker with impressive vision and touch on his passes…willing to take the puck to the net…has an effective shot that is quick off his stick." - Future Considerations

“In the mold of a true playmaker, Nick Merkley’s vision, anticipation and imaginative passing abilities are in the top echelon of the draft. Kelowna’s top scoring forward is a very good skater with elusive puck skills and he’s shown to be one of the WHL’s most consistent producers. Blessed with a fantastic motor and relentless work ethic, Merkley has the ability to push the pace of the game and force turnovers on the attack. He doesn’t shy away from traffic and engages physically with one focus on his mind – getting possession of the puck. At times, he overcomplicates the game but his competitive nature and playmaking abilities will ensure he becomes a first round selection. Merkley’s 16 goals and 70 points in 51 games with Kelowna has him ranked among the WHL’s top scorers.†- Brendan Ross - Dobber Sports

“Last season Merkley won the WHL Rookie of the Year award. He is another member of Canada’s 2015 Ivan Hlinka winning squad, and a quick riser on draft boards. After scoring four points in five games in the summer tournament, Merkley has exploded in Kelowna putting up 77 points in 56 games, good for third in WHL scoring. Merkley is a big reason why Kelowna was a WHL favorite even before they bolstered their lineup at the trade deadline. Merkley is currently listed at 5’10†and size is the major knock against him right now. Despite the size, Merkley isn’t afraid to go to the net, and to battle in the dirty areas of the ice. With his excellent balance, and good lower body strength, he is hard to knock off the puck. He’s got excellent offensive skills including superb vision and passing ability; a hard shot and good release; and high-end hockey IQ. Merkley is tenacious in the backcheck and uses his hockey IQ to anticipate plays and create turnovers. He has very good speed and gets the transition game going when he does steal pucks or intercept passes. He could stand to shoot the puck more though, as he has an accurate shot that he just doesn’t use enough. He could stand to add some strength and power though.“ - Ben Kerr - LWOS

THW: 16
FC: 16
Hockey Prospect: 16
LWOS: 18
ISS: 19

JAKUB ZBORIL
Defence - Shoots Left - 6"2' - 185 lbs - Saint Johns Sea Dogs
Jakub-Zboril-2.jpg

2014-2015 - 44 - 13-20 - 33 - 2

“A good two-way blue liner…plays a complete game and relies on his impressive footwork to maintain defensive coverage as well as put himself into the offensive play…has a good top speed and all-round mobility…has a dangerous point shot that is both accurate and hard…has a physical element to his game and will step up to make a hit…clears the crease and separates opponents form the puck with his body in the defensive zone…has an active stick…good upside as an all-round NHL defender." - FC

“Broke out at the 2014 Ivan Hlinka tournament (5GP-4G-2A-6P), Czech defenseman Jakub Zboril has the makings of an offensive defenseman. He is a creative passer and displays inspiring four-way mobility offering good offensive zone upside. Zboril has struggled with his game-to-game consistency and will need to continue to improve on his defensive play but he mixes his offensive tools and physicality too well to not be considered a first round talent. The rookie import shows an ability to play a North American style combining grit, mobility and a boomer of a shot. He’s missed some time in his draft year to injury but Zboril has notched nine goals and 23 points in only 34 QMJHL games.†- Brendan Ross - Dobber Sports

“Along with Pavel Zacha, Zboril is part of one of the best Czech draft classes in years, as the country has really turned around their hockey program following a number of dark years. Zboril was part of the silver medal winning squads at the 2013 U18 World Championship last spring, and the Ivan Hlinka this past summer. Drafted 5th overall in the CHL Import Draft, Zboril has put up 22 points in 33 games for the Saint John Sea Dogs Zboril is living up to the hype and looks like the total package on the blueline this season. He is an excellent powerplay quarterback, with strong poise with the puck and good vision and passing skill. He also has a rocket of a slap shot, and has already scored three goals. Zboril has good skating skill and his excellent pivots, edgework, and agility allow him to cover a ton of ice. He’s also not afraid to be physical in the defensive end of the ice.“ - Ben Kerr - LWOS

THW: 25
FC: 25
HockeyProspect: 21
LWOS: 20
Craig Button: 20
CSS: 11
ISS: 22
THN: 22

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
:flames:MY TOP 3 CHOICES FOR THE 15th OVERALL:flames

not in order​

THOMAS CHABOT
Defence - Shoots Left - 6"2' - 180 lbs - Saint Johns Sea Dogs
SNB_Chabot2014152244.jpg

2013/2014 - 55 - 1 - 21 - 22 - -29
2014/2015 -66 - 12 - 29 - 41 - 6

"A strong passer who delivers pucks with good timing and accuracy…has the ability to read the play and pick-and-choose his spots…has a powerful stride that generates power but could improve the overall quickness in his feet…willing to join the offensive attack…handles the puck well…not a big point shot but gets it on net consistently…reads the play well in his own zone and defensively he has the size and reach to close off lanes…good transition defender that moves the puck up ice." - Future Considerations

"A silky, smooth skater, Chabot shows high potential as puck moving defensive prospect. He has the speed to join or lead the rush, and get back defensively. He has the edgework and agility to pivot quickly and cover large areas of the ice, or to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes. He is calm and composed with the puck, has good stickhandling ability and can make a strong pass either to start the transition, or set up a play from the blueline. His shot is decent, and he has good accuracy, but he could stand to add some more muscle, and make it even harder.Defensively he has good positioning and is willing to play a physical game in front of the net and in the corners.†- Ben Kerr - LWOS

(covers 3 draft prospects, including Chabot_

THN Rankings: 23
Future Considerations: 21
ISS: 16
CSS: 16

NICK MERKLEY
Right Wing - Shoots Right - 5"10' - 187 lbs - Kelowna Rockets
Merkley0055.jpg

2013-2014 - 66 - 25 -33 - 58 - 24
2014-2015 - 72 - 20 - 70 - 90 - 29

“An offensive forward that makes an impact in the game every time he touches the puck…improved skater this season and possess more jump in his step…not big by any stretch but shows a willingness to throw his weight around…impressive hockey sense and ability to think the game…very creative and crafty with the puck…plays a complete 200-foot game…a strong playmaker with impressive vision and touch on his passes…willing to take the puck to the net…has an effective shot that is quick off his stick." - Future Considerations

“In the mold of a true playmaker, Nick Merkley’s vision, anticipation and imaginative passing abilities are in the top echelon of the draft. Kelowna’s top scoring forward is a very good skater with elusive puck skills and he’s shown to be one of the WHL’s most consistent producers. Blessed with a fantastic motor and relentless work ethic, Merkley has the ability to push the pace of the game and force turnovers on the attack. He doesn’t shy away from traffic and engages physically with one focus on his mind – getting possession of the puck. At times, he overcomplicates the game but his competitive nature and playmaking abilities will ensure he becomes a first round selection. Merkley’s 16 goals and 70 points in 51 games with Kelowna has him ranked among the WHL’s top scorers.†- Brendan Ross - Dobber Sports

“Last season Merkley won the WHL Rookie of the Year award. He is another member of Canada’s 2015 Ivan Hlinka winning squad, and a quick riser on draft boards. After scoring four points in five games in the summer tournament, Merkley has exploded in Kelowna putting up 77 points in 56 games, good for third in WHL scoring. Merkley is a big reason why Kelowna was a WHL favorite even before they bolstered their lineup at the trade deadline. Merkley is currently listed at 5’10†and size is the major knock against him right now. Despite the size, Merkley isn’t afraid to go to the net, and to battle in the dirty areas of the ice. With his excellent balance, and good lower body strength, he is hard to knock off the puck. He’s got excellent offensive skills including superb vision and passing ability; a hard shot and good release; and high-end hockey IQ. Merkley is tenacious in the backcheck and uses his hockey IQ to anticipate plays and create turnovers. He has very good speed and gets the transition game going when he does steal pucks or intercept passes. He could stand to shoot the puck more though, as he has an accurate shot that he just doesn’t use enough. He could stand to add some strength and power though.“ - Ben Kerr - LWOS

THW: 16
FC: 16
Hockey Prospect: 16
LWOS: 18
ISS: 19

JAKUB ZBORIL
Defence - Shoots Left - 6"2' - 185 lbs - Saint Johns Sea Dogs
Jakub-Zboril-2.jpg

2014-2015 - 44 - 13-20 - 33 - 2

“A good two-way blue liner…plays a complete game and relies on his impressive footwork to maintain defensive coverage as well as put himself into the offensive play…has a good top speed and all-round mobility…has a dangerous point shot that is both accurate and hard…has a physical element to his game and will step up to make a hit…clears the crease and separates opponents form the puck with his body in the defensive zone…has an active stick…good upside as an all-round NHL defender." - FC

“Broke out at the 2014 Ivan Hlinka tournament (5GP-4G-2A-6P), Czech defenseman Jakub Zboril has the makings of an offensive defenseman. He is a creative passer and displays inspiring four-way mobility offering good offensive zone upside. Zboril has struggled with his game-to-game consistency and will need to continue to improve on his defensive play but he mixes his offensive tools and physicality too well to not be considered a first round talent. The rookie import shows an ability to play a North American style combining grit, mobility and a boomer of a shot. He’s missed some time in his draft year to injury but Zboril has notched nine goals and 23 points in only 34 QMJHL games.†- Brendan Ross - Dobber Sports

“Along with Pavel Zacha, Zboril is part of one of the best Czech draft classes in years, as the country has really turned around their hockey program following a number of dark years. Zboril was part of the silver medal winning squads at the 2013 U18 World Championship last spring, and the Ivan Hlinka this past summer. Drafted 5th overall in the CHL Import Draft, Zboril has put up 22 points in 33 games for the Saint John Sea Dogs Zboril is living up to the hype and looks like the total package on the blueline this season. He is an excellent powerplay quarterback, with strong poise with the puck and good vision and passing skill. He also has a rocket of a slap shot, and has already scored three goals. Zboril has good skating skill and his excellent pivots, edgework, and agility allow him to cover a ton of ice. He’s also not afraid to be physical in the defensive end of the ice.“ - Ben Kerr - LWOS

THW: 25
FC: 25
HockeyProspect: 21
LWOS: 20
Craig Button: 20
CSS: 11
ISS: 22
THN: 22
I know we need defenseman and everything but.. #DraftNickMerkley

St Wardo

Registered Prophet
Oct 16, 2013
New Brunswick
I'm not sold on Zboril. He was a beast in the playoffs and hit anything that moved, but was quite lazy in the regular season from what I saw

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I get taking the BPA is important but I really think it would be a good idea taking a RHS in the first round, because we don't really have any RHS forwards prospects with a top 6 ceiling and we don't have too many RHS defense prospects with top 4 ceiling, and maybe it's just me but I like when we have at least two righties in the top 6 forward core

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I agree with what Stewie said. You just can't pass up what could be the most offensively gifted D-man in the draft in many peoples opinion at #15 if you can get him. I just don't know why he is falling so hard? He got hurt. Things like that happen. He is still young enough and growing for it not to be a concern moving forward. He also bounced around quite a bit this year.

Its not his injury. Its the fact he can't play defense. People thought he would be able to shore up his defense this season but it just didn't materialize. He is a real wildcard right now.

I really like Nki's write up on him.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=96569163&postcount=108

Aug 21, 2014
It's easier to teach defense than offense. ;)

Plus Brodie would huge on teaching/developing Kylington. Both have really good (dare I say elite) skating.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
It's easier to teach defense than offense. ;)

Plus Brodie would huge on teaching/developing Kylington. Both have really good (dare I say elite) skating.

Yes, that is why he won't fall past the Wings I mean as someone suggested trading down and picking him up in the 2nd, he wno't make it past the wings let alone the 2nd round.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I get taking the BPA is important but I really think it would be a good idea taking a RHS in the first round, because we don't really have any RHS forwards prospects with a top 6 ceiling and we don't have too many RHS defense prospects with top 4 ceiling, and maybe it's just me but I like when we have at least two righties in the top 6 forward core

And I get if everything is equal sure go ahead and take into account what way a player shoots but having your heart set on drafting a right handed player regardless is probably not a good way to draft. I personally have never put much stock into if a player is right or left handed, and I understand a rhs is a luxury we don't have in our organization but if a left handed player is a better player I would rather him on my team. Which way a player shoots imo has a lot less bearing on the outcome of the game than all the other skills that need to be looked at. Bottom line look for the best players.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
And I get if everything is equal sure go ahead and take into account what way a player shoots but having your heart set on drafting a right handed player regardless is probably not a good way to draft. I personally have never put much stock into if a player is right or left handed, and I understand a rhs is a luxury we don't have in our organization but if a left handed player is a better player I would rather him on my team. Which way a player shoots imo has a lot less bearing on the outcome of the game than all the other skills that need to be looked at. Bottom line look for the best players.

Agreed. A good example is the Wings: they've averaged between 1-3 right-hand shots on the team for most of the post-lockout seasons (at least one of which was always a bottom 6 plug), and they were just fine.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC

Fair fair

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
BT was just saying that he wants to get faster and bigger if it doesn't take away from skill. With that in mind who do you think we take 15th OA. If he wanted to get a dman I would say it would come down to Roy vs. Chabot. Forwards I don't know

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
They're probably looking at Meier (LW/RW) or Svechnikov (LW), both have the size and skill.

Konecny and Merkley are a lot better in skill than Meier, but they are a bit on the smaller end.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think part of that is they have to play big too. I think some of the big guys in this draft don't warrant being picked that high though, so does this open up the door to moving back or up? Barring what happens above us of course. For arguments sake we can throw out a few name knowing what management is looking for and see if it would be worth moving up or down or picking at 15.
Lawson Crouse 6'4" 215
Zach Werenski 6'2" 206
Mikko Rantanen 6'3.5" 211
Pavel Zacha 6'3" 210
Kyle Connor 6'1" but needs to fill out
Jeremy Roy 6' 188 so not huge
Thomas Chabot 6'2" but needs to fill out
Paul Bittner 6'4" 204
Joel Ek-Erikson 6'2" 180
Nicholas Meloche 6'3" 204
Brandon Carlo 6'5" 196

Of course I don't necessarily want us to draft any of these guys just looked at some of the larger guys for discussion. Fell free to add names

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He's not dropping to the third round :facepalm:

It was meant more in terms of a guy who was rated as high as top 5 at the start of the year and has completely fallen out of most first round projections.

Then again, even on draft day most people assumed someone would take a flier on Kabanov in the 2nd round too. The fact that he was on the board when we finally drafted in the 3rd and didn't take him was scandal.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It was meant more in terms of a guy who was rated as high as top 5 at the start of the year and has completely fallen out of most first round projections.

Then again, even on draft day most people assumed someone would take a flier on Kabanov in the 2nd round too. The fact that he was on the board when we finally drafted in the 3rd and didn't take him was scandal.
The comparison to Kabanov isn't even close. In fact, it's so far away it's practically a dot.

I think a closer comparison (in terms of situation re: draft rankings) is someone like Nylander, who was originally projected as top three in his draft year, only to fall off a lot of charts in a similar fashion.

I don't think anyone is going to be blown away by Kylington's defensive or physical games, it's his mobility and hockey sense that wowed people a year ago, those factors haven't changed, and will likely mean he goes in the top 30 this coming draft. While I don't know if the Flames take a chance on him (and I admit it would be a roll of the dice at #15) I can think of worse things to happen. Either way, I'm confident in our scouts.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
^^ exactly above, nailed it.

I think there's going to be a guy who falls a bit in the draft this year, it'll really be interesting, and I really hope we manage to get another major asset. There will be some quality players available when we go up and make our pick, I am confident our scouts make the right call... Or maybe we fall ass-backwards into another Sam Bennett type pickup (I think it's fairly clear he should have been a top 3 pick) and we all go laughing to the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->